ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #9946
zamboni9
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljak View Post

Woodsrat and I have been chewin the fat about different types of Moto events and came to the conclusion that it would be fun to try one.
This post is to gauge interest among our band of merry eatery meeter's and flash mob riders.

The event would be a Time, Speed, Distance course. Where riders try to follow a course with hints, turns and speeds, ultimately to arrive at checkpoints at predetermined times. The rider that hits all the points closest to the prescribed times will take home the gold.

It would take place on the many small back roads that we all like to piddle on. Best of all, anyone could do this. I think it would be a great way to put a twist on a ride.

And besides, who could resist a big bacon breakfast in the morning and a awards dinner at the return...

So.... What say you?

I like. But bet I will have to work, like all the other rides.
"...a Ural is to gravel, what a hovercraft is to water.."-IndyChizzle
zamboni9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #9947
hilljak
Hayseed

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Just to throw another wrinkle into it how would you feel about it being run at night?

FREE BACON to the winner?

Proving I'm an idiot without ever speaking...
hilljak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:54 PM   #9948
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,421
so is this pavement roads? trails? or mix of everything?

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #9949
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
If I might add something an event like this would have to prohibit the use of GPS, enduro computers and the like.

Only clocks and route sheet computations would be allowed for an event like this. The emphasis is to follow a predetermined route using a few clues and maintain the given speed average(s). By not allowing the various navigational doohickies and timekeeping devices the event would be challenging instead of a cakewalk with massive ties. (We could still end up with ties if sharp timekeepers showed up but at least among the guys I ride with there aren't any old enduro riders who have mastered this dying art.)
Sounds like a ton of fun...BUT if I can't use the GPS that I've become so dependent on over the last few years, are you gonna give me a time handicap of some sort? I gotta have extra time to stop every so often, park the bike on the side of the road, shut the engine off, jump across the ditch and run into the woods to start feeling the trees to find the growing moss which tells me which way due north is. Then it's back out of the woods, jump the ditch again, put the kickstand up, start the engine and take off again. All this effort takes extra time...especially if I accidentally fall into that ditch and come out soaking wet!

All kidding aside, I'd like to give it a shot. Have never, ever run any sorta roll chart/route sheet/etc... Who's volunteering to gimme a crash course in that sorta venue?

(Side Note: My Dad always had some sorta built in magic gene or something. I swear, that man could put you within ten feet of any given target 50 miles away, in a blinding snowstorm & all done at night if he had to. He never carried so much as a compass to guide him either. Always amazed me!...unfortunately, that particular gene was never passed down to me for some silly reason.)

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #9950
hilljak
Hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
so is this pavement roads? trails? or mix of everything?

I would like to keep as much gravel in the route as possible... but eventually it all comes to blacktop at some point...

Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #9951
hilljak
Hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
All kidding aside, I'd like to give it a shot. Have never, ever run any sorta roll chart/route sheet/etc... Who's volunteering to gimme a crash course in that sorta venue?

No crash course needed... it will be a little challenging, but not impossible. The goal is to have everyone make it, but with some difficulty just for laughs.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #9952
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Maps? They have paper maps? Thats the dumbest shit ive ever heard. Everyone knows those are only on smart phones and gpses. I think down the hill of moto supreme and through a little loop of the flat stuff would be badass too.

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
Old 01-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #9953
RoadDad
n13ub

Oddometer: 413
Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220 View Post
i have seen videos of people crossing the vitim bridge at idle... even walking bike across shatting themselves the whole way.

crazy spaniards..

Tpar--I don't understand spanish but i understood every word that crazy sumbitch said while crossing the bridge. He was using the auto guidance feature of his Garmin 276c to keep that KTM on the straaaaaaaight and naaaaaarrow. His first crossing was at about 20 mph and his second was about 35 mph. That is insane!

RoadDad screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 07:11 PM
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #9954
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
multiple topics

58 cafe, good. see you Sunday.

Quote:

Woodsrat and I have been chewin the fat about different types of Moto events and came to the conclusion that it would be fun to try one.
This post is to gauge interest among our band of merry eatery meeter's and flash mob riders.

The event would be a Time, Speed, Distance course. Where riders try to follow a course with hints, turns and speeds, ultimately to arrive at checkpoints at predetermined times. The rider that hits all the points closest to the prescribed times will take home the gold.

It would take place on the many small back roads that we all like to piddle on. Best of all, anyone could do this. I think it would be a great way to put a twist on a ride.

And besides, who could resist a big bacon breakfast in the morning and a awards dinner at the return...

So.... What say you?

I SAY YES! ANY EXCUSE TO RIDE IS WONDERFUL! Sorry for shouting, been too long since I've ridden.

So I like to make fun of myself... I had a problem mounting my Trail Tech Computer (try'n to hide it for the Time Speed Distance ride), 'cause the magnet was mounted on an 8mm bolt, and my front disk uses 6mm bolts. I sent a picture and explained the problem to Trail Tech technical support. They replied "just jb weld the loose magnet included with the kit". I replied I could not find it, probably stuck to one of my tools, I'll go check.

The reply from Trail Tech technical support:

The loose magnet is stuck to the end of the bolt. I can see it in your photo. Lol

Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #9955
drfreema
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:

So.... What say you?

I'm in as long as it's not scheduled on the coldest day of the year. Maybe in the spring?
Wife's:
2001 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R
2003 Suzuki DR-Z400E
drfreema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #9956
306dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
i got the new husky out today good fun
Old 01-29-2013, 02:51 PM   #9957
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 306dad View Post
i got the new husky out today good fun
I got the dr out and went around my block. put the skid plate on the beamer and went around the block. the sv stayed on the stands and im sure cussed me out

Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #9958
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

skid plate.. ooooh ahhhhh.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:43 PM   #9959
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
It's ALIVE!

The '69 CT90 started after replacing the rectifier, remembering to put the key in and turn it on, clean/oil the throttle plunger and cleaning the plug. It does not run consistently, but it ran for a few minutes. Lotsa fun!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #9960
CJames0587
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
F&$% left my gas on last last time I rode so looks like I'll be tearing down the carb and cleaning it.