ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #10351
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
Simple things owners should be able to do quickly and easily--like adjusting valves and such--have become huge headaches for many guys here and/or are afraid to do it.
What an ignorant statement, and I will assume you lumped me into that bunch since I recently asked for someone experienced to watch over and help me out. At one point in history did 100% of riders know how to do everything to their motorcycle? How come dealers have been around for years with service departments.

I may not know how to perform every bit of service on my bike, but damn a guy for wanting to learn and find out!
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #10352
indypup
╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Oddometer: 3,470
More Colorado trip vids...

I finally got around to editing more videos this weekend... ;)

These are from August 2012. Landon and I went with some other guys from Indiana.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist hangs his head out the window! Be real, be whole, be innovative.
indypup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #10353
hilljak
Hayseed

Oddometer: 375
Saturday, 9

55 | 39 F
Mostly Cloudy

Sunday, 10

59 | 36 F
Mostly Cloudy

Let us pray...

Proving I'm an idiot without ever speaking...
hilljak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #10354
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
I'd rather spend the little money I have on my motorbikes than on electronic toys...

There will come a time in your life when trendy technology will bypass you as well. At that point you'll look back upon memories of the days when you understood what was going on and had half a clue of how to fix it. Odds are I'll be fertiizer at that point but remember where you heard it first.

Case in point--the new Beemer G/S. According to the April Cycle World it does everything but shit nickels to pay for itself but I'd like to see you scrotes try to fix it without the aid of a lab-coated technician.

The question is where do you draw the line? Do we stop at electronic ignitions and fuel delivery systems? Or do we want bikes that do the thinking for the rider leaving them just to sit on the seat and work a switch (which is essentially what "fly by wire" is)?
bullshit statement. With devices like the gs911 i can do alot of wgat the dealership can and what i cant i can google.

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #10355
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,879
I be fuckin bored out of my gord on a 70's or 80's POS slow ass slug of a motorcycle. Modern technologically advanced bikes are 10 times the machines they were 20 years ago. Faster, lighter, smoother, quieter, more reliable, more features, more adjust-ability, better fuel mileage, more rider friendly, safer, just fuckin better everything.

And I know tons of geezers with smart phones and they're some copy/paste mother truckers and they love it. Technology rules. Always has. Always will.

Having said that I spent the evening with the cubscout troop and went to the blacksmith and made shit with hammers and fire. It was awesome. He had some OLD lathes and milling machines too. They were cool. Old, slow, rusty, LOW precision, neat old machines. I had ZERO desire to play with them but fun to look at. Just like old bikes.

My 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
I heard through the grapevine that oPaulo is usually found in his garage, in the depths of night, working on the banana bike while wearing a hot pink speedo... does that make him a technician?
Quit lookin in my windows freak.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #10356
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,879
http://discoverindianaridingtrails.com/?p=348

Everybody check this out. Pretty awesome opportunity I think.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #10357
Landon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post

Sweet, I heard last week that this was coming. First I have officially seen it. I will do my best to make it to a couple of them!
Landon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #10358
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,044
Looking for some more snow & colder temps for a couple of weeks...

I did the nasty deed today and ripped both seats of the new KaTooMer and the FJR and drove them up to Dan Gunderman @ Quality Upholstery today in Ellettsville (sp?) and dropped them off so he could work his magic on 'em. He did the seat on my '01 FZ-1 a few years ago and did an amazing job for me! The FJR seat was at least tolerable, but after about the 600~650+ mile mark on a single day trip, I was startin' to scoot off sideways as my old butt was killing me. The new Austrian Punkin' Chucker II, on the other hand, was only good for about 75~100 miles before you're ready to lay the bike down and set the darn thing on fire just to get away from it. We did about 160+ miles yesterday and by the time I rolled back into Bedford, I swear it was about as comfy as sittin' on a 2x6 (the skinny side)...

Now that I'm forced into some "down-time" for a week or two, that'll force me into doing some much awaited upgrades on the new KaTooMer. I plan on installing the European (complete) on-road wiring harness/switches/signals, etc on it. Also have a new Electrosport 250W stator to throw at it, along with some modified lighting so that my old, tired eyeballs can maybe see something at night. Already absolutely love riding that hunk o' Austrian technology! Why didn't you guys talk me into getting one of these sooner? Lightweight, electric & kickstart, fairly low maintenance, plenty of low end torque to grunt through the slow stuff similar to the ol' HonDeere used to and enough ponies to rock the front end in the air in 5th gear @ 55~60MPH, grab 6th gear and keep right on a chuggin'. I love it!! No worries, I should have it ready to roll by the time that the IceBreaker ride comes around

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #10359
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPAULo View Post

nice

Each and every day is in memory of IMPD Officer Perry Renn. E.O.W July 5, 2014. "I will always get out of my car."
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #10360
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,772
I'm kinda digging this Harley. Still a pig but be fun at a pirate bike night.

I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #10361
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

I was thinking about siging up for another class at the BMW training center in Greer, SC for the off road class but I figured I can just buy some people on here lunch and learn just as much if not more out riding with some of you guys. I took the street survival class last year and gained alot from it though.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #10362
Old Broken Marine
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
I did the nasty deed today and ripped both seats of the new KaTooMer and the FJR and drove them up to Dan Gunderman @ Quality Upholstery today in Ellettsville (sp?) and dropped them off so he could work his magic on 'em. He did the seat on my '01 FZ-1 a few years ago and did an amazing job for me! The FJR seat was at least tolerable, but after about the 600~650+ mile mark on a single day trip, I was startin' to scoot off sideways as my old butt was killing me. The new Austrian Punkin' Chucker II, on the other hand, was only good for about 75~100 miles before you're ready to lay the bike down and set the darn thing on fire just to get away from it. We did about 160+ miles yesterday and by the time I rolled back into Bedford, I swear it was about as comfy as sittin' on a 2x6 (the skinny side)...

Now that I'm forced into some "down-time" for a week or two, that'll force me into doing some much awaited upgrades on the new KaTooMer. I plan on installing the European (complete) on-road wiring harness/switches/signals, etc on it. Also have a new Electrosport 250W stator to throw at it, along with some modified lighting so that my old, tired eyeballs can maybe see something at night. Already absolutely love riding that hunk o' Austrian technology! Why didn't you guys talk me into getting one of these sooner? Lightweight, electric & kickstart, fairly low maintenance, plenty of low end torque to grunt through the slow stuff similar to the ol' HonDeere used to and enough ponies to rock the front end in the air in 5th gear @ 55~60MPH, grab 6th gear and keep right on a chuggin'. I love it!! No worries, I should have it ready to roll by the time that the IceBreaker ride comes around
First thing I would do is tighten the chain!!!
Old Broken Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #10363
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Also on your down time you can come do a ride along. Unless your scared.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #10364
oneflag
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Moose Pants, donate to ADV

Are any of you Hoosier folks interested in a pair of Moose Moto pants size 40? Just donate to the ADV site and I will ship for free!

Picture on last page of link below!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ferrerid=58228
Old 03-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #10365
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbabc View Post
I'm kinda digging this Harley. Still a pig but be fun at a pirate bike night.

I like it

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote