ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #541
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,577
Former Quest, Quest2 & Zumo 450 owner here. Just purchased a 450 and I'm getting antiquated with it. So far so good but I've got a quick question.

On my Zumo I used to create routes on googlemaps, extract the route using GmaptoGPX and simply drop the file into the GPX folder of the unit. I tried this today on the Oregon and it doesn't create a roue. It creates a track.

I haven't been keeping up with this stuff so there may be a more effective way of doing this other than gmaptogpx. So does anyone know of a simple way to upload a route from googlemaps to the Oregon? This is for street routes, not off road. I'd like to avoid using mapsource or basecamp since most of the scouting I do is done on a PC that doesn't have those applications loaded.

thanks.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #542
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
I'm thinking about buying the Oregon.
Would you buy the 450 for $199, or the 450t (preloaded topographic maps) for $269??
Would I need to buy any additional maps just to use it for dual sporting around Kansas? If so, how much?
Thanks!
Old 04-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #543
cyberdos
True Story Bro

To be perfectly honest I think topo maps are useless. They do not provide any useful information out on the trail other than telling you that the hill that's in front of you is real. Being that the oregon accepts custom maps you're better off creating your own maps and uploading them to the unit. I wouldn't spend extra money to get topo maps pre installed. Plus you can get a ton of free topo maps online anyway.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #544
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
To be perfectly honest I think topo maps are useless. They do not provide any useful information out on the trail other than telling you that the hill that's in front of you is real. Being that the oregon accepts custom maps you're better off creating your own maps and uploading them to the unit. I wouldn't spend extra money to get topo maps pre installed. Plus you can get a ton of free topo maps online anyway.
I like knowing the track I'm on doesn't drop away into nothingness around the next blind corner...
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:46 AM   #545
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
I like knowing the track I'm on doesn't drop away into nothingness around the next blind corner...
problem is that if the trail isn't on the topo map how do you know which way it's heading?

Most of the trails I ride don't even show up as roads. YMMV.

You could always use the shade relief that's built into the base map as a guide for the terrain as well. I just don't see much use for spending the extra coin on what the maps actually provide.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #546
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo View Post
I'm thinking about buying the Oregon.
Would you buy the 450 for $199, or the 450t (preloaded topographic maps) for $269??
Would I need to buy any additional maps just to use it for dual sporting around Kansas? If so, how much?
Thanks!
I bought the topo version because I would like to do more with my Oregon than just navigating on my motorcycle. Technically speaking, I don't think that Garmin produced this GPS to be a motorcycle unit.

Roads do show up on the unit, but will not route you unless you buy the (additional) software that runs about $90, if I remember correctly.

If you input a route created on other software, it will route what you have input.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #547
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,096
Quote:
problem is that if the trail isn't on the topo map how do you know which way it's heading?

Most of the trails I ride don't even show up as roads. YMMV.

You could always use the shade relief that's built into the base map as a guide for the terrain as well. I just don't see much use for spending the extra coin on what the maps actually provide.
Most of the trails I ride aren't on the maps anyway.
Direction of travel, distance and being able to read topo maps are key.
It's nice being able to stop on an overgrown goat track where you can't see the ground ahead and have a look on foot first if the lines start getting closer together and it turns out to be somewhere I don't want to be trying to turn the bike around.

The base map is useless as is the shaded relief.
They're better than they were though. My eTrex Legend's roads were out by 120m on average and were about 25 years out of date.

I use local free maps and topos.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #548
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
It's nice being able to stop on an overgrown goat track where you can't see the ground ahead and have a look on foot first if the lines start getting closer together and it turns out to be somewhere I don't want to be trying to turn the bike around.
That would definitely be a great time to have it but...

Quote:
I use local free maps and topos.
This, to me, makes paying Garmin for these maps pretty dumb. :)
Old 04-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #549
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
That would definitely be a great time to have it but...

This, to me, makes paying Garmin for these maps pretty dumb. :)
You can never have too many maps, but you can have too many enabled at once. That's one of the big advantages with modern gps units - it's very easy to have many maps installed, and quick to switch between them if you create a profile for each mapset and use that to switch between the maps.

I happen to think Garmin maps are a bargain. On my Montana I have City Navigator Lifetime maps, Topo Canada V4, Metroguide Canada V4, Canada Enhanced Basemap, Ibycus and OSM maps. The one I use most often is Canada Enhanced. It gives the best detail even when zoomed out. It's quite old, and hasn't been updated or available for years, but it's still awesome.

On my 62S I have the same except City Navigator is on a purchased (actually bundled) SD card.
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #550
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Just came back from a 2,300 mile trip. The Oregon worked well but its got some quirks.

I'd love to have the options under the 'where to' screen modified like I posted in this thread. Also, it would be cool if it could take you to the active route menu from clicking on top of the navigation screen like every other unit that I've used in a car does. But those are small gripes and can be worked around.

There are two things that bothered me a lot. One was that the unit completely shut off on me as I was route planning. It did it 3 times. All 3 times I just turned it back on and it powered up no problem but I lost whatever route I was working on at the time. I figure it is some sort of software glitch. I think it happened each time under the 'route planning' menu.

the other thing is that some of the routes that I uploaded from Basecamp didn't work. It gave me some sort of "you don't have the right maps" BS. I was lucky that I'd researched the routes so much on the days prior to the trip that I just recreated them with the route planner option. So I was still able to navigate the routes without issue. I think this glitch may have had something to do with the fact that the night before the trip I wanted to print out a copy of each day and it was telling me that I couldn't with City Navigator map in Basecamp. So I turned to Global Map and printed them off of that. then I uploaded the routes. So that may be why it was giving me the error. I'm going to do some testing today to see if this is the issue. Might be something for you all to keep in mind when uploading routes from Basecamp.

I'm sure there were other issues I'm not thinking of right now. I'll keep on posting them as I continue to use the unit. Overall, I'm very happy with it.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #551
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,070
Cyberdos, your account is important ... and troubling. Just to be certain: You're referring to routes, and not tracks, correct?
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #552
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Cyberdos, your account is important ... and troubling. Just to be certain: You're referring to routes, and not tracks, correct?
Yes, routes. I'm pretty good with GPS' and know my way around several different units.

I'm going to try to upload my routes again, first switching to city nav before uploading them to see if it corrects the problem. If it doesn't, then I don't know what it could be.

brb.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #553
byways
byways

Will be standing by ...

I have a new Oregon -- haven't put it to real-world use yet -- and I'm transitioning gradually into BaseCamp, so ...

What's "Global Maps"?

Are the relevant City Nav mapsets loaded onto your Oregon? Or do you use the micro SD card version in your Oregon?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #554
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Just as I suspected, it was the way I uploaded the routes to the unit.

Just to make this very clear and simple I'll walk you through the process so you don't make the same mistake.

I have several different maps on my Oregon. Basecamp has a general 'global map' (that's pretty useless) but when you plug in your unit it reads the maps you have stored in it. IMO, this was a clever move on Garmin's part because with mapsource if the map that you had installed on your computer didn't match up with what you had in the GPS there were conflicts when routing. The way Basecamp does things now seemed to make that issue go away(or so I thought)

Anywho...

I do all my routing for street rides on GoogleMaps and then translate that info into Basecamp. Everything is set with waypoints and routes. However, since I'm OCD when it comes to this stuff I wanted to print out hard copies of each day's route just in case the unit crapped out. (you never know, specially when you're using it for the first time)

When I went to print the route out I got this message:

So I did:

Changing to 'Global Map' I was able to print out the routes. Yay!

But...
Once I did that (I assume) that the routing recalculated itself. I forgot to change back to City Nav when I sent the routes to the unit.

So when I tried to navigate the route on the unit it gave me this:

If you click on NO, it takes you back to the main menu.
If you click on YES, it says this:

Luckily I had the routes memorized so I was able to simply recreate them but it could have really thrown a wrench into things. Specially since the first day's routes worked flawlessly (I had uploaded them previously) and the remaining day rides didn't work at all (meaning: this issue reared its head on day 2, 550 miles away from home)

---------

I just erased everything off of the GPS. Made sure that City Nav was selected for map and reloaded the routes. All worked just fine.

I don't know if that was truly the problem but it makes sense to me and it worked. Hope that helps.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #555
byways
byways

Hmm ... So was this maybe, like, pilot error 'n stuff?