ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #646
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
Its been a while since this was first posted, but any way to remove a pin without hitting the back arrow and getting bumped back?
Nope. Unlike the Montana, there is no way to cancel a pushpin without leaving the scrolled map. Just checked my wife's 550 which has the most recent software.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #647
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,128
Again ... Track name won't go away

It's happened again ... A track name appears in the list in the Oregon 450, but is unresponsive. When I look at the Oregon's memory in Explorer/My Computer/Removable disc/Garmin/GPX folder, there's nothing in it.

Yet I can't delete it from the list of track on the unit.

Again ... Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways View Post
Awesome, C'down!

Tried that path, but it didn't get me there. BUT! Your reference to the Oregon's memory lit the 15w bulb in my 70s liberal-arts brain, and led me to My Computer/Garmin K drive/GPX folder ... and there it was. So ... the cure was to access the Oregon's internal memory as the K-drive showing in My Computer, then get into the GPX folder, select, delete.

You're the best!
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #648
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Oregon 450

In Track Manager, one track -- or at least its name -- won't go away. It doesn't respond when I click to show on the map, change the name, etc. Pressing "Delete" gets no response. "Change name" gets no response. Pressing any of the track options elicits no response. Removing the micro SD card makes no difference. Turning on and off makes no difference. The name just sits there, taunting me.

Thoughts?
I had a file I couldn't delete on my Montana and I was able to get rid of it by Archiving it first. I couldn't open it, but I could Archive it.

Go figure.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:54 PM   #649
byways
byways

Well heck ... I plugged it into a different computer, and lots of things showed up using Windows Explorer, under "My Computer/Garmin/GPX." Including the track I needed to delete (which showed up as "Imported ..." not as the track name).

Problem was the new Belkin USB hub I just bought ... Replaced, and all's well. Thanks for the response nonetheless.

byways screwed with this post 07-03-2013 at 06:51 PM
Old 08-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #650
georgedaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Qs & my As to the USB issue

After reading this thread I have a few questions and answers .
I have a 450 hardwired with the cheapest Chinese kit i got for my Nuvi a few years ago
  • Alarm clock volume is very low on my 450.Is that normal?
  • Is it possible to search for a "trail" on the unit ? (..Oak Ridges Trail etc)?
I think the USB issue starts with the the straight or the up pointing usb plug ,plus the weight of the cable that drags on it.
I ended up slicing the 90 degree plug and turn the metal plug with the wires upside down.
Glued the cut back ,secured the wire to the closest part on the handlebar with ziptie, appr 6" behind the plug.
Got on elastic around the mount and the plug and no hiccups ever since..
I don't even bother to install batteries anymore which makes the unit even lighter.

georgedaman screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 12:09 AM
georgedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #651
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
I have no personal experience riding a rocket launch vehicle to space either but get paid big bucks to analize failures for NASA. Currently working on space power systems.

I am not aware of any generic problems with the Oregon. It is a fine reliable unit and I have used them when working for the BLM maping designated routes in Ca desert. The guys I work with carry them on on their belts and knock the shit out of them.

On a completely other subject, there is a problem using a USB connector in a vibration environment it was not designed for.

And on another subject, there is also a much bigger problem using a cheap step down power supply of unknown specification in a wet outdoor environment. If the power supply shorts input to output, you toast a very expensive load. Risking the life of a $250 very reliable device on the unknown reliability of $10 power supply is just not good system design unless a fault protector is installed between power supply and load which no one offers.
Ain't Rocket Science just a kick in the butt...

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #652
byways
byways

Where did my waypoints manager go?

My waypoint manager icon/button has vanished. Any way of getting it back short of resetting defaults?
Old 08-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #653
cyberdos
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 24,488
Quote:
My waypoint manager icon/button has vanished. Any way of getting it back short of resetting defaults?
you porbably accidentally deleted it from your main menu.

Click on SETUP
Scroll down to MAIN MENU
and scroll over all the way to the right. Your deleted buttons should be greyed out. Click on it and it should show up again.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #654
byways
byways

Oh my heck, C'dos ... You are as amazing as they say!

Wasn't sure if I was supposed to also press the + symbol that appeared when I touched the grayed-out button, so I just went ahead and pressed it.

Waypoint manager lives again. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #655
byways
byways

View Map vs Show on Map

When one clicks on the name of a track, and a menu of choices appears ... What is the functional difference between "View Map" and "Show on Map/Hide on Map"?

I'm kinda thinking that if I choose "Show on Map," the track will appear on the screen/map whenever I'm in proximity to it.

1,000 thanks again ...
Old 08-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #656
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
When one clicks on the name of a track, and a menu of choices appears ... What is the functional difference between "View Map" and "Show on Map/Hide on Map"?

I'm kinda thinking that if I choose "Show on Map," the track will appear on the screen/map whenever I'm in proximity to it.

1,000 thanks again ...
View Map shows you the track in its entirety on the screen. Show on map does what you said.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #657
byways
byways

Awesome. That's what I was hoping. Thanks, Emmbeedee ...
Old 05-25-2014, 10:34 PM   #658
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,081
Power Plug-Latest and Greatest?

Looking to get my Oregon 450 connected to my KLR650. I would like to have it powered all the time so that I can read the screen. I know in the past there have been problems with the USB plugs falling out. What is the current thoughts on what to use to keep that to a minimum?

DAVE
Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 AM   #659
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Falling out is the least of your issues. Burning and wearing out are far more of a problem. I lost count of how many Oregons I killed from using USB to power them. Finally gave up and went to the 78 and Montana line, both having far better power options.

I suggest you sell the Oregon while it still works and get something better.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #660
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
My Oregon 300 is still going strong. It does get babied though...