Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #286
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
Got a friend with 09 chevy truck that is in shop needed overhaul. 14,000 miles. Chevy says will not fix cause he has 58% ethanol in his tank!! Now he is faced with getting a lawyer to sue the station or the dealer. A friend of mine has gone so anal as to start testing his fuel before he buys. He sees 20%+ on a regular basis. I wish I could find a station with NO ethanol
I was told that a gas station by the name Sunaco, or something like that, is straight up gas without ethanol/methanol. The folks in the east coast are suppose to be lucky as there are more station over there. There are some in the west coast but it's far and few in between.

Once again, I'm relaying information here and need to verify there are some Sunaco stations here in CA. It's worth a try.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #287
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelleebutt
I was told that a gas station by the name Sunaco, or something like that, is straight up gas without ethanol/methanol. The folks in the east coast are suppose to be lucky as there are more station over there. There are some in the west coast but it's far and few in between.

Once again, I'm relaying information here and need to verify there are some Sunaco stations here in CA. It's worth a try.
Here it is. I should have Googled before opening my mouth.

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site
Old 01-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #288
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Hah! For you CA weenies like me. Here's something you might be interested in. I'll give this a try with the next gas up. Cheers. Best wishes and may your 8GS be alcohol free!

http://www.sunocoinc.com/Site/Consum...California.htm
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #289
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Once again I should have read the info before posting stuff equated to Cr*p! Sorry guys.

BTW, it looks like Sunoco is no better than any other fuel company. Check this out.

"In compliance with federal law and as stipulated by most automobile manufacturers, Sunoco gasolines contain no more than 10% ethanol."

http://www.gosunoco.com/gas-facts-and-tips.aspx

So much for alcohol free fuel. Looks like I might have to invest in some fuel stabilizer. Bummer!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #290
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
No bike should stall from a low idle coming out of a turn! You shouldn't have to adapt your riding style to ride around this "feature". Something's not right. If your bike was carbureted and you had purposely lowered the idle because you liked the sound of it loping along, like a lot of the "cool" cruiser guys do, then I'd say that could be a reasonable cause for a stall. But NEVER on a computer controlled fuel injected bike. That's just flipping dangerous.

Don't wait for BMW to "fix" this, it may never happen. Try running SeaFoam for the next few tanks, just add the proper amount for the size of your tank and see if it clears up the stall. If it does then *you* need to decide if it's worth it to pay for adding a fuel stabilizer for the life of the bike. Don't hold your breath waiting for a fix from BMW.

And I'm not some BMW hater just beating on the brand. I owned and rode an 06 R1200RT for 34,000+ trouble free kilometers.
Thanks again bross. I'm taking your advice to heart and heading to the nearest automotive store, after work, to get some Seafoam for my next batches of fuel. The bike hasn't stalled lately but I'm not waiting for another stall to take action.

Regarding running Seafoam for the rest of the bike's life... I'll do what I have to do to keep baby running. A little more money is no big deal so long as she purs like a kitten and kicks like a mule. Cheers.

cheelleebutt screwed with this post 01-29-2010 at 11:42 AM
cheelleebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 PM   #291
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheelleebutt
... purs like a kitten and kicks like a mule. Cheers.
I finally put the Seafoam in my bike. WOW!! That stuff is great. I can actually tell the difference in the performance of the bike probably because it's cleaning up the fuel. Also, the bike no longer runs rough. Is it my imagination? Perhaps, but I like what I'm feeling.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:05 PM   #292
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Here's an update for you folks regarding my situation. It turns out the alcohol % thing is a bust. The hard start problem I've been experiencing is related with a faulty fuel injector. I had to force the issue a bit, but in the end, BMW covered the fuel injector change under warranty.

I was told by the tech that the coil on one of the fuel injector was discolored. It looks like my hard start problem has been solved and is nothing related with the stalling problems you folks might be experiencing.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:34 PM   #293
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
I am glad I am not the only one with the ehtanol BS from BMW.

Same thing happened to my bike last week. One injector was sticking. They cleaned them and everything was fine till this week. Then one stuck again. So now I am getting 2 new injectors.

BMW warranty is like dealing with the medical insurance companies.

Thanks for posting your experience cheelleebutt!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 AM   #294
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
I am glad I am not the only one with the ehtanol BS from BMW.

Same thing happened to my bike last week. One injector was sticking. They cleaned them and everything was fine till this week. Then one stuck again. So now I am getting 2 new injectors.

BMW warranty is like dealing with the medical insurance companies.

Thanks for posting your experience cheelleebutt!
Does this happen often? I've been driving FI cars/trucks for eons now and never touched an injector. Have owned several injected bikes, putting over 100,000kms on them and never touched an injector? Just a bad batch of injectors?
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:18 AM   #295
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
I think it is just poor quality control from the parts supplier. If you are not having issues they should last tens of thousands of miles. There are only 2 documented cases that I am aware of on all the forums I searched and stay on top of on a regular basis.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:55 AM   #296
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
Any thoughts? what is this stuff?
Somebody's ex-spouse dumped some sugar in the tank?

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 AM   #297
JB44
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
Anybody ever seen anything like this before???...
If it is a yellow-brownish goop, I've had it the fuel tank of my boat. The tech at the boat dealership says it is caused by ethanol gas exposed to cold temperatures.

I had to replace all the fuel lines to get the engine running again.

jb
JB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #298
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I've looked in a LOT of fuel tanks and never seen anything nasty as that looks... is the white crap suspended in the fuel, or does it appear to have been soluable? Only thing I've seen that comes close is the chemical we use to flush injectors (once it's mixed with the gasoline). But after a few minutes, it drops out and appears sort of striated for lack of a better description.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #299
OARPM
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thumbs down Stalled the first time in rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro
My new twin F650gs didn't give me any problems until I got in horrific wind and rain. It would not only stall downshifting into first and second, but also at high speeds usually when shifting up to sixth gear. I was on a three day trip, and realized it would stall every time it started raining, but would run fine when the weather cleared.
I took it to the dealer, and they did a software upgrade, but I am not sure if that will fix it. That same day a F800gs rider came in complaining of the same problem. He didn't have any problems either until he got caught in the rain.
I have a 2009 twin F650 gs with 6,000 miles on it.

I had almost the same problem, all fine until hard rain. This was when the bike had less than 2,000 miles on it. On a pretty hard downpour it stalls at like 3,000 RPM. It started back up fine, no problem, gave it a couple pulls on the gas and noticed more than usual condensation coming from the exhaust(revving to about 7,500 RPM). 3 minutes later, dies again, and starts without a problem but idled rough for a couple of seconds and evened out.

It rained for 180 miles, and kept it above 4,000 RPM. No more problems.

Only time its happened. Since then I've been expecting it every time I hit rain... I'm still waiting.

Other than that all good!
OARPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #300
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,268
Tried searching this thread but didn't see this. There's a recall out for this...

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V499000
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...intVersion=YES

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
BMW / F650 GS 2008-2010
BMW / F800 GS 2008-2010
Manufacturer: BMW OF NORTH AMERICA, LLC Mfr's Report Date: DEC 17, 2009
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V499000
PE09051
NHTSA Action Number: PE09051
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Potential Number of Units Affected: 4498
Summary:
BMW IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 THROUGH 2010 F650 GS AND F800 GS MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN JANUARY 2008 AND DECEMBER 2009. DURING ENGINE OPERATION, A VACUUM IS CREATED IN ORDER TO DRAW FRESH AIR INTO THE CANISTER. THIS AIR THEN MIXES WITH THE FUEL VAPORS CAPTURED BY THE CANISTER, AND IS SUBSEQUENTLY COMBUSTED. DUE TO THE ROUTING OF THE VENTILATION HOSE, WATER NEAR THE END OF THE HOSE COULD BE DRAWN INTO THE CHARCOAL CANISTER.
Consequence:
WATER COULD FLOW INTO THE CANISTER CAUSING A STALLING CONDITION INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND ADD AN ADDITIONAL HOSE AND ROUTE IT SUCH THAT THE PRESENT DEFECT IS PREVENTED. THIS REMEDY WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING JANUARY 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BMW AT 1-800-831-1117.
Notes:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
bross is online now   Reply With Quote