ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM   #9631
CJames0587
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
I saw that grizly bear at the hnf ride! He was stealing our pic a nic a baskets and beer.
I saw him passing out Hamm's to everyone, didn't think that stuff was worth stealing

CJames0587 screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 06:41 PM
CJames0587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #9632
hilljak
Hayseed

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Any ideas and feedback would be appreciated.

Proving I'm an idiot without ever speaking...
hilljak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #9633
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,222
woodsrat, visit tractor supply or rural king for rubber booties.
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #9634
szramer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by indypup View Post
Supposed to be 60 degrees Saturday! Woohoo! Anyone riding off-road anywhere?
ready for haspin , whos in!! , mud and snow! , hell yeah!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #9635
TripleThreat719
Track Addict ADV Wannabe

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
I'm curious--any of you ride in knee-high rubber boots?
I agree that wet feet can be a miserable condition, however, given the advances in materials over the last 40 years and the fact that feet can get wet just as easily from sweating when placed inside a non-breathable shoe or boot as they can from splashing through water, I personally would avoid a rubber boot.

I find that the key to staying comfortable when riding is to dress in such a way as to stay warm and dry, which also includes avoiding over dressing, or dressing in clothes that don't breathe well.

I've learned the hard way from overdressing, sweating while riding and then stopping to refuel or to allow my ass to take a break from the seat, that I can become very cold and miserable when I resume riding. I don't typically notice it if I never vary my activity level unless it's really cold, but sweat-wet is no better in the long run that splashed or rain-wet in my opinion. The only difference is in the short term where splashed or rain-wet has the initial shock of being immediately cold rather than a delayed cold.

Gore-tex is a beautiful thing. Boots made with it and riding suits made from it seem to be the absolute best option.

I do realize that it is very expensive, so the initial investment in the gear prevents many people from ever owning it.

I, myself, would love to have a set of Klim Badlands gear, but so far haven't been able to bring myself to spend $1200 - $1400 on a riding suit. I don't ride far enough, often enough to be able to justify the cost in my own mind yet.

So, in the end, maybe the rubber boot option is perfect for the shorter distance stuff when just out sloshing around in it locally this spring. You could buy a lot of pairs of rubber boots for the cost of one nice pair of adventure riding boots made with Gore-tex.

Interested if others have tried it. Given the predictions for 1" to 2" of rain over the next few days and the amount of snow left on the ground, there will likely be some localized flooding issues that may even warrant riding in a set of chest waders!
2003 KTM 640 Adventure
2009 Husqvarna TE 310
TripleThreat719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #9636
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,045
Para-Biking!!

Wow... Coolest new wintertime thing that I've seen in awhile! Why didn't I think of that?!? Hmmmm... I think it's time to teach the Punkin' Chucker how to fly...

TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #9637
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,385
spotted

beamer 1200 30/meridian

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #9638
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,385
Toslow thats insane!

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #9639
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,170
Quote:
I need someone to do heliarc welding for me on the various fab projects I do. I can't seem to reliably find anyone to do it for me. I've had some incredibly talented people work for me but the last one got married and moved too far away for me to make the drive for a two minute weld job. Another guy I know is absolutely fantastic--his skills with metal are incredible--but taking him a two minute weld job will cost me a full day because we'll have to talk for an hour or two, then go get dinner, go visit his friends and in the end I may or may not get the job done.

At another shop I've been using the parts might lay around for a week or two and end up covered in dust before they do the job or I pick it up in disgust.

Anyway if anyone knows of a heliarc welder who can do both steel and aluminum, preferably within a half-hour drive of the Beech Grove area, PLEASE let me know. I don't expect them to do it for free, either and I've always well paid whoever did it for me in cash.

Thanks--I really appreciate it.

You try place by Cycle Outfitters?
Boots I have had good luck with 1000 gram thinsulate/gortex hunting boots but still going to run $200 plus

For all other bigger bike ADV guys testing a hot off the molding Michelin Anakee 3s on VStrom will give you an update soon. Actually made it through my muddy ass yard to my shop with them and super smooth on road. Coming off Shinko 705 that vibrated worse than knobbies on my XRL.
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #9640
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,433
Quote:
I need someone to do heliarc welding for me on the various fab projects I do. I can't seem to reliably find anyone to do it for me. I've had some incredibly talented people work for me but the last one got married and moved too far away for me to make the drive for a two minute weld job. Another guy I know is absolutely fantastic--his skills with metal are incredible--but taking him a two minute weld job will cost me a full day because we'll have to talk for an hour or two, then go get dinner, go visit his friends and in the end I may or may not get the job done.

At another shop I've been using the parts might lay around for a week or two and end up covered in dust before they do the job or I pick it up in disgust.

Anyway if anyone knows of a heliarc welder who can do both steel and aluminum, preferably within a half-hour drive of the Beech Grove area, PLEASE let me know. I don't expect them to do it for free, either and I've always well paid whoever did it for me in cash.

where is beach grove?
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #9641
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousracer View Post
where is beach grove?
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=beech+...&ved=0CJ0BELYD
Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #9642
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 821
Quote:

You might call Airco or Mineweld and ask them to recommend a good "independent".
Maybe someone over in Speedway if you're want'in it slick.
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #9643
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 559
I've had good luck going through deeper water/mud holes by using goretex boots with a pair of over the boot pants... Haven't been in anything deep enough for long enough to actually seep up high enough to go over the top of my boots, and my feet don't get sweaty and cold.
godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #9644
tpar1220 OP
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,515
Dont know what I am doing wrong then. Seems every time I go ride I am soaked to knee caps.'' my sidi discoveries are smellin like death.

Never again will I spend $$$ On boots just to screw em up like that. Or maybe I just need to stay on pavement... Fook that, I would rarher smell like straight up ass!

There will only be two things left moving after WW3.
Cockroaches & KLRs.
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #9645
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 821
Boots +

Cabela's has some good rubber boots, but the nice stuff is high $.
While browsing Cabela's site, I noticed some 70% merino wool 24" over-the-knee socks for wearing under fishing waders.
Want.
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote