Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #196
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Can you get some pictures online of how the re-routing looks like? Thanks!!!!
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #197
RogerA
Continually Confused

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
Can you get some pictures online of how the re-routing looks like? Thanks!!!!
Will do, it will be early next week.

2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure / 2009 Triumph Thruxton

Bikes I never should have sold: Honda 90 / Honda CB 250 / 1961 Triumph T110 / 1971 Triumph Bonneville / 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 / 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX636 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX12R / 2007 R1200GSA
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #198
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerA
Will do, it will be early next week.
Many thanks!
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #199
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
Just returned (3 hours ago) from a 3,400 mile trip that took me and my 2009 F800GS through many conditions at 45mph to 90 mph including: light rain, heavy rain, 35 degrees and heavy rain, 90 degrees and heavy rain, 35 degrees and light rain, 90 degrees and light rain. 35 degrees and dry, 90 degrees and dry. High altitude (Beartooth Pass, MT and Rocky Mountain National Park, CO) 11,700 ft. Low altitude Nebraska. Very humid central plains to very dry Wyoming, Utah and Colorado desert. No stalling. Not even a hiccup the entire 3,400 miles. Bike ran flawlessly. Fill with gas, lube the chain, check tire pressure, ride.

I believe my luck has to do with a previous post regarding the air filter seal, and that the reason I had no stalling is due to the fact that I'm running a K&N oiled air filer with the K&N sealing grease around the edges of the filter element. This is preventing any water penetration into the orifice that the previous poster mentioned.

I thought I'd post regarding this topic immediately, since I have had zero stalling. I absolutely love this bike. Nothing but positives to say about it. Tons of pulling power through the mountain passes. Tons of low rpm torque. While fully loaded, it's comfortable cruising at 80 mph or 45 mph on the tarmac, and it's very maneuverable on the forest service roads, jeep trails, and OHV trails. Very impressed.

Anyway, I shot 7 rolls of 35mm. As soon as I develop them I will post a trip report.

P.S. I feel it's important to mention that I've had the charcoal canister off and on. Didn't cause or solve any problems with it on or off. The only problem it caused when it was off is more pollution.

The Griz screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 10:08 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #200
never.ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproscloset
My bike, which has 1300 miles on it now has had stalling issues with NO rain involved. Been riding about 70/30, dirt to street.

First time was with approx 300 miles on the clock. Happened after a bout 3 hours high up in the mtns, over 8500 feet. It would cut out in 1st or second at low/idle RPM's. Then, when I tried to start it would instantly die. Had to rev the RPM's and drop in in first to get going.

Took it in for the 600 miles and they said, "weird". They re-set the "adaptations" saying I probably messed them up when I rev'ed the engine to start it. I had to pay for this.

Now, 1300 miles in, and I'm having the same thing, but worse and more often. Only happens after I riding for a few hours, which always ends up being over 8500 (I live in Boulder, CO). It would just cut out all the time, especially after I shut it off for a few minutes. Would be really hard to start as well, jut cut right out. Caused me to drop the bike on pavement once, which was a total drag.

Let it sit in my cool garage for a 2 hours once I got home and the same thing, sputtering and then cut out in neutral.

Obviously I'm gonna call the dealer, but anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

So, a little bit of an update.....

Had it towed (yeah BMW road side assist!) into the dealer, Lakewood BMW/Triumph, and they got it right in.

They saw the problem straight away and basically don't know what is up. They have been calling into BMW NA and telling them the issues and they respond with what testes need to be done to figure out what the issues were. It has had 4 days of test and they still do not know why it stalls. Most likely something to do with fuel pressure, but they are not sure.

So, it's a total bummer because it's summer time, beautiful in the Front Range and my wife and buddies are all riding and camping without me.

At what point do I say enough is enough and ask for a different bike? It always makes me nervous when a bike that is so new has issues that no one can figure out.....

never.ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:19 PM   #201
RogerA
Continually Confused

Oddometer: 73
Thumb

WE HAVE A RESULT !!!

We went through VERY heavy rain today for about 45 minutes - NO STALLING - NO ROUGH RUNNING. the problem is fixed!!!

The following is a picture of the re-routed vent line. As you can see it comes agross the bike and comes down by the kick stand switch.

Again, thank you to Eli and the staff at BMW Denver.
Roger

2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure / 2009 Triumph Thruxton

Bikes I never should have sold: Honda 90 / Honda CB 250 / 1961 Triumph T110 / 1971 Triumph Bonneville / 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 / 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX636 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX12R / 2007 R1200GSA
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #202
anodyne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
I'm interested in how this turns out ... regarding both resolution to issue and how the dealer handles this overall (were you credited the extra $ charged at 600 mi service?).

I was riding above Boulder all weekend w/out issue. I did notice a slight hesitation at one light back in Denver, but no stalling. My canister has been removed and I only have a bit over 1,000 mi fwiw .... best of luck with resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproscloset
So, a little bit of an update.....

Had it towed (yeah BMW road side assist!) into the dealer, Lakewood BMW/Triumph, and they got it right in.

They saw the problem straight away and basically don't know what is up. They have been calling into BMW NA and telling them the issues and they respond with what testes need to be done to figure out what the issues were. It has had 4 days of test and they still do not know why it stalls. Most likely something to do with fuel pressure, but they are not sure.

So, it's a total bummer because it's summer time, beautiful in the Front Range and my wife and buddies are all riding and camping without me.

At what point do I say enough is enough and ask for a different bike? It always makes me nervous when a bike that is so new has issues that no one can figure out.....
anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #203
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 362
[QUOTE=RogerA]

"Eli Myrick (Master Technician) inspected the bike and immediatly commented that the vent tube from the charcoal cannister was lower than he would have expected and very close to the rear wheel.

He sprayed water into both intakes with the engine running - no problem - no stall.

He then put the vent tube into a container of water and continued to run the motor - within 2 minutes the motor stalled." -

Very interesting. Very.

I have not had the bike stall in the rain yet, but last Friday I rode to work in a fairly heavy rain. I parked the bike in a dry underground garage. At 5 o'clock, I walked out to my bike and noticed a large puddle under the bike. I got down and looked, and water was dripping out of the charcoal canister breather. This is 7 hours after I parked it, so there was quite a bit of water in there where there shouldn't really be any. It looks like maybe when running there is suction at that vent tube, and when parked, the hot engine warming the tank of fuel reverses the flow and air flows out of the vent tube. Sun on the tank would do the same thing.

Since I had not read this message yet, I opened up the airbox when I went home, thinking maybe there would be water in there. It was dry.

I am definitely going to re-position this vent hose, and might now consider getting rid of the canister.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #204
CoydogSF
Ambitious Amatuer

Oddometer: 105
Can we still talk about the low fuel/hot temp stalling problem?

Hey All,

Like a few others I've seen post here, I was ignoring this thread until my F800GS started stalling. Thought I would add my experience to the discussion and hope someone might have some insight:

6/27/2009 - After 2,400 trouble free miles since being purchased in Feb, my bike began stalling a few hours into a dual sport ride in 100+ degree temps. Variety of RPM's, uphill, downhill, flat, idling, 5 mph, 25 mph, 65 mph. Made it 60 miles home with the bike stalling every 5 mins or so and it restarting usually on the second try. Interestingly, as I got back towards San Francisco and the temps dropped, the bike ran without a stall for the last 20 mins. I could not duplicate the problem on a 30 minute ride the next morning in mild temperatures.

6/30/2009 - Bike into the dealer. They found a loose connection on the battery where I had installed the power for my Zumo and reasoned that this could be the cause. They also did an update to the OBC relating to the fuel range readings.

7/3/2009 - Bike again began stalling about three hours into a dual sport ride. Again temps close to 100 degrees. OBC showed 60 miles or so left. Limped into town and filled the tank. After being filled, it ran perfectly for another 3 hours of dirt trails in 100 degree temps (with a passenger!). Rode it the next two days in similar temps with no problems (but at least 100 mile range on the OBC).

7/8/2009 - Bike into the dealer. They could not duplicate the problem at any fuel levels, but I doubt they rode it long enough or in hot temps.

7/14/2009 - I picked up the bike and assured them I could duplicate the problem. Added enough gas to get me out to Carnagie OHV. As the OBC showed about 60 miles and the air temp approached 100, the bike started stalling. I compiled the following video shot from my helmet cam to show the problem happening maybe 8 or 10 times on the ride in different scenarios.

After shooting this, I put two gallons in and rode straight to the dealer without the slightest hiccup. By the way, while it was stalling I tried opening the gas cap. Didn't detect any pressure build up and stalling continued.

7/16/2009 - Heard from the dealer that they'd opened a "PUMA" (?) case for me but because they could not duplicate the problem in the shop, could not replace anything. Having read that a new fuel pump seemed to resolve the problem for people, I paid for a new pump myself and promised to bring the issue of reimbursement back up with them if after my 3000 mile trip, the pump seemed to fix it.

7/17/2009 - Well, there goes my indignant speech because the bike (new fuel pump and all) stalled like clockwork today in high temps and with 30 miles or so shown on the OBC. I was able to stall/restart it for another 15 miles or so to a gas station. Once again, 2 gallons in and it ran perfectly all the way home.

On Sunday, I leave for a three week trip that this bike seems purpose-built for - 3000 miles from San Francisco to CO on as much of Pony Express Trail as possible and back home via the TAT. At this point, I'm resolved to just staying above 50 miles on the OBC and carrying an extra two gallons with me for when that's not possible but would appreciate any input anyone might have that might keep me on the road. I feel that my dealer will continue to pursue the issue with me when I get back including possibly taking a long ride with me (though I don't know what that will show that the video doesn't).

Once again, my case is *only* in hot weather after at least an hour riding and *only* with +/- 50 miles show on the OBC. Bike stalls but can be restarted and run over and over for up to 60 miles. In any case, I hope this information helps build upon the body of information related to this frustrating problem with these otherwise magnificent bikes.
CoydogSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #205
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,750
My bike hasn't stalled since I removed the charcoal canister.

Once the temps here in Key West starting getting up in the high 80s the bike would idle rough at cold start and stall until I ran it hard, then seemed to run fine. (Bike is stored outside in the sun under a cover.) I also had a habit (ignorance) of topping off the tank to the very top of the fill neck.

Got caught 150 miles from home and rode through extremely heavy constant rain for nearly all of it. The bike would stall almost every time I pulled in the clutch. I had strong suction when I refueled.

I removed the canister and the bike seems to run freer, although I have only ridden in one brief downpour since.

Your results may vary.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 02:45 PM   #206
Stuntman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoydogSF
Hey All,

Like a few others I've seen post here, I was ignoring this thread until my F800GS started stalling. Thought I would add my experience to the discussion and hope someone might have some insight:

6/27/2009 - After 2,400 trouble free miles since being purchased in Feb, my bike began stalling a few hours into a dual sport ride in 100+ degree temps. Variety of RPM's, uphill, downhill, flat, idling, 5 mph, 25 mph, 65 mph. Made it 60 miles home with the bike stalling every 5 mins or so and it restarting usually on the second try. Interestingly, as I got back towards San Francisco and the temps dropped, the bike ran without a stall for the last 20 mins. I could not duplicate the problem on a 30 minute ride the next morning in mild temperatures.

6/30/2009 - Bike into the dealer. They found a loose connection on the battery where I had installed the power for my Zumo and reasoned that this could be the cause. They also did an update to the OBC relating to the fuel range readings.

7/3/2009 - Bike again began stalling about three hours into a dual sport ride. Again temps close to 100 degrees. OBC showed 60 miles or so left. Limped into town and filled the tank. After being filled, it ran perfectly for another 3 hours of dirt trails in 100 degree temps (with a passenger!). Rode it the next two days in similar temps with no problems (but at least 100 mile range on the OBC).

7/8/2009 - Bike into the dealer. They could not duplicate the problem at any fuel levels, but I doubt they rode it long enough or in hot temps.

7/14/2009 - I picked up the bike and assured them I could duplicate the problem. Added enough gas to get me out to Carnagie OHV. As the OBC showed about 60 miles and the air temp approached 100, the bike started stalling. I compiled the following video shot from my helmet cam to show the problem happening maybe 8 or 10 times on the ride in different scenarios.

&nbsp
&nbsp

After shooting this, I put two gallons in and rode straight to the dealer without the slightest hiccup. By the way, while it was stalling I tried opening the gas cap. Didn't detect any pressure build up and stalling continued.

7/16/2009 - Heard from the dealer that they'd opened a "PUMA" (?) case for me but because they could not duplicate the problem in the shop, could not replace anything. Having read that a new fuel pump seemed to resolve the problem for people, I paid for a new pump myself and promised to bring the issue of reimbursement back up with them if after my 3000 mile trip, the pump seemed to fix it.

7/17/2009 - Well, there goes my indignant speech because the bike (new fuel pump and all) stalled like clockwork today in high temps and with 30 miles or so shown on the OBC. I was able to stall/restart it for another 15 miles or so to a gas station. Once again, 2 gallons in and it ran perfectly all the way home.

On Sunday, I leave for a three week trip that this bike seems purpose-built for - 3000 miles from San Francisco to CO on as much of Pony Express Trail as possible and back home via the TAT. At this point, I'm resolved to just staying above 50 miles on the OBC and carrying an extra two gallons with me for when that's not possible but would appreciate any input anyone might have that might keep me on the road. I feel that my dealer will continue to pursue the issue with me when I get back including possibly taking a long ride with me (though I don't know what that will show that the video doesn't).

Once again, my case is *only* in hot weather after at least an hour riding and *only* with +/- 50 miles show on the OBC. Bike stalls but can be restarted and run over and over for up to 60 miles. In any case, I hope this information helps build upon the body of information related to this frustrating problem with these otherwise magnificent bikes.
Mine just started intermittently doing the exact same thing. Low fuel (around a gallon left), hot temps, and it will quit when I chop the throttle. Then it is hard to start until I put more fuel in it. Also, no vacuum when I open the gas cap.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #207
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,026
cannister on or off ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:08 PM   #208
Stuntman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
cannister on or off ?
Cannister is on and I added a "t" to avoid the stalling problem in the wet. It died prior to the t and after I put it in. What ya think?
Old 07-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #209
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,026
Remove it.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #210
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Remove it.
+ 1 Take DP's advice! Since I removed mine, my stalling for the most part has ceased.
I say that because it has had 2 re-occurances, but not in the last 1500 miles.
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote