Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #226
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
...it read as "I know more than you people..."...
Seems to me, he does. Just sayin'.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:26 AM   #227
hojo in sc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
Oh brother! I feel the same way when I see someone post how terrible their service was with a particular Online Store, how they got it wrong, or how it was late, or whatever. Stuff happens, one bad experience doesn't mean that the store should be banned for life!
hojo in sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:11 PM   #228
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Well, I got the joke.

It seems to me very few of us (me, especially) have any grounds to be giving others here advice about proper Internet etiquette. Desert Dave's signature:

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin. Life's too short!

should perhaps be added at the end of many a post in this forum. I've been flamed by a few here who thought I stepped on their toes with too much gusto, most recently by someone who it turns out spends most of his time in Jo momma. Go figure. So that gave me a good chuckle.

I'm guilty of intemperate, juvenile responses, and so are you, bxr140. Just go back and reread some of your exchanges with The Griz, for instance. And I think that's just fine. This isn't a knitting forum. Most of us here have testosterone poisoning. Those who don't have a thick skin should perhaps limit their exposure.

I'm not saying that anyone should go out of their way to insult or degrade anyone. But seriously, we need to cut each other a bit more slack. It's the only way to get some in return.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #229
Stuntman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Well my F8 is going into the shop with only 2500 miles on it. The stalling is progressively getting worse so I called my local dealer that I purchased it from and they said they have seen the exact symptoms I am experiencing on a few other F8's and it is one of two things. 1. the computer needs updating or 2. there is a fuel sensor that can become faulty so when it heats up, the bike quits. They are going to update my computer and relpace the sensor. Hopefull this resolves the issue.

Other than this issue, it is an amazing bike!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #230
Stuntman
Studly Adventurer

Joel,

Thanks for the education and suggestions! The way I look at is I'll turn it over to my local shop and let them start replacing things until it runs properly . They seem to feel they know what it is based on their past experience and my description but I do plan on printing out your last post and sharing it with them. I'll definitely keep everyone updated. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #231
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Another data point to add to the confusion

Rode 5000 miles to Alaska this summer; started with 4k on the bike, with no "stalling" problems. Rode 3000 miles with a lot of cold rain - a third to half of the time. At 7k, pulling off the highway into a service station, the bike stalled; dry day, about 60 deg F, one gal left in tank. Giant sucking sound when I opened the gas filler. This is the only stall I have had but the tank always has a vacuum now when I fill up (or check to see how it's doing).

Previous bike, KTM950Adv, had the "cannister" problem, which removing the cannister did not solve. It's problem was the venting in the filler caps didn't work right - a "flapendectomy" fixed it.

There definitely should not be a vacuum when I open the filler cap. I'm wondering if the F800GS filler cap has similar venting? I cannot check mine right now because the bike is in transit from Alaska.

Ride report: www.nibbelink.net/html/alaska09.html
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13

RedHawk47 screwed with this post 07-25-2009 at 10:16 PM
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #232
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
Totally unrelated I'm sure, but I started getting the sucking sound when opening my fuel cap. Was a little worried, but didn't suffer any performance issues.
On further inspection I found the vent line to be pinched closed due to my shock body (after a bent shock bolt) pinched the line against the sub-frame.
Never hurts to check.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #233
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
Totally unrelated I'm sure, but I started getting the sucking sound when opening my fuel cap. Was a little worried, but didn't suffer any performance issues.
On further inspection I found the vent line to be pinched closed due to my shock body (after a bent shock bolt) pinched the line against the sub-frame.
Never hurts to check.

Mine's had the "sucking" sound since the first tank fill.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:48 AM   #234
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Mine's had the "sucking" sound since the first tank fill.
You sure that's not comin' from your wallet?
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:21 AM   #235
Stuntman
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon
Big
Money
Waster
Old 07-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #236
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 11:46 AM   #237
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 261
I went for a little Sunday cruise from my home in Vegas to Lake Mead. Headed over to Hoover Dam and then turned around and headed up to Overton along North Shore drive.

I spotted a dirt road down to a cove on the lake that I had not investigated and went off for some dirty fun. The bike ran great down the road and back (save for some horrendous chatter in the forks due to minor washboards in the road).

I start to head back to North Las Vegas and was cresting a hill and the bike bogged and died. I checked the OBC and it said I had >90 miles to empty. My trip meter confirmed that it could not be a low fuel issue. I let out the clutch to spool it back to life and the rear wheel locked up. I pulled the clutch back in and hit the starter and it started back up.

A half mile down the road while leaned over in a turn (safe!) it died again. It did not start normally with the button, this time I had to give it throttle to start the engine.

Made to the gas station (three more stalls) and it only took 3.17 gallons so I had about a gallon in the tank. I always put premium major brand fuel it the beast. One thing I did notice when I unlocked the gas cap was a pretty good release of pressure (gas vapor). It was about 102 degrees on Sunday.

After gassing it up I rode it home and it stalled 9 more times! I would be at a stoplight holding it at 2500 rpm and when I let out the clutch it would burble and die. Now this is not the stall from just off idle when it just dies like you hit the kill switch. This is a sudden drop in rpm and a hestitation when I tried to get the rpm's back. Then when I tried to restart it would just turn over until I gave it 1/4 throttle then it would start.

I would have to keep the rev's up and it would run for awhile longer until it would die again. Other than the off idle stalling when it was new I have never had any problems with it. It only has 5280 miles on the odo.

I was reading in the F800riders.org F800s forums about this happening to those bikes. One of the suggestions was to have the dealer update the ECU software and reset the "adaptation values".

So I finally make it home and I go inside to let the bike cool off. I washed it and dried it off and then took it for a spin around my neighborhood. It ran like a champ with no hesitation whatsoever.

I rode it to work today (Monday 8/3/09) and it ran flawlessly. I am going to have my dealer look at the fuel pressure sensor and reset the ECU as have been described in other posts here. Hell I am going to the dealer armed with printouts of some of them if they give me any "well it is working fine now" crap.

mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #238
Stuntman
Studly Adventurer

As I posted earlier, mine was doing the same thing. I had the dealer run a diagnostic and it showed a immobilization fault code and it had the older computer program. They reset the fault and uploaded the updated program and it has not stalled since completed, albeit I have only ridden it twice since completion. If it occurs again, they will replace the fuel sensor.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:47 AM   #239
Jnana
El8ed, when it runs...

Oddometer: 5
Eek Two types of stall??

I've been reading with interest, but may have something different to add.

My 09 is now 8 weeks old and has 4800km (3000mi??), the first six weeks were excellent, flawless (3700km). The last two weeks have been a little maddening.
The first problem was on a hot dry day, driving in fourth gear at 80km/h the bike dies. No clutch pull-in, no sputter, no power. Simply pressing start button results in turn over but no start. Stop on shoulder and turn off key, then turn key on and bike fires up. No further problems that day.
Next trip the bike starts first try but dies five seconds later (pressing restart results in turn-over but not start, have to turn off ign. key), and again and again, six times until bike stays going. Now it does this everytime i cold start. It is stored indoors and was not wet.
Today in fifth gear @ 100km/h, same as first occurence, one instant running, the next not. Again a beautiful day, but not hot.

I have had no rain stalls, despite 8hrs in a downpour covering 600km.
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #240
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,709
Hi guys,

Reading this thread has been quite alarming. I just finished today at an off road park in Texas, almost 100 degrees with no problems, good amount of fuel.

Has anyone put significant miles on an F800GS *WITHOUT* stalling problems?

I just have 4000 miles but I don't want to find out mine does it when I am in the middle of nowhere...

Should I immediately remove my canister, replace my ECU, cut my vent, paint a huge symbol in goats blood around the bike and pray to the gods of intermittent vehicular issues?
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote