Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 10:53 PM   #166
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
I think you might be a bit premature with your diagnosis, mostly because I haven't had a stalling or poor running problem for 3 months and 3000+ miles.
I didn't claim to "diagnose" anything.

Quote:
I didn't fully disconnect the canister from the system. I purposely only unhooked the hose from the solenoid to the manifold so only one variable was changed--specifically, the evap system to the engine. As BMW has already acknowledged, some bikes have a problem with the evap system to the tank (the 'tank vacuum' problem), but I didn't want to make both of those changes at the same time, especially since my bike didn't indicate a vacuum problem when I took it in for the fuel gauge.
As I said before, if you didn't actually disconnect the hose from the fuel tank purge valve to the input of the canister, then you wouldn't have any smells or liquids. It's all in the canister.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #167
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,381
My tech removed my cannister without much prodding. They dont like them as they can be problematic. Every bike I have owned, I removed them. It's a pretty popular procedure on motorcycles as these things are not perfected yet in the eyes of a lot of riders. Of course there was no paper work
No gas spew either of course.
I just rode the bike very hard for 230 miles at a dual sport event through some sections of technical stuff. She performed flawlessly and never stalled once. Ill post a report on my (now changed) opinion on the 800 in good offroad conditions soon. But in short, the bike is just the unbelievable and deserves credit. Some of the orange boys were taken by surprise as the big 800 was nipping at their rear tire at times

She never stalled but she did get a bit dirty over the 2 day event.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 06-01-2009 at 10:42 PM
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #168
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 416
Good job Frank! They look good dirty. Looks like you had a blast! I'm looking fwd to hearing how the Bitubo make over worked out.

- M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
She never stalled but she did get a bit dirty over the 2 day event.

Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #169
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
random thoughts

I haven't been following this thread closely because my bike doesn't stall. I rode for an hour is pouring rain and slush this weekend with no problems. (Monarch Pass, 11,312 ft, 33 deg)

Some questions and food for thought:
Where does tube #22 go?
Can it be getting water into it?

Some valves like those in that tube set are designed to vent air in both directions but not allow liquid thru. So they let air out as the fuel warms up and expands, and let air in as you use fuel. But the air flow rate is so small that you cannot detect it blowing of sucking on the tube.

So, if water gets up the tube to the valve, as you use fuel, it will try to suck the water thru, but will not be able to, and also will not be able suck air in, resulting in a vacuum in the tank and fuel starvation. Sympton: vacuum sucking sound when you open the fuel filler cap.

Related info. The KTM950Adv had related problems. Removing the canister did not solve them. Opening the tank vent valves (in the gas cap on that bike) did solve the problem. I worked for me.

On the KLR there is a vent tube off the carb that feeds down by the center stand. In a stream crossing it can suck water up and cause problems. The solution is the "T"; a branch that goes up under the seat.

Does this fit?
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:19 AM   #170
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
T-mod

Did the T-mod to my KLR as recommended on the web. I made it across the next deep water crossing, my buddy's didn't. A lot of folks seem to have crossed deep water with no issue on the F800 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47
I haven't been following this thread closely because my bike doesn't stall. I rode for an hour is pouring rain and slush this weekend with no problems. (Monarch Pass, 11,312 ft, 33 deg)

Some questions and food for thought:
Where does tube #22 go?
Can it be getting water into it?

Some valves like those in that tube set are designed to vent air in both directions but not allow liquid thru. So they let air out as the fuel warms up and expands, and let air in as you use fuel. But the air flow rate is so small that you cannot detect it blowing of sucking on the tube.

So, if water gets up the tube to the valve, as you use fuel, it will try to suck the water thru, but will not be able to, and also will not be able suck air in, resulting in a vacuum in the tank and fuel starvation. Sympton: vacuum sucking sound when you open the fuel filler cap.

Related info. The KTM950Adv had related problems. Removing the canister did not solve them. Opening the tank vent valves (in the gas cap on that bike) did solve the problem. I worked for me.

On the KLR there is a vent tube off the carb that feeds down by the center stand. In a stream crossing it can suck water up and cause problems. The solution is the "T"; a branch that goes up under the seat.

Does this fit?
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #171
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Hose #'s 18, 19, 20, 21, and 22 in the top picture of the tank goes to the canister intake and is actually hose #'s 8, 9, and 10 in the bottom canister picture, and is fully sealed. The output from the canister to the throttle bodies which is #7 in the bottom picture goes straight to the throttle bodies and is also fully sealed. The hose #6 in the bottom picture goes straight downward as a drain from the canister (which nothing typically drains out of because the canister is doing its job). Being that it goes downward, water cannot get into it. Hence, the system is fully sealed from water penetration.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #172
The Griz
North Forest Rider

I just got back from a 45 minute ride in the rain at 70 mph. No stalling. Not even a hiccup. I wonder if the fact that I just installed a K&N air filter has anything to do with it. Most people's initial thoughts would be no. However, the fact is that the stock air filter is paper. Paper is prone to getting water logged, which then would prevent air from passing. It turn stalling the bike. The K&N I installed is oiled woven cotton. I also used the K&N sealing grease that goes around the perimeter of the filter to prevent leaks.

P.S. My bike has never had a stalling problem in the first place. Also, I still have the charcoal canister on too.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:37 PM   #173
R75/5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Eh? To whom it may concern

Although the threat is meanwhile a bit stale, this bit of information might be somewhat relevant:
I stumbled over a post in a german F800 forum describing occasional stalling after riding in the rain. Although the initial stalling occured during a bad weather run, later failures occured even during rides in pretty good conditions and also pretty unfrequently. After faffing around for quite some time without being able to isolate the problem, the guy did finally get around reading out the error memory: It flagged up several "fuel pump failure" warnings.
This motivated him to have a closer look at the fuel pump / fuel pump electronics: Turned out that although the fuel pump assembly under the seat is protected by a rubber seal (directly under the drivers b...), he found to his surprise under the membrane quite some moisture. Dismantling the assembly even revealed the plug for the fuel pump partially submerged.
Careful drying, subsequent contact cleaning and changing the rubber seal (30$) did the trick for him: No re-occurance.
Don't know if this is only an isolated case, but maybe worth for the people experiencing similar problems to have a look under that rubber membrane...
R75/5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 PM   #174
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
Griz, can you post up a schematic for this?

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #175
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
Griz, can you post up a schematic for this?
Will I do?

Incidentally, if you want to, you can access all of these fiche files here.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #176
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks

Incidentally, if you want to, you can access all of these fiche files here.

David

Whoa.... nice. I thought Griz had exclusive access to classified files.

Thanks!!

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:26 PM   #177
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Fiches have been up on bikebandit.com for a while now, FYI.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #178
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,381
www.maxbmw.com too.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 PM   #179
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
I didn't know that, thanks guys!!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #180
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
No matter whether this applies or not, this is not good. Reminds me of the 950 KTM fuel pump issues. I'm gonna get off my ass tonight and take a look at mine.
Thanks for that info, cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R75/5
Although the threat is meanwhile a bit stale, this bit of information might be somewhat relevant:
I stumbled over a post in a german F800 forum describing occasional stalling after riding in the rain. Although the initial stalling occured during a bad weather run, later failures occured even during rides in pretty good conditions and also pretty unfrequently. After faffing around for quite some time without being able to isolate the problem, the guy did finally get around reading out the error memory: It flagged up several "fuel pump failure" warnings.
This motivated him to have a closer look at the fuel pump / fuel pump electronics: Turned out that although the fuel pump assembly under the seat is protected by a rubber seal (directly under the drivers b...), he found to his surprise under the membrane quite some moisture. Dismantling the assembly even revealed the plug for the fuel pump partially submerged.
Careful drying, subsequent contact cleaning and changing the rubber seal (30$) did the trick for him: No re-occurance.
Don't know if this is only an isolated case, but maybe worth for the people experiencing similar problems to have a look under that rubber membrane...
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote