User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
The Beacon OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Clutch

Had handlebar risers added to 2010 F650GS, with a rear brake extension. Next day took the bike for a spin and had trouble finding the friction zone. When pulled bike into garage, clutch was gone. Had bike towed to dealer and they say I probably burned the clutch (they won't have time to look at it until Friday). I think it's too much coincidence. When I picked up bike they told me they had to reroute all cables, now I have no clutch. I don't ride the clutch and only do sporadic offroad, mostly commute to work on freeway, not much traffic. Bike has 35K. Any suggestions? Is the dealer just trying to push the blame on the rider?
The Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 556
thier diagnosis sounds completely plausible
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 1,581
If you're clutch wasn't adjusted properly after the riser install, then yeah, rider fault. Sorry. It's hard for a Dealer to justify a clutch under warranty. They did originally when the manual was wrong stating 1mm play but then was changed to 5mm. It's one of those important things on all bikes.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
If you're clutch wasn't adjusted properly after the riser install, then yeah, rider fault. Sorry. It's hard for a Dealer to justify a clutch under warranty. They did originally when the manual was wrong stating 1mm play but then was changed to 5mm. It's one of those important things on all bikes.
This could explain why my clutch blew up at 30k. Honey you did it again!

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
800 clutch

Is there an aftermarket source for an F800 clutch yet?
gofast1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
The Beacon OP
n00b

clarification on clutch

To clarify, the dealer did all the work on the risers and re-routed the cables. This was added to the 36K service. The clutch did not feel right from the moment I drove home, I thought it was because with the new risers, I just was not used to the angle. I would give it throttle, then would have to release the clutch a lot further than before. If they had to re-route the cables, I still think it's too much of a coincidence that all of a sudden, after their work, it's not engaging, don't you think? Especially since it is a wet clutch, would take a cable not engaging right to burn up the clutch...
Old 10-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

OK, the Dealer installed the components....that changes things. They should have test rode it before giving it back. You are guaranteed to blow your clutch when there is no free play.

I'd be demanding a new clutch one way or another. Poor workmanship. Clutches last way longer than that if treated properly.

And no Loutre, you didn't treat it properly. It's not a boat.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #8
The Beacon OP
n00b

Thanks

Thanks, Reaver! You confirmed my thinking. Also heard back from a guy I know who runs a touring company and owns several 650s that get ridden by all sorts of people. He's never lost a clutch. His reaction was the same, the improper adjustment of the clutch may have caused it to be "ridden".
Old 10-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Beacon,
Fight for your rights. Clearly dealer screw up
Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
I think it is mechanic error. They knew enough that they had to reroute the cables. You would have thought they would check clutch clearance in the process.

So how long have you had the bike?. Do you have a manual? You thought something did not feel right. Why not check the clearance yourself?. It takes all of 5 secs. to know if it right or not.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 2,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
And no Loutre, you didn't treat it properly. It's not a boat.
Can't we meet half way and call it a lemon?

R1150GSA SE

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
The Beacon OP
n00b

Thanks Nacho! Itsatdm, I did not know about the clearance before. I don't work on bikes, I ride them (it's a gal thing...we learn as we go). I mentioned to my husband that it did not feel right (he works on our bikes and was going to install the risers, but since it was due for the 36K service, we figured we'd have the dealer do it). He thought I was just not used to the new angle on the handlebars because the risers make such a difference.

Now I know...that's how we learn. But what I'm pissed about is that the minute I called them they said it couldn't be their fault, obviously I had "ridden" the clutch, even before they looked at the bike. When I picked up the bike the day they insalled the risers, they told me that they had to reroute ALL the cables. After this happened, they said they didn't touch the clutch cable. Whatever, I would have been more than willing to pay for parts or split the bill with them. But now I don't want to pay for anything. We've been really good customers, bought the bikes new from them 4 years ago, a 2010 F650 GS and a 2010 GSA. It's stupid to start trying to blame a good customer before you even open examine the bike to see what is wrong...sorry, still ranting.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,069
Standard dealer answer...

"Z rider iz stoopid, zat iz vat caused dis"....

Welcome to the BMW experience.
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
jengel451
1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer: 556
Long read below

Typical "Dealer", I've seen that attitude a million times at many many bike and car shops.

I would personally approach it via the General Manager since most shops are compartmentalized and more often than not, they all work against each other internally. Sales vs Service vs Parts You talk to any of them, the other departments suck, and they have their own financials that only map up to the GM. The GM is usually the only one that is looking out for the entire business (Big picture).

Just go in, don't be angry, don't point fingers, just state your case and pose it like this.

"I brought my bike in with xx miles, no problem, your shop did XX work, my clutch went out, they said it was my fault, but they then proceeded to, in my mind, finish the work that they initially probably should've done to begin with and that should fix it, you tell me what that looks like to you.....What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Something like that. Generally when you just ask them questions and the answers spell it out, they'll be more receptive to work with you because you didn't dictate, you kind of made them have the great idea themselves. You're dealing with 6 year olds, just talk to them like that and it usually works. Sad, but it's worked for me more often than not.

The other way to do this, and I've had to do this with my wife at the Volkswagen Dealerhip is play the "Girl card" Sucks that it's still on the table, but it is.

Case in point. My wife brought in her Touareg for an oil change (part of the sales package) she gets a phone call saying that the brakes are due, and I quote "They are almost down to metal" she called me and told me. I asked her to call them back and make them give specifics, how much of the pads were left. She calls them and they state "Less than 4mm" which is more than "almost metal"

I told her to just let it go, i'll pull the brakes and do the work myself. fast forward to the weekend, I pull the pads, they are 50%, no shit. I decided to pull all 4 corners on principle and throw them in a bag, went to the Service Managers office and threw them on his desk and told him the story. I then told them the "perception" is that they were trying to take advantage of someone based on their sex and that they were on the verge of "Being one of those dealers"

Long story short, the Service manager got pretty pissed at his guys, paid for new brakes on my rig and apologized profusely.
jengel451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Yes, what the Cool MF'r said, walk softly and carry a big stick.

Ask your Dealer when you bought your bike. Right, 4 yrs ago. How many miles did you put on it? Right, so you didn't just get your license yesterday. Had they test rode it after the install the Tech could have said "The clutch feels like it's slipping" thereby taking the blame off themselves. A service like you had plus the install of the risers absolutely 100% should have been followed by a ride. I used to pick up half the faults on bikes just in riding from the front of the shop to the rear garage door. Tire pressures low/worn, rotor bent, steering bearings shot, brakes mushy, throttle/clutch play off, rough running, shifting stiff etc, etc. All in a quick ride around the corner.

Something aint right here. Got any Lawyer friends?