ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #9181
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
We need to start our own New Year's Day tradition. Ideas???
The Louisville BMW riders group always rides over to Leavenworth (Overlook Restaurant) for breakfast on New Years day. They even don't mind if Jap bike trash come along!

Might be a long ride down for you guys but it's an idea.
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #9182
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
I woke up this morning and said to myself, "Self, we oughta do something silly on New Year's Day."

I've been trying to get myself into the mood to do the "Hangover Rally" but on a good day they'll get eight hundred pirates showing up and you end up standing around in the cold for hours waiting for the results.

We need to start our own New Year's Day tradition. Ideas???
Last holiday ride I did with you............well let's just say there were front tire friction issues

But I'm in because I'm doing the Hangover rally if nothing happens here. I've got to start putting in a lot of miles to get ready for the race/rally in April.
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #9183
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Should Bernie's be closed head for the tavern west of there in downtown Morgantown (Frenchy's Pub?). One or the other should be open. One liability of Frenchy's is we'd have to deal with the pirates who are always parked out front.

Some Sunday we'll hit the restaurant at Bean Blossom. AC909 says it a good 'un.
The restaurant at Bean Blossum is a good one; however, I do prefer the Cafe 58 (I know, longer ride for you upstate yankees) on Highway 58 at Kurtz (west of Freetown); they have HUGE portions (and taste good too) and nobody should ever go away hungry from that place.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #9184
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson357 View Post
Last holiday ride I did with you............well let's just say there were front tire friction issues

But I'm in because I'm doing the Hangover rally if nothing happens here. I've got to start putting in a lot of miles to get ready for the race/rally in April.
Taking the day off?

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #9185
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Quote:

If not for the tradition of spending New Year's Eve with my wife I'd be up for an overnight somewhere. Don't let me stop you from doing something like that, though--that might be fun.
I posted up last week about going down to Redbird Crest, S-tree, and Turkeyfoot. Didn't seem to generate much interest. Anyway, thats my plan as long as the weather is decent.
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #9186
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
Taking the day off?
Kinda, well trading for a training day but yeah off going riding.

Tim I think it probably happens nation wide that the people following tend to fall more....in theroy if you are looking ahead, as you should anyway, you think the corner is free of sand etc....because you saw the other guy make it so you don't pay as much attention to it as you should. Sooooooo not your fault the blame lies with the dummy that went down. That is what is great about our sport it's not a team sport you make or break your own luck.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:24 PM   #9187
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
It's gotten so that everyone who follows me ends up bleeding. It's one of the reasons I hate to lead anyone around anymore.
That's become a regular thing with me too. Just keep an eye on the mirrors to see who's biffing it, getting a headlight busted out from my rear tire or who's about to get shot behind me.... Dang, I gotta learn to let someone else lead the pack once in awhile! :p:)

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:27 PM   #9188
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Come to think about it I almost went down following you. I have a witness but I cant remember his name on here.

In memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
Old 12-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #9189
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Quote:
That's what's really horrifying--watching someone slide out, highside or seeing their bike going end-over-end in your mirrors.

The mornings lately where I've ridden down all by my lonesome--where I haven't had to worry about whoever was behind me--were some of the most fun I've had lately.

For all of you who are always wanting to follow me please don't get offended but honestly anymore I'd rather go alone and meet up with you later. The constant worry of what may be going on behind me is taking all the fun out of it.

You're killin me..........you are starting to sound like Bob Costas.....actually don't be around me during meals anymore either, pretty sure it's your fault I've gained weight
Old 12-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #9190
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
Come to think about it I almost went down following you. I have a witness but I cant remember his name on here.
Lufin

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #9191
Indiana Bones
Ride or Die

Oddometer: 1,136
My freakin hero....enjoy if you haven't already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcxkR...e_gdata_player
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #9192
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 842
2 Cents

Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel the pressure to operate outside my comfort zone. Everyone has a different skill set. I have'nt felt the need to prove anything for a good long time.
Nothing at all wrong with asking pre-ride what to expect in terms of difficulty, though some rides just "evolve". [say Kevlar]
My ultimate responsibility is to get home in one piece and not tear up anything too expensive. Again, that part is my responsibility...
Blaming someone else for getting sucked into doing something stupid didn't fly well when I was a kid and still doesn't.
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #9193
Small's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Laugh Crashing

I have bad luck with people crashing behind me also. A few years back a hand full of us were riding down 135 in those last few corners before freetown at a high rate of speed. When i hit the straight going into Freetown i looked back and nobody was behind me. Long story short the guy behind me missed the corner his bike went off in the creek/drainage ditch and when i got back there he was laying on his side about 100 yards out in the field and i thought oh sh$& he's dead. Of course he didnt have a helmet on. I started walking out there with that bad feeling in my stomach when i got the big relief he said "George is my bike rideable". It was completely totalled. He came out with a bruised tail bone. Last year on HNF Howard went down behind me outside of Martinsville then later on a yellow klr went down behind me and later that day I was following Frank when we shot over a hill and wow there was a hard left and he went sliding out in the giggle weeds into the woods And i went off the road 10-15 feet or so. Oh well, thats the memories that last the longest.
Small's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #9194
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Wink

Quote:

Everybody wants a track log of where to ride. Every hear of maps??? Use the GPS as a tool to know where you're at, not something to follow. Obtain a good map and go exploring. Like I've said before I wasn't born with the knowledge of the south-central Indiana woodlands. I learned where to go long before I had a GPS. Better yet turn the damn thing off, get the map out and try finding your way with it and a compass. It's actually a lot of fun to get lost.

I'm happy to share what I know but following me? It's getting old.

Rant over. I gotta go load a truck.
Im intrigued. Tell me more about these map things. Is there an app for these?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 AM   #9195
lufin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253

2009 R1200GS
1987 GL1200 Aspencade
lufin is offline   Reply With Quote