Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #271
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,682
Law Dawg,
What year is yours & how many miles on it?
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #272
Law Dawg (ret)
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 820
It's an 09 (one year with me this month) and I honestly don't know the miles. Certainly under 3000...knee replacement early this year has limited my riding. It has been babied because of my inability (for now) to go play the way it was made for.

Point here is to show one more symptom of fuel pump issues.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #273
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
I know there is a difference between starting and stalling, but I thought I'd just pass this along just in case anyone might experience a similar problem.

I'm experiencing start problems with my '09 8GS. As it turns out, it's not related with the fuel tank (vacuum or otherwise) nor the charcoal canister. The problem I have is fuel injector related. The injectors needs a heavy dose of cleaning. Something that us regular mortals can't do and only the dealer can. I have 10K miles on the bike and put in nothing but 91 grade. According to the service manager I talked to, he said that the gas manufacturers sometimes put in more alcohol than what is claimed. As a result, the bikes have problems burning the fuel and stall.

In terms of other bikes having the same problem starting as I have experienced, the service manager told me a brand new F650GS twin with only 300 miles is also experiencing starting problems. When the same troubleshooting technique used on my bike was done to the new F650GS, the bike fires up and runs fine.

I hope this helps with the stalling problem. BTW, BMW NA knows about this fueling problem. They're trying to figure out what to do. European people are lucky and don't have to worry as they mix their fuel differently. Cheers.

cheelleebutt screwed with this post 01-17-2010 at 09:27 PM
cheelleebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #274
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
40% Alcohol??

Thats awful! How did you guys determine the % of alcohol in the tank? Hopefully its something that others can do to rule out the fuel as the problem!
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:06 AM   #275
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelleebutt
I know there is a difference between starting and stalling, but I thought I'd just pass this along just in case anyone might experience a similar problem.

I'm experiencing start problems with my '09 8GS. As it turns out, it's not related with the fuel tank (vacuum or otherwise) nor the charcoal canister. The problem I have is fuel injector related. The injectors needs a heavy dose of cleaning. Something that us regular mortals can't do and only the dealer can. I have 10K miles on the bike and put in nothing but 91 grade. According to the service manager I talked to, he said that the gas manufacturers sometimes put in more alcohol than what is claimed. As a result, the bikes have problems burning the fuel and stall.

In terms of other bikes having the same problem starting as I have experienced, the service manager told me a brand new F650GS twin with only 300 miles is also experiencing starting problems. When the same troubleshooting technique used on my bike was done to the new F650GS, the bike fires up and runs fine.

I hope this helps with the stalling problem. BTW, BMW NA knows about this fueling problem. They're trying to figure out what to do. European people are lucky and don't have to worry as they mix their fuel differently. Cheers.
Sounds like a serious load of BS to me. 10k miles and plugged injectors Why does no other fuel injected bike seem to have these issues? I tend to agree that the fuel we buy now a days is crap but that's pretty lame for BMW to be blaming the gas. Maybe we should all start buying our gas from Mexico. If that's really BMW's official stance on this, then they should be providing all owners with a lifetime supply of SeaFoam.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #276
wickit
Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer: 653
Dump De-Icer and Sta Bil in my vehicles on a regular basis all year long. Shitty Ethanol in our fuel attracts all the moisture around. Also only buy from the busiest name brand fuel stations around.

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

AA stands for Alaskan Amber right?
wickit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #277
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
40% alcohol sounds to me like they tried to fix it with too much gas line anti-freeze or methyl hydrate or something before bringing it in. (I sure hope the fuel mix is not that far off from the pumps!)
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #278
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Sounds like a serious load of BS to me. 10k miles and plugged injectors Why does no other fuel injected bike seem to have these issues? I tend to agree that the fuel we buy now a days is crap but that's pretty lame for BMW to be blaming the gas. Maybe we should all start buying our gas from Mexico. If that's really BMW's official stance on this, then they should be providing all owners with a lifetime supply of SeaFoam.
Hi guys. Sorry for the delay in response. I finally got my bike back and have been out riding in the rain. It's the greatest.

Yeah, I know it sounds like a load of bull. And it sounds like absolute baloney that 10K and the fuel injector is clogged. Well I don't have the answer for that. All that I can say is, after they returned my bike with a heavy dose of FI cleaning, I haven't stalled once after two days of heavy rain riding. I'm a software nerd so I can't begin to tell you what the true story is regarding the fuel and alcohol content. I'm just passing along the story so perhaps it can help someone. Take as it may. The FI cleaning did wonders for my bike. Yes, the service manager also mention about the alcohol binding with water, and yes, the People's Republic of California does all kinds of weird things to the gas so they can think they have a cleaner environment. Freakin' tree huggers.

Cheers guys, I'm looking at another wonderful days of riding in the rain. Booya!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #279
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Hi guys. Sorry for the delay in response. I finally got my bike back and have been out riding in the rain. It's the greatest.

Yeah, I know it sounds like a load of bull. And it sounds like absolute baloney that 10K and the fuel injector is clogged. Well I don't have the answer for that. All that I can say is, after they returned my bike with a heavy dose of FI cleaning, I haven't stalled once after two days of heavy rain riding. I'm a software nerd so I can't begin to tell you what the true story is regarding the fuel and alcohol content. I'm just passing along the story so perhaps it can help someone. Take as it may. The FI cleaning did wonders for my bike. Yes, the service manager also mention about the alcohol binding with water, and yes, the People's Republic of California does all kinds of weird things to the gas so they can think they have a cleaner environment. Freakin' tree huggers.

Cheers guys, I'm looking at another wonderful days of riding in the rain. Booya!
If that's the case, then I would seriously be running SeaFoam as a regular additive. I usually only run it once in the spring to clean out any crap from winterizing, then every few months, but in your case I'd just use it in every tank or every other tank at least.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #280
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
If that's the case, then I would seriously be running SeaFoam as a regular additive. I usually only run it once in the spring to clean out any crap from winterizing, then every few months, but in your case I'd just use it in every tank or every other tank at least.
Thanks bross. I did think about that wondering if I should run my bike with some type of fuel stabilizer. I'm still considering it and not quite ready to do anything as of yet. I'm still waiting to see what BMW NA comes up with. I don't know that they will be publishing or recalling anything any time soon.

As for status regarding my bike. I ran the bike in a few more days of heavy rain and it still hasn't stalled yet. I did manage to get the bike to stall on the clear day, not too long after I got the bike back, but I attribute this to low idle revs and didn't throttle up as I was coming out of a turn. Most likely my fault. I adjust the throttle cable a little bit to prevent excessive slack, and the bike hasn't stalled since. I have since revised my riding style a bit too.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #281
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,369
Got a friend with 09 chevy truck that is in shop needed overhaul. 14,000 miles. Chevy says will not fix cause he has 58% ethanol in his tank!! Now he is faced with getting a lawyer to sue the station or the dealer. A friend of mine has gone so anal as to start testing his fuel before he buys. He sees 20%+ on a regular basis. I wish I could find a station with NO ethanol
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #282
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Thanks bross. I did think about that wondering if I should run my bike with some type of fuel stabilizer. I'm still considering it and not quite ready to do anything as of yet. I'm still waiting to see what BMW NA comes up with. I don't know that they will be publishing or recalling anything any time soon.

As for status regarding my bike. I ran the bike in a few more days of heavy rain and it still hasn't stalled yet. I did manage to get the bike to stall on the clear day, not too long after I got the bike back, but I attribute this to low idle revs and didn't throttle up as I was coming out of a turn. Most likely my fault. I adjust the throttle cable a little bit to prevent excessive slack, and the bike hasn't stalled since. I have since revised my riding style a bit too.
No bike should stall from a low idle coming out of a turn! You shouldn't have to adapt your riding style to ride around this "feature". Something's not right. If your bike was carbureted and you had purposely lowered the idle because you liked the sound of it loping along, like a lot of the "cool" cruiser guys do, then I'd say that could be a reasonable cause for a stall. But NEVER on a computer controlled fuel injected bike. That's just flipping dangerous.

Don't wait for BMW to "fix" this, it may never happen. Try running SeaFoam for the next few tanks, just add the proper amount for the size of your tank and see if it clears up the stall. If it does then *you* need to decide if it's worth it to pay for adding a fuel stabilizer for the life of the bike. Don't hold your breath waiting for a fix from BMW.

And I'm not some BMW hater just beating on the brand. I owned and rode an 06 R1200RT for 34,000+ trouble free kilometers.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #283
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
That's why I generally stop at name brand stations. Not a guarantee but my BMW car runs noticeably better on name brand mid-grade vs joker brand supreme.

I used to think it was just me but at idle at stop lights it is a big difference. Gas mileage too. Winter is worse. Ethanol right...

I pay the few extra pennies for good gas now. Genetics are ok for cereal and pasta. I find it funny people are particular about their beer, cigarettes & whiskey but not about their fuel.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #284
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
That's why I generally stop at name brand stations. Not a guarantee but my BMW car runs noticeably better on name brand mid-grade vs joker brand supreme.

I used to think it was just me but at idle at stop lights it is a big difference. Gas mileage too. Winter is worse. Ethanol right...

I pay the few extra pennies for good gas now. Genetics are ok for cereal and pasta. I find it funny people are particular about their beer, cigarettes & whiskey but not about their fuel.

I think you meant "Generics" instead of "Genetics", right?

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #285
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
I think you meant "Generics" instead of "Genetics", right?
Prolly so... they should call it a tI-p(o)hone.