Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 10:05 PM   #136
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
...I also plan to put the pre-filter material somewhere in the intake tube, and I am going to remove the canister.

Isn't this fun?
Are we positive that we need to remove the rear shock to remove the charcoal canister? That dude's walthrough on removing the canister over at F800riders.org seemed to think so. Why do you need to remove the rear shock? That's a lot of effen work!

I leave for a 3,000 mile trip very soon. I don't want to be puttering and stalling the whole way!

The Griz screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 09:16 AM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:15 AM   #137
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Just to be clear for those of us that were worried about freshly driving a screw into the fairing: A screw already exists in this position. If you look there, the OEM screw head has a plastic cap on it to hide it. You can remove this screw and use it to mount these plates.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #138
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Are we positive that we need to remove the rear shock to remove the charcoal canister? That dude's walthrough on removing the canister over at F800riders.org seemed to think so. Why do you need to remove the rear shock? That's a lot of effen work!

I leave for a 3,000 mile trip very soon. I don't want to be puttering and stalling the whole way!

There is another walk-through somewhere (no pics) that has it coming out
without removing the shock. I will see if I can find it. IIRC he had to work at it some but it came out somewhere.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #139
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Looking at my bike, I notice that if you remove the screws that hold the Voltage Regulator on and move it aside (which is easy as heck), you should be able to get the canister out through there.

The Griz screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 10:21 AM
Old 05-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #140
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Found it!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...41&postcount=9

My Ride Reports
Old 05-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #141
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Thanks, buddy!!

Quote:
Old 05-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #142
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Griz, there seems to be a slight difference between the two threads about the hoses.
10cup, in the F800riders.org thread, thinks the long line to the tank is an intake, and he put a small filter on it to keep dust/debris out.
Crazy mike in his post here on ADV thinks that hose is the drain hose, and he left it hanging at the bottom of the bike.

You seem to be pretty good at this kind of thing, and have all of the diagrams, so what say you?

My Ride Reports
Old 05-28-2009, 02:31 PM   #143
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Griz, there seems to be a slight difference between the two threads about the hoses.
10cup, in the F800riders.org thread, thinks the long line to the tank is an intake, and he put a small filter on it to keep dust/debris out.
Crazy mike in his post here on ADV thinks that hose is the drain hose, and he left it hanging at the bottom of the bike.

You seem to be pretty good at this kind of thing, and have all of the diagrams, so what say you?
I noticed this difference as well, and am a little stumped myself. The parts in question are #3 and #'s 18-24 in diagram below. On one hand, it makes sense that if the fuel pump is pumping fuel out then the tank would need to draw air in. Is that the spot though? But it would also make sense that it's a safety valve for the tank, in which any excess fual or gases would vent out there. The test would be to carfully check the valve (#21) to which way it flows.

I'm leaning more towards the mentality that things go out through there. This would make sense in the canister design as well, since the canister needs to get the excess gases fed to it from the tank. This seems like the spot. I think I'm just going to let mine dangle, given the BMW parts diagram calls #21 a "Ventilation Valve."

The Griz screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 02:42 PM
Old 05-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #144
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Quote:
I noticed this difference as well, and am a little stumped myself. The parts in question are #3 and #'s 18-24 in diagram below. On one hand, it makes sense that if the fuel pump is pumping fuel out then the tank would need to draw air in. Is that the spot though? But it would also make sense that it's a safety valve for the tank, in which any excess fual or gases would vent out there. The test would be to carfully check the valve (#21) to which way it flows.

I'm leaning more towards the mentality that things go out through there. This would make sense in the canister design as well, since the canister needs to get the excess gases fed to it from the tank. This seems like the spot. I think I'm just going to let mine dangle, given the BMW parts diagram calls #21 a "Ventilation Valve."

Ok, now I'm more confused. Isn't #5 the valve? I don't get why they show the hose broken up in to several parts. the hose from the top of the canister goes back, unbroken to the rear #5 then a short hose from #5 in to the tank.
The other hose from the top of the canister goes right across the bike to the "pressure switch" or whatever it's called. Another hose from that switch connects to a T which is one hose from each throttle body.

My Ride Reports
Old 05-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #145
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Ok, now I'm more confused. Isn't #5 the valve? I don't get why they show the hose broken up in to several parts. the hose from the top of the canister goes back, unbroken to the rear #5 then a short hose from #5 in to the tank.
The other hose from the top of the canister goes right across the bike to the "pressure switch" or whatever it's called. Another hose from that switch connects to a T which is one hose from each throttle body.
No, #5 is the screw. Look on the right hand side of the image. It has a key, showing #5 as being the screws that hold #3 (the Safety Valve) on. I myself am going to unhook the hose from the canister that goes to the back of the tank to the Safety Valve (#3) and let it dangle. Then I'm going to unhook the hose that goes from the canister to the "Pressure Switch" and put a rubber vacuum cap on the "Pressure Switch" inlet bung. Then I'm going to leave all of the hosing between the "Pressure Switch" and throttle bodies intact, including the T. No need to remove that stuff. It won't cause any harm, becase it's all after the "Pressure Switch" thingy. Then I'm going to remove that canister and call it good.

The Griz screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 03:11 PM
Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #146
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Quote:
No, #5 is the screw. Look on the right hand side of the image. It has a key, showing #5 as being the screws that hold #3 (the Safety Valve) on.

Ok, #3 not #5. Still wondering what #21 is. There is no break in that hose from the canister back to the valve/tank.

Edit-- see the small in-line valve now over in the key, I must not have looked closely enough at the hose.

hmmm.

My Ride Reports
Old 05-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #147
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Ok, #3 not #5. Still wondering what #21 is. There is no break in that hose from the canister back to the valve/tank.

Edit-- see the small in-line valve now over in the key, I must not have looked closely enough at the hose.

hmmm.
#21 is the Venting Valve. On Japanese bikes they call it a "Purge Valve". This is how I know gases move outward from the tank at this location. The main thing you need to worry about is putting a rubber vacuum cap on the "Pressure Switch" inlet bung.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #148
chunter OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:

Although I think the canister is unlikely to cause many problems ( ), you could just bypass it, plug it off, and leave it in place for now.
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #149
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Hey Dolphin, did you actually remove your canister yet? If so, how did it go? Anything I need to know? I'm removing mine tonight.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #150
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Quote:
Hey Dolphin, did you actually remove your canister yet? If so, how did it go? Anything I need to know? I'm removing mine tonight.

No, didn't have time. I need daylight (no garage). I didn't want to start if I couldn't finish.
Also, we are pretty limited down here on this small island, so I'm not sure where I will get the vacuum hose and plugs. We have a Home Depot, do you think they have it?

If you do yours tonight, please take lots of pics as you go, if possible. And maybe show what you used to plug the hoses or bungs.

My Ride Reports