ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #10366
bogieboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
I'd rather spend the little money I have on my motorbikes than on electronic toys...

There will come a time in your life when trendy technology will bypass you as well. At that point you'll look back upon memories of the days when you understood what was going on and had half a clue of how to fix it. Odds are I'll be fertiizer at that point but remember where you heard it first.

Case in point--the new Beemer G/S. According to the April Cycle World it does everything but shit nickels to pay for itself but I'd like to see you scrotes try to fix it without the aid of a lab-coated technician.

The question is where do you draw the line? Do we stop at electronic ignitions and fuel delivery systems? Or do we want bikes that do the thinking for the rider leaving them just to sit on the seat and work a switch (which is essentially what "fly by wire" is)?
i draw the line at CDI....LOL i love my carbed, points ignition (the ke100 is cdi though), carberated 2 stroke SIMPLE bikes.... i also love my smart phone....LOL i tore down the 250 engine, split the cases, and had it back together (startecd in the frame, and ended in the frame) in a total of under 6 hrs...not bad for someone who has 1. never split cases 2. never worked on a smoker bigger than a weedeater and 3. didnt have a manual....LOL simplicity of the mechanicals is my goal...
bogieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #10367
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,268
Found a woodsrat contraption.

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #10368
drfreema
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Things I Hate

I don't know why we even ride motorcycles. Bicycles should be good enough. They are way simpler than a motorcycle and produce a lot less smoke. While we're at it, here' some more things I hate:
  1. Penicillin: moldy cheese should do the job just fine
  2. The printing press: chalk is simpler
  3. Transistors: vacuum tubes do the job, too and the math is way easier
  4. Calculators: an abacus will do. No check that, my fingers will suffice. I hate the abacus, too
  5. Smart phones: I can just yell really loud
What does bashing every other type of bike except one that has a rubber band for a motor have to do with adventure riding? Guys who ride Harleys, Ducatis, crotch rockets, and rubber band powered bikes can still love riding and no one is wrong. You don't have to be able to tear down your engine blindfolded in under two minutes to be a real biker.

Can we get back to the thread topic and talk about adventure riding? We'll even let the BMW-owners feel like they belong.

We should start another thread and talk about how all the morons who own bikes with triple digit cc's should get a life and a heated garage and hundreds of dollars of tools and take time off from their jobs and wives and families and learn how to put a big bore kit in their 50 cc trail bike so it is now a 62 cc trail bike so that they now have 9 HP and are really, really cool. Way cooler than guys who take their bikes to the shop occasionally because they have good jobs, can afford it, and would rather spend some of their free days with their families instead of wrenching on their bikes.

Or I can just keep checking in on this thread because it seems that that's the attitude displayed by some people here.
Wife's:
2001 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R
2003 Suzuki DR-Z400E
drfreema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #10369
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreema View Post
I don't know why we even ride motorcycles. Bicycles should be good enough. They are way simpler than a motorcycle and produce a lot less smoke. While we're at it, here' some more things I hate:
  4. Calculators: an abacus will do. No check that, my fingers will suffice. I hate the abacus, too
What does bashing every other type of bike except one that has a rubber band for a motor have to do with adventure riding? Guys who ride Harleys, Ducatis, crotch rockets, and rubber band powered bikes can still love riding and no one is wrong. You don't have to be able to tear down your engine blindfolded in under two minutes to be a real biker.

Can we get back to the thread topic and talk about adventure riding? We'll even let the BMW-owners feel like they belong.

We should start another thread and talk about how all the morons who own bikes with triple digit cc's should get a life and a heated garage and hundreds of dollars of tools and take time off from their jobs and wives and families and learn how to put a big bore kit in their 50 cc trail bike so it is now a 62 cc trail bike so that they now have 9 HP and are really, really cool. Way cooler than guys who take their bikes to the shop occasionally because they have good jobs, can afford it, and would rather spend some of their free days with their families instead of wrenching on their bikes.

Or I can just keep checking in on this thread because it seems that that's the attitude displayed by some people here.
Because this was a good reply I will disregard the BMW owners comment. Not that I really saw it cause I'm so in my awesomeness.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #10370
hilljak
Hayseed

Oddometer: 363
In my humble opinion Tim,

Very well said.

Proving I'm an idiot without ever speaking...
hilljak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #10371
johnson357
Bad Monkey Racing

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreema View Post

Well said but it won't have an impact just give up on this thread and talks of any kinda riding that is not thought of by a couple people or it will be blasted.
johnson357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #10372
hilljak
Hayseed

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post

Looking for some more snow & colder temps for a couple of weeks...

Proving I'm an idiot without ever speaking...
hilljak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #10373
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljak View Post
HaHaHa... Well, at least if it's cold and miserable outside, I won't feel quite so bad about the downtime.

Honda XR "Complete" S/M Wheels For Sale ---> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post20028089

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #10374
TooSlow4U
2 Wheel Wonder Rider

Oddometer: 1,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgindy View Post
Found a woodsrat contraption.
Actually, that's kinda cool! I'd drive that....short distances anyway

Honda XR "Complete" S/M Wheels For Sale ---> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post20028089

TooSlow4U is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:07 AM   #10375
BK
Electron herder

Oddometer: 423
Tim,

For what it's worth, I didn't see your posts as being critical, insulting or negative at all. You said a lot of things that are true. A lot times we do things because we can, instead of because they are needed and we just add unnecessary complexity.

I think you're spot on about maintenance, I think even Rube Goldberg would blush if he read the oil change procedure for a KTM Adventure.

I DO ride a modern Vunder-bike, but I'd hate to have it break down very far from civilization.

In one of his ride reports, where he is riding an old Harley or Indian around the world, inmate rtwdoug has a funny picture of two guys shipping their GSs from Russia to Japan so they can get them fixed and keep riding. It may be the same report where he was able to pull an ignition coil out of a random russian car and keep his ride going...

I am a controls engineer, I work on electronic, engine control systems everyday. I understand this stuff, I don't have anything against and it certainly has its place. I'm just not sure it we need it on dirt bikes to ride up goat trails.

However, since my most adventurous rides are to Bear hardware, my only real complaint is with digtial speedo's and tach's. Who the hell thought that was a good idea. I'm certain they are only popular because they cool. Unlike dial guages, you have to read them and that takes more time. You can see dials in your peripheral vision and know what's going on.

Now, maybe the weather will break and we can get our stress out by riding instead of arguing on the internet!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:31 AM   #10376
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
look'n forward to 50F+ this weekend

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevaldefer View Post
tim,

for what it's worth, i didn't see your posts as being critical, insulting or negative at all. You said a lot of things that are true. A lot times we do things because we can, instead of because they are needed and we just add unnecessary complexity.

I think you're spot on about maintenance, i think even rube goldberg would blush if he read the oil change procedure for a ktm adventure.

I do ride a modern vunder-bike, but i'd hate to have it break down very far from civilization.

In one of his ride reports, where he is riding an old harley or indian around the world, inmate rtwdoug has a funny picture of two guys shipping their gss from russia to japan so they can get them fixed and keep riding. It may be the same report where he was able to pull an ignition coil out of a random russian car and keep his ride going...

I am a controls engineer, i work on electronic, engine control systems everyday. I understand this stuff, i don't have anything against and it certainly has its place. I'm just not sure it we need it on dirt bikes to ride up goat trails.

However, since my most adventurous rides are to bear hardware, my only real complaint is with digtial speedo's and tach's. Who the hell thought that was a good idea. i'm certain they are only popular because they cool. Unlike dial guages, you have to read them and that takes more time. You can see dials in your peripheral vision and know what's going on.

Now, maybe the weather will break and we can get our stress out by riding instead of arguing on the internet!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #10377
drfreema
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilljak View Post
In my humble opinion Tim,

Very well said.
I agree completely. Your reply was very well said. Unfortunately, you have partially misunderstood my post.

I don't agree with you 100% on the fate of motorcycling. With the advance in technology comes a massive advancement in reliability and performance (see oPaulo's post) and the need to frequently work on your bike is reduced. I don't think that basic maintenance on bikes has gotten beyond the average rider just yet but your concern for the direction it is heading is valid.

My post was also critical of the direction and tone of your complaints. Whether you mean it or not, your posts are very opinionated and appear to me to be aggressive and critical about any other bikes, riding styles, maintenance philosophies, etc. you don't agree with.

Maybe it's my imagination, but the active number of participants to this thread has dwindled in the last year or so. I don't think this is due to the growing complexity of motorcycle maintenance or your feelings towards ABATE. I attribute it to the direction this thread has gone in regards to the attitudes towards Harley-owners/BMW-owners/(any bike over 50 cc's)/(any bike more complex than a scooter). Maybe I'm wrong about this but it is the reason I don't follow this thread as closely as I once did and I don't think I'm the only one.

You are entitled to your opinions. I don't agree with them all the time. I share some of your concerns on the direction bikes are taking (part of the reason I enjoy my KLR is the ease of maintenance). I don't share your feelings on riders of other styles of bikes. I don't share your feelings toward technology.

I would just like this thread to get back to being about riding adventure bikes in Indiana and not a soapbox for the concerns or opinions of a few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevalDeFer View Post
AGREE COMPLETELY.
Wife's:
2001 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R
2003 Suzuki DR-Z400E
drfreema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #10378
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,803
+1,000,000,000,000,000......
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #10379
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaulo View Post
+1,000,000,000,000,000......

Old 03-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #10380
AC909
Great Job!

Oddometer: 957
"He who yells the loudest will be heard the most" If you have something to say than say it. Butt in to whatever other rubbish you think may be getting said here and take the good with the bad and the stuff you couldn't care less about with the stuff you are really in to. The "direction" of forum threads are dictated by the ones that are not afraid to share their thoughts and show what they have been up to. I do agree that the threads would be a lot more interesting if the majority of posts weren’t from a handful of people, but hey if the lurkers are unwilling to start a new topic or chime in than it will continue on the same path.