ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #9736
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer
 
KneeKicker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 2,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
So who will have the smallest displacement bike on the HNF ride this year? Gonna be interesting...

2013 HNF ride preview...........

__________________
everything looks cool on motorcycle

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #9737
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee
 
mbabc's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Louisville, KY
Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
I spent the day at mbabc's helping him install his new 125cc Lifan into his "Frankenbike," a '64 Honda CT200 {snip....}
Thanks for blowing a cold rainy day carving on my CT Tim.

Going to be under steam before too long!






__________________
"I have never seen a Kentuckian without a gun and a pack of cards and a bottle of whiskey." - Gen. Andrew Jackson
'08 WR250R - '12 Super Tenere - '64 CT-Frankentrail
Little Blue goes looking for Orange
I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #9738
gplane
Brush With Destiny
 
gplane's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: 58-37
Oddometer: 903
Lifan

Am I seeing a big, nice plate under there?
Great project.
Today's fortune cookie sez "You Will Meet the Nicest People."

gplane screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 08:16 AM Reason: apostrophy
gplane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #9739
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dfye55's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: south central Indiana
Oddometer: 267
Wink smallest displacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
So who will have the smallest displacement bike on the HNF ride this year? Gonna be interesting...
oooh, maybe I'll resurect my 1hp 4 cycle Ryobi powered bicycle. http://www.carrprecision.com/Pages/prod04t.htm




Na, too noisy, too dirty, too slow. But I did measure 300mpg, ...yes 300 over a 50 mile trip. Had to measure the gas in ounces used!
__________________
Don '05 KLR 250 & '04 DR 200
dfye55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #9740
bm3moose
Gnarly Adventurer
 
bm3moose's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Madison, IN
Oddometer: 168
inmate spotting?

Were there two guys on XR's crossing the Madison/Milton bridge project the other day?
__________________
08 XR650L
bm3moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #9741
dougfromindy
I smell premix
 
dougfromindy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Indpls, IN Lexington, MI
Oddometer: 2,269
I spy

138cc Lifan
125cc Sachs/lifan
50cc sachs/lifan auto.
these are for my madass build soon.

If you know a kid that needs the 5occ for a monkey bike, honda 50.
I would trade for some beer.
I just want the black sachs side covers.
I will include exhaust for pizza also.

dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #9742
AC909
Great Job!
 
AC909's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Bloomington, IN USA
Oddometer: 1,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfromindy View Post
138cc Lifan
125cc Sachs/lifan
50cc sachs/lifan auto.
these are for my madass build soon.
I always thought those Madass bikes were awesome!
__________________
A CT175 & XR250R Do A Few States of the TAT
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827855
A CT175 & DR350 Do a Few More States of the TAT
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #9743
AC909
Great Job!
 
AC909's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Bloomington, IN USA
Oddometer: 1,208
Count me in for the little bike ride Tim. I just installed my Radio Shack rectifier so I'm ready to roll without worrying about burning through a battery every month.
__________________
A CT175 & XR250R Do A Few States of the TAT
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827855
A CT175 & DR350 Do a Few More States of the TAT
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010764
AC909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #9744
BK
Electron herder
 
BK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 558
Way OT here, but you guys are a diverse bunch...

I called a plumber on the recommendation of a friend and long story short, he wants to use Sharkbite fittings to do my repair.

A. I can do that myself.

and

B. Isn't that a cheezy way to fix copper?


Am I being overly picky, or is this guy a hack? It's not a flat-rate job, so I don't think he is trying to maximize is profit by getting out quick.
__________________
________________________________________

--> Snailfest 2015! TW ride <--
BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #9745
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer
 
KneeKicker's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 2,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalDeFer View Post
Way OT here, but you guys are a diverse bunch...

I called a plumber on the recommendation of a friend and long story short, he wants to use Sharkbite fittings to do my repair.

A. I can do that myself.

and

B. Isn't that a cheezy way to fix copper?


Am I being overly picky, or is this guy a hack? It's not a flat-rate job, so I don't think he is trying to maximize is profit by getting out quick.

Sharkbites are pricey,but easy,and quick. Unless you have good ol fashion pipe sweating skills(like my pop). I have used it going from copper to PVC and PEX.
__________________
everything looks cool on motorcycle

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #9746
BK
Electron herder
 
BK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeKicker View Post
Sharkbites are pricey,but easy,and quick. Unless you have good ol fashion pipe sweating skills(like my pop). I have used it going from copper to PVC and PEX.
I'm less worried about price, and more worried about quality. I have been burned one too many times by water leaks. I just want to know if that is an acceptable method.
__________________
________________________________________

--> Snailfest 2015! TW ride <--
BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #9747
dav_dman
Studly Adventurer
 
dav_dman's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: louisville ky/southern indiana
Oddometer: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeKicker View Post
Sharkbites are pricey,but easy,and quick. Unless you have good ol fashion pipe copper sweating skills(like my pop).
I stopped sweating pipes as soon as I found out about sharkbites. They rotate on the pipe without leaking so its a big timesaver when tightning everything up after you fit it up, also. I stopped using copper and pvc as soon as I found out about Pex and how it stretches instead of bursting when water freezes inside it.

Yes you can do it yourself. Using a plumber is so that 1) you can go riding or snowmobiling instead, or 2) so you have the right falls and venting (waste lines). My uncle was a plumber and I learned the trade and then pipefitting and then electrical and then to heck with it went to engineering school. Now i'm a sissy-hands manager :)

i work out in the gym jus so i can have a few manly calluses again.

i do all my own plumbing because I usually get a blow job when its done and she's happy.
__________________
dirt bikes, vstrom, cruiser, etc.
"what hurts, instructs" - ben franklin
dav_dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #9748
BK
Electron herder
 
BK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
i work out in the gym jus so i can have a few manly calluses again.

i do all my own plumbing because I usually get a blow job when its done and she's happy.
Calluses: I'm an engineer that rides a desk for living and I never felt so much like a girl as when I shook the hand of the guy that installed my vinyl floor.

Plumbing: I have done all my own up to now (including sweating copper), but I am over it. I called a "professional" to have it done right without having to put my tired, delicate, old ass in the crawl space and he wants to use a hack method.

Of course, I knew nothing of this BJ thing. So if I pay a plumber, does the Mrs. blow him or me?
__________________
________________________________________

--> Snailfest 2015! TW ride <--
BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #9749
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dfye55's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: south central Indiana
Oddometer: 267
lunch n little bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
First, I'd not heard any talk of lunch yesterday. Did anyone show up? Always assume it's a go.

Anyway how about we do lunch at the Highway 58 Cafe next Sunday??


Second, with all these little bikes being assembled/restored/brought back to life I make the motion that we select a date in the not-too-distant future and plan to gather on the little buggers. Maybe sometime in the early spring? I figure if we all had a target date of when we'd have to have 'em up and running it might light a far under our arses to get 'em up and running. Would March 31 (the day before April Fool's Day--seems fitting) be pushing it too much??? Or do you think you'll need more time?

As far as a location pick somewhere with lots of steep hills out in the middle of nowhere to make getting there and back on the wee bikes a challenge.
I went to Brownies, didn't see anyone else there. Had an awsome chocolate pie...


Sure, 58 Cafe is always good.

Yea, Mar 31 is great... will keep me motivated. Pulled the battery, guess 3.3 volts out of 6 ain't good.

Thx
__________________
Don '05 KLR 250 & '04 DR 200
dfye55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #9750
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer
 
dfye55's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: south central Indiana
Oddometer: 267
plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_dman View Post
I stopped sweating pipes as soon as I found out about sharkbites. They rotate on the pipe without leaking so its a big timesaver when tightning everything up after you fit it up, also. I stopped using copper and pvc as soon as I found out about Pex and how it stretches instead of bursting when water freezes inside it.

Yes you can do it yourself. Using a plumber is so that 1) you can go riding or snowmobiling instead, or 2) so you have the right falls and venting (waste lines). My uncle was a plumber and I learned the trade and then pipefitting and then electrical and then to heck with it went to engineering school. Now i'm a sissy-hands manager :)

i work out in the gym jus so i can have a few manly calluses again.

i do all my own plumbing because I usually get a blow job when its done and she's happy.
As a landlord, it's just too much trouble to meet a plumber, easier to just do the job and move on. If my wife still pays the annual fee I'm a licensed plumber. I also only use pex now although I did have one 3/8" line fail from freeze. I have not had any problems with sharkbites.
__________________
Don '05 KLR 250 & '04 DR 200
dfye55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015