ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #8986
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Am I crazy?

My son will be 2 in April and I am considering getting him a 50cc dirt bike for Christmas, am I crazy? Is he still to young for one?
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #8987
DirtRiderwjc2000
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post
My son will be 2 in April and I am considering getting him a 50cc dirt bike for Christmas, am I crazy? Is he still to young for one?
First son was riding at 5, my other two sons were riding at 3 w/o training wheels, but now none of them ride but they are great at COD black ops II.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #8988
kyjenkin
Squatchy

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
So the trials bike idea is burning in me. What should I be concerned about with a '95 gas gas 250cc trials bike I'm looking at?

Don't tell my wife, she has not gotten over me owning two bikes yet.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Cameron with Indymoto is/was a registered GG dealer and could probably get you what you need. He's out of Zionsville. His number is (317) 506-6241. Let him know Kyle Jenkins referred you.
kyjenkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #8989
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyjenkin View Post
Cameron with Indymoto is/was a registered GG dealer and could probably get you what you need. He's out of Zionsville. His number is (317) 506-6241. Let him know Kyle Jenkins referred you.

Indymoto closed its doors a couple months ago.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #8990
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRiderwjc2000 View Post
First son was riding at 5, my other two sons were riding at 3 w/o training wheels, but now none of them ride but they are great at COD black ops II.
So do you think you got them riding to young and thats why they no longer rider. Or jusr the fact that not everybody enjoys riding and they like COD better?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:06 AM   #8991
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,391
sheesh, it's been two years already! seems like it was just a few months ago you were waiting for the lilttle guys arrival.

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #8992
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
I used to think that getting kids on a bike early was a good thing. Not anymore--unless they show a killer interest and are willing to work for it. Sadly most kids aren't motorheads like most of our generation was. I used to think if you weren't interested in anything that burned gasoline, methanol or nitromethane you were probably into interior decorating or something.

Sadly most kids nowadays don't really care about motorized fun.

A few years back I watched a moto-dad berate his (maybe) ten year old son after a county fair moto-race for his poor performance. From the stories I was told during my time on the D-15 Board this was altogether way too frequent a happening at the races when parents got the wild idea that their kid was the next moto-superstar.

The bottom line? Let the kids ask YOU for a bike and then see how much effort they're willing to put into getting one. If nothing else make the kid read everything he can get his hands on and do the research about the bike(s) he wants. Let him set up a spreadsheet showing the pluses or minuses of each one. Make him get out and rake the yard or shovel some snow and teach 'em the work/reward system as early as possible. If the drive to own a bike is strong enough--as it was with me--he or she will make it known to the parents and eventually they'll get one. It took me 17 months as a thirteen/fourteen year old to come up with the money to buy a bike and I think the time spent working, scrimping and saving was an important lesson in my life. If you just give a kid a bike potentially it's just an expensive toy to be cast aside once the thrill goes away.
You make some valid points, but I see it as a 2 sided coin. I don't intend to just get or hand him over whatever he wants in life and he will have to work for things like I did. My parents didn't give a dime for my first car, I had to work and save the money up, much like you did for you first bike which gave you a great appreciation for it. I don't intend for my son to race, unless he makes the decision he wants to and then I will support him.

I think most kids these days are not motorheads generally because parents don't care to spend the time needed with them. A bike can teach him responsibility also, as he grows up if he does not behave or do his chores then he won't get to ride the bike when he wants. I also see it as an opportunity to teach him about bikes, spend time in the garage wrenching on the bikes and learning about motors. I want my son to know how to change oil on a bike or in a vehicle, something lots of kids these days have no clue how to do. Instead of sitting in the house infront of the TV or a computer...probably why most kids are not motorheads.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #8993
Trike Flyer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Landon,
I think your right on target with you thoughts and intentions. My girls were around 4 when they started riding some type of gas motorized toy. They never rode the 4 wheelers and motorcycles as much as I did growing up and I never pressured them, they are active in sports, cheer leading, and choir so they stay busy. Now 16, 18 and 21, they enjoy riding, two of them have their permits and will be taking the ABATE class, they work in the garage and want to take bike trips with me, that's awesome. We also never provided them the video game consoles so they explored outside.

Jeff
Trike Flyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #8994
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 997
If I may play devil's advocate here.... think about the weight of a helmet (even the youth sizes) and then think about the yet UN-developed spine/neck muscles of a 2~3 year old. Lifelong paralysis can come quicker than a blink of an eye...

Trust me, anyone that knows me knows that I pretty much live on two wheels. Not giving in to the urge to get my daughters riding early on was a tough bridge to cross for me. I was ready & wanted them to start riding about 45 minutes after exiting the hatchet wound, but I knew better and fought the urge because if something bad happened (just because I wanted them to ride so bad) I knew that I'd never, ever forgive myself...and I wouldn't expect them to either. Looking back, I'm glad that I waited... just my 2 cents worth.

Honda XR "Complete" S/M Wheels For Sale ---> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post20028089

TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #8995
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon View Post

I got Alex(you rode with him at Redbird)his first bike an XR50 when he was 5 it sat for almost a year,he had no interest in riding it and was scared to death when it was running. Once he started he liked it but never took a diehard interest in riding,there have been times he would rather do other things than go ride.

Now when it comes to BMX and freestyle BMX Alex is all over it,and even at 16 he wants another bicycle for Christmas. I think all the bicycle riding has helped him when it comes to riding a dirtbike,for no more than he rides I think he gets around pretty good when we do get out. So my thing would be put him on apeddle bike let him learn to balance that thing,ride some wheelies,360 bar spins,tail whips etc,then see if he wants to add a motor later on.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #8996
riderIN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
I used to think that getting kids on a bike early was a good thing. Not anymore--unless they show a killer interest and are willing to work for it. Sadly most kids aren't motorheads like most of our generation was. I used to think if you weren't interested in anything that burned gasoline, methanol or nitromethane you were probably into interior decorating or something.

Sadly most kids nowadays don't really care about motorized fun.

A few years back I watched a moto-dad berate his (maybe) ten year old son after a county fair moto-race for his poor performance. From the stories I was told during my time on the D-15 Board this was altogether way too frequent a happening at the races when parents got the wild idea that their kid was the next moto-superstar.

The bottom line? Let the kids ask YOU for a bike and then see how much effort they're willing to put into getting one. If nothing else make the kid read everything he can get his hands on and do the research about the bike(s) he wants. Let him set up a spreadsheet showing the pluses or minuses of each one. Make him get out and rake the yard or shovel some snow and teach 'em the work/reward system as early as possible. If the drive to own a bike is strong enough--as it was with me--he or she will make it known to the parents and eventually they'll get one. It took me 17 months as a thirteen/fourteen year old to come up with the money to buy a bike and I think the time spent working, scrimping and saving was an important lesson in my life. If you just give a kid a bike potentially it's just an expensive toy to be cast aside once the thrill goes away.
Agree!
I'd let him be in the garage around my bike,I'd take him to races....,and if he is begging to get a bike I first let him ride somebody else's bike.If he is still interested,then shop around.Every kid loves dogs,it is nice to pet the neighbor's dog,and they promise to feed and clean up after them,when you buy one they do that for about a month.My 2 cents
riderIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #8997
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 2,990
I don't have any kids but I started taking my dog for motorcycle rides when she was 6 months old. She's 10 years old now and throughs a fit anytime I don't take her.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #8998
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
I don't have any kids but I started taking my dog for motorcycle rides when she was 6 months old. She's 10 years old now and throughs a fit anytime I don't take her.

seriously?

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #8999
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 2,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
seriously?
yep...that's how I came up with indypup for my screen name. Her name is Indy and everyone thinks she is still a pup because of her size.

I don't take her on long trips anymore because she is older. Maybe for an hour and then a walk.

I normally take her for a ride/walk everyday after work during the summer. It's my stress release for the day and she likes it too. lol

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #9000
Landon
Studly Adventurer

New Years Ride!!!

Last year Indypup and I headed down to KY and rode Stree, Turkeyfoot, and part of Redbird Crest. I am thinking with New Years being on a Tuesday I can swing a 4 day weekend. Of course plans may change last minute depending on weather at that time of year.

Anybody else interested in making a trip down this year?