Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2009, 06:35 PM   #241
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Not huge miles, but 5500. Hot, cold, pouring rain, highway, backroads, fast, first gear crawling, ... Nothing yet.

I do get the "woosh" every time I fill up, though.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #242
RogerA
Continually Confused

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Has anyone put significant miles on an F800GS *WITHOUT* stalling problems?
The water stalling issue was immediate, but has been cured by rerouting the vent tube.

Since that time, my wife has put 6,000 miles on the bike, and the stalling with half a tank of gas only started in the last 500 miles.

Roger

2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure / 2009 Triumph Thruxton

Bikes I never should have sold: Honda 90 / Honda CB 250 / 1961 Triumph T110 / 1971 Triumph Bonneville / 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 / 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX636 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX12R / 2007 R1200GSA
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #243
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
7000 miles, no issues.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #244
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
2300 miles in 3-4 weeks. No stalling yet.

This business about disconnecting the battery... Umm... It could be the battery. The exide batteries that BMW puts in these bikes are not that great. Mines been fine but others have have had problems with them. I use abattry tender. I'll probably get a new battery this winter.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #245
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Thanks guys, very informative posts. If anyone has over 10k miles on theirs I would love to hear it, would put my mind to ease and help me understand if this is a true systemic issue.

*Theoretically* (not saying I did this at all because it may void the warranty), resetting the memory would void any re-mapping done at a performance shop?? (sorry, i'm not a software engineer)
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #246
C5!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
mine is a US 2009 F8, built aug08. rode it since january, from sea level to 10,000' altitude, 60 to 100 degrees, in pouring tropical rain, and no stalling problem (but lots of snatchy throttle problems off-road). I have now 11.200 km (7000 miles), just have the 10.000 km inspection done at Ruta 40 in Medellin, Colombia, (a place I can recommend) and they did the front axle recall, changed the fuel level sensor, the radiator hoses and reprogrammed the injection module. haven't ridden it yet to see if there is a difference with the throttle.

C5! screwed with this post 08-11-2009 at 04:09 PM
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 AM   #247
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuda
... and it only took 3.17 gallons so I had about a gallon in the tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerA
...and the stalling with half a tank of gas only started in the last 500 miles.
Any chance y'all could totally drain the tank and tell us if you have water in there? Siphon from the very bottom if possible.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #248
Jnana
El8ed, when it runs...

Oddometer: 5
Eek After another 400 problem free miles...

The stall finally happened today in the way I was dreading...

2 miles of second gear in costruction zone following 3 other vehicles. After exiting that zone and negotiating a hard turn i gear up... 3rd, 4th, 5th, signal to pass, 1/2 mile of road to accomplish the pass, get out there in sixth now and rolling on the throttle... 2 cars passed and then nothing... complete cut-out... I signal right and squeeze apolagetically between the first and second cars in the line and continue to the right onto the shoulder of the temporary road... unsettling... and almost come to a stop before having time to turn off the key and press start. It of course fires right up and runs flawlessly the rest of the way home. 30 deg. Celcius (Canada Eh!) and no charcoal canister (I think-no rain stalls yet) Nearly empty tank, seemed to expell air when opened to refill (I could be wrong).

Later in the day it stalled similar situation but at higher speeds on highway... 6th gear at 160Km/h, passing... this time I turned off the key at 150km/h and was restarted at 120 km/h and on my way without further incident. 28 deg. celcius, calm winds, high humidity. ECU reboot, right?
Jnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #249
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,862
Joel, correct me if I'm wrong. The "swoosh" you hear from the tank is a one way check valve (odd) that lets air in but not out. What you hear is a pressure build up. I removed that valve and wala, no more pressure build up. Im not saying that is caused any ill effect, but I have never owned a bike yet that didnt vent to amosphere.
The check vale is in the tank vent line obviously. And for the record, my bike has never stalled before or after the check valve removel.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #250
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,862
Im not sure how many pounds mine was keeping under the lid, but it was noticable when opening it.
I never owned a bike that had one of those, my latest bikes being a 06' 950 Advenutre and an 07 Husky 610. Both direct vents. The BMW 450 also has this check valve.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #251
Jnana
El8ed, when it runs...

Bluhduh Driving conditions...

The bulk of my stall issues have occured when early in acceleration after periods of steady pace. You know, you come up behind several cars and wait for a legal place to pass. So you coasting along sedately, and then a passing zone comes so you gear down roll on lots of throttle and go... then you get out there and switch back into cruising gear, let out the clutch and about two seconds later... complete cut out. I believe that the tach drops to zero and the engine is stopped. As many have stated, letting out the clutch again could be dangerous (but thankfully if you do it in sixth gear at 100mph it still works out OK).
My tank was filled 10miles prior to this incident, about 1 quart burned in that time doesn't seem like a vacuum problem would have had time to develope. The time before that happened with an almost empty tank.

The bike has also become stubborn to start when cold. 3-8 tries (with or without throttle addition-no change)
Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #252
Jnana
El8ed, when it runs...

Cool2 Ps

No charcoal canister and no wet weather stalls, If i do have one in the rain I suspect it would be coincidental.

There are several accounts of spills taking place from this and I personally came close to wrecking once already.

From the behavior I've experienced it seems like a computer thing, electronic, one second it's alive and the next it is dead. Gas and air don't seem like their nature leads to the explanation.

I'm going to see if new ECU software can be installed and after 500 miles or so I'll update you all.

Expect the stall, arrive alive.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:57 AM   #253
vidd
how was your lamb?

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnana
Expect the stall, arrive alive.
vidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:44 AM   #254
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
3700 milees NO STALLS, not once ever. Well except the time I forgot to put up the side stand and put it in gear.

My thoughts:
1) go to dealer. Check fault codes, check computer program edition, check VIN for recalls,
2) put in some fuel stabilizer or sea foam. Try it before you knock it. We are talking about a few $ not $$$
3) drain tank completely of all gas. refull with good gas from a good station (yes there is a difference between Chev-shell-ron and crap stop-&-go/7-11 gas).

4) if you still have it - take a video camera on a ride. Record the tach & dash + road. It'll be cool to see here & I bet the dealer would like to see it too.

That should do it. If mine did that I'd be in the dealer immediately. It is dangerous no doubt.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:08 AM   #255
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
The Denver dealer's 800 demo bike's in the shop and apparently the techs can't fix it. Sounds like they didn't even get to sell it before it had problems. It's been down for about 6 weeks.

They're saying that they can't get parts for it and that it's the fuel pump. I realize now that in reality, they just can't figure out what's wrong with it. Maybe they should check out this thread for some clues/advice??

I feel for 'em.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote