any updates, boys ?
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #47
montgriz
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator_motorrad
i went back and reread. i couldn't find anything really offensive about it.

why do you find it so objectionable? is it possible you're reading too much into it?
I suspect that Nomad was really referring to the poser label put on the unknown HD owners.....as in who are the real posers here??...the guys on the HD's or the Adventure guys on their new, high dollar, covered GSA's that got a little dirty coming down from MI while staying in Best Westerns along the way.

Regardless...I'm subscribed and look forward to the trip.
montgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #48
H-Jay OP
Mo 2 C

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by possum
I thought I was going to enjoy reading your blog until I ran across the statement you made about the clean Harleys you saw.

What a shitty elitist comment.

Wow. They were pretty bikes and I was giving them a complement ...I said posing not posers. Until recently I had a HD that I kept sparkling cause that's what the harley gods want you to do.

Howerver, I'm not sure I understand your comment and reaction. I thought name calling was the last resort not the first. Elitist? I put myself through school, worked hard for many years to get to the point where I can do something like this. If that bothers you so much you need to call me names, perhaps you should move on.

2007 BMW R1200GSA
1968 Norton Fastback
1969 Triumph Bonnie

South America Blog

Patagonia Bound Ride Report
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420453

Alaska Ride Report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250239
H-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #49
H-Jay OP
Mo 2 C

I'm working on an update and will post soon. This is the first time with unternet access in a while. We've been riding hard for the last 3 days. Today we crossed from El Salvadore to Hounduras and in to Nicaragua today. It was borader crossing hell. More on that later

...Elitist..give me an F'n break....I better stop writing before I say something I regret.

2007 BMW R1200GSA
1968 Norton Fastback
1969 Triumph Bonnie

South America Blog

Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 PM   #50
McBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Don't sweat the moronic comments. They are either jealous or just idiots, or both.

There are hundreds of us enjoying your trip !
McBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #51
GSgal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Glen Heggstad told me when I met him in Mazatlan on my trip south in September, that a lot of people would criticize me for what I was doing. He said there would be people who wouldn't want me to succeed, because if I did, it would take away their excuses for not doing such a trip. It's a weird thing that makes folks complain about words in your report, but like McBike said, don't waste time thinking about it.

The fact is, you guys are out riding your ride! Kudos to you, and enjoy every minute of it! It's not easy doing what you're doing, but it's your experience of a lifetime.

That's what matters now. You, the road, and the wonderful people you're meeting along the way.

Suerte!

GSgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 AM   #52
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBike
There are hundreds of us enjoying your trip !
YES!!
keep goin', mate !
Old 01-11-2009, 05:12 AM   #53
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Jay
Wow. They were pretty bikes and I was giving them a complement ...I said posing not posers. Until recently I had a HD that I kept sparkling cause that's what the harley gods want you to do.
How DARE you not capitalize the phrase "Harley Gods"!

Seriously, if that guy is so thin-skinned in his FOURTH post, then I'd say he'll face challenges on this forum, which quite frankly features more BMW-bashing then Harley-bashing. Lucky for me I own a V-Strom.

I'm looking forward to the rest of your report. The SA trips all fascinate me, partly because I'm not sure I'd be willing to face the risks - kidnapping, robbery, washed-out roads, corrupt officials, etc. Having barely survived my 20's I find myself pretty conservative in my 40's.

But the scenery is fantastic! Keep the pics coming!
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #54
02short
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
borders

Hi Harry and Chris

I have been following your progress on the spot messenger and everytime it stops working I check to see if you are near a border. I have reread Sgt. Marty's accounts of border crossings and wonder what you are encountering.

How is Chis's Spanish working out for you guys?

Eight inches of snow here and 8 degrees this morning.

Jim C.
02short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #55
Dread
Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
In! I really enjoyed your Alaska trip report and am likewise enjoying this one. You have a real knack with people, which is what makes these trips so much fun!

I think a lot of the BMWs engineering, but I can disassemble, clean, and reinstall the entire fuel system of a KLR on a picnic table, drunk, with my eyes closed. It counts for something. - ldeikis
Dread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #56
H-Jay OP
Mo 2 C

On to San Cristobal Mexico

Finally, I have time to try and get us caught up. Since I’m a slow typer I’ll do it mostly with pictures.

We left Oaxaca and headed to another great Southern Mexican city of San Cristobal in the state of Chiapas, Mexico. Part of the road was a high desert climate and gave us interesting shades of brown.

The scenery is captivating but if you don't keep an eye on the road your shocks loss about 1/10 of their life expectancy.

On the way to San Cristobal we stayed in a little town called Juchitan. The town wasn’t much but the hotel was very comfortable, secure and best of all cheap…like $25 including breakfast. We were determined not to get lost getting out of town. Asking the hotel clerk for directions is an amazing discovery for two hombres that don’t like to ask for directions.

Laundry time.

Juchitan seemed proud to be on the Panamerican highway...at one time.

The road to San Cristobal was another enjoyable experience for sport riding. And yes we got a little lost on the way out of town but we are getting better at it.

The road was well protected. I got reprimanded by a guy with an M-16 for taking this picture. I was glade they were there.

Another sobering reminder of the risk we need to manage.

The Mexican state of Chiapas, you may recall, tried to succeed from Mexico several years ago and was the location of some fairly violent army conflicts with locals. Things are much calmer now except a little dust up with the teachers that brought back the Army in 2007. Because of the years of separation from the rest of Mexico it feels a lot more like Guatemala and is culturally very interesting. San Cristobal is a curious mixture of the pre-Columbian indigenous people and the remnants of the old colonial. It is not at pretty as Oaxaca but more culturally interesting.

Next I'll post some pictures from the city.

2007 BMW R1200GSA
1968 Norton Fastback
1969 Triumph Bonnie

South America Blog

Old 01-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #57
VampyreMP
Frustrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Woo Hoo!

I'll be dialed in for the duration. When you return head up to Traverse City, let me buy the first round and pick your brain. Plan to do a similar trip someday.
VampyreMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #58
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
just in case u're wondering (like me ) where they are, here is a google map for Oaxaca
Old 01-12-2009, 06:31 AM   #59
H-Jay OP
Mo 2 C

San Cristobal Mexico

San Cristobal is a curious mixture of the pre-Columbian indigenous people and the remnants of the old colonial. It is not at pretty as Oaxaca but more culturally interesting. Here are some shots from around the city.

The town attracts a lot of Europeans.

We are well in to January and the Christmas celebrations continue on the Parque. They were giving away these large Christmas Bread cakes to the kids.

..and GSs. We saw 4 all registered in the state of Chiapas.

Some of the local women wore these interesting skirts. They looked like they weigh 10 pounds and were hairy looking.

Chris and I got separated when I went to find a hotel. I sat on a bench in the park while my moto socialized with some of the locals. Shortly after I took this picture my motorcycle was swarming with police. I found they were just curious about it.

We found a hotel several blocks from the Parque at a good rate and secure parking but no internet and the rooms were a little small for two 6 feet plus guys.

This was on the Municipal City Building on the Parque. The EZLN is the revolutionary party that was fighting for separation at one time but seems to have lost its momentum. Note the Palestine bit. Saw that in Oaxaca also.

Interesting, at least to me, are the number of young people, pictured on the right that are attracted to the area’s contemporary revolutionary, land reform views of the people on the left. Sort of feels like the a throw back to the 60's. I didn't notice a lot of mixing and talking with each other. It was interesting to read that the latest leader of the EZLN got on a motorcycle and road around the State trying to revive the cause. Is there some symbolism there? They even sale EZLN T-Shirts to the tourist. What would Che think? Who knows. I,m just an outsider looking in from afar.....

There is a nite scene in town.

But Chris and I found a dinner place with wi fi so we hung out checking e-mail, skype, etc.

Next stop Central America.

2007 BMW R1200GSA
1968 Norton Fastback
1969 Triumph Bonnie

South America Blog

H-Jay screwed with this post 01-12-2009 at 06:37 AM
Old 01-13-2009, 06:57 AM   #60
H-Jay OP
Mo 2 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSgal
Glen Heggstad told me when I met him in Mazatlan on my trip south in September, that a lot of people would criticize me for what I was doing. He said there would be people who wouldn't want me to succeed, because if I did, it would take away their excuses for not doing such a trip. It's a weird thing that makes folks complain about words in your report, but like McBike said, don't waste time thinking about it.

The fact is, you guys are out riding your ride! Kudos to you, and enjoy every minute of it! It's not easy doing what you're doing, but it's your experience of a lifetime.

That's what matters now. You, the road, and the wonderful people you're meeting along the way.

Suerte!here are hundreds of us enjoying your trip !
Thanks for the insight. I agree. Its seemed pretty common for people to express their worst nightmare they heard about Latin America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02short
Hi Harry and Chris

I have been following your progress on the spot messenger and everytime it stops working I check to see if you are near a border. I have reread Sgt. Marty's accounts of border crossings and wonder what you are encountering.

How is Chis's Spanish working out for you guys?

Eight inches of snow here and 8 degrees this morning.

Jim C.
Hey Jim, You should have come. Your off road and track day training would get a real work out. Chris is in his element speaking Spanish and is getting quite good at it.. in comparison to my graqde school level Spanish. The boarders are certainly not the bright spot of the trip but once you get in to or out of a countries guatlet you feel you are ready to progess to the next level ala video games. Stay warm.

2007 BMW R1200GSA
1968 Norton Fastback
1969 Triumph Bonnie

South America Blog