User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2010, 11:24 AM   #316
Teflon2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Stalling at 11K miles

Last weekend while riding on dry dirt roads my engine just stopped as if the key was turned off. Pulled over, it started right up.
Continued on and it happened again and again and again.

Always starts right back up. Seems to happen as I decelerate.
This problem first occured about 10 miles after topping off with 1.75 gals.
At one point I pulled over and open and closed the gascap. This seemed to fix the issue. When I got to a buddy's house I opened and closed the cap and it stalled twice more on the 12 mile ride home. Coincidence?
Just trailered it to the dealer this morning. I'll post the findings as soon as I find out.
Teflon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:51 PM   #317
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by outpostbabu
Even if they fix it this time my confidence in the bike's reliability is greatly diminished at this point.
I can understand that. I'm back to looking at either a G650GS, or a 650 V-Strom. However, I'm not ready to give up on the 8gs yet. I would get a second bike and have them fix the problem with the 8. In the end, the 8gs is a magnificent machine when it runs.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #318
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
Best suggestion I can think of is that you got bad gas at some point and now have a bad fuel filter or cloged sending unit. I'd ask the dealer to check and/or change both.
I'd agree with that if the bike reported problem with the fuel pressure sensor. Unfortunately, the diags come back with a clean bill of health for everything on my bike. Of course, I can't say that I can truly trust everything the diags says. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #319
cheelleebutt
Clueless Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon2
When I got to a buddy's house I opened and closed the cap and it stalled twice more on the 12 mile ride home. Coincidence?
Just trailered it to the dealer this morning. I'll post the findings as soon as I find out.
Is there any possibility that there might be a flaw in the FI design? However, I don't recall hearing the 8st having stalling problems nor FI problems. Sigh.... just a thought...
Old 03-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #320
motojc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hi Guys, I'm currently looking for a 800GS, no I've been dreaming of one. But this stalling would be a pretty big stopper for me. Is it still happening? And what's the percentage of bikes that have this? and did BMW acknowledge this and came out with a fix? thanks and good luck.
motojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #321
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
My 2009 is flawless. No stalling, no other issues. There are a some complainers around. Most F8s no problems.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #322
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,677
When my charcoal canister accidentally fell off, I noticed it was full of water.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 AM   #323
Teflon2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
stalling update

Dealer phoned Sat. Replaced fuel pump. They are 100% sure this was the problem. I'll post more details, if any, after I pick it up.
Teflon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:52 AM   #324
RogerA
Continually Confused

Oddometer: 73
Pissed Here we go again!

Short history:
Last year my wife traded he R1200GS for an F650GS. In late June we set for for another trip to Alaska.
Day 1, we get into rain and her bike stalls MANY times
Day 1, she runs out of gas with 50 miles showing on the computer
Day 2 we take into BMW dealership in Michigan, they say there are several recalls that have to be done (including the axles and fuel strip) and that they don't have the parts. To save the trip we trade the 650GS for a F800GS.
About Day 5, we run into rain IT STALLS, the back wheel locks and she goes down.
We abandon the trip and head for BMW Denver, they find the cannister/hose problem. The next time we run into water - no problem.
On the the way back to florida (she now has about 5000 miles on the bike), we are on the freeway, in the dry, and IT STALLS.
It stalled about another 20 times getting back to Florida.
When we get back we take it into the delaership to be fixed.

LAST WEEKEND
About 3 weeks ago we ride from DeLand (near Daytona) to Jacksonville (about 100 miles), no stalling.
We fill up in Jacksonville and ride back to DeLand, no stalling.
On Saturday, we head up to Jacksonville again (same tank of gas), after about 45 minutes on the road (72 degrees / dry / backroads) we are pulling into a small town IT STALLS TWICE.
We gas up (put in 2.4 gal, no pressure release as she oipens the gas tank), in the next 20 miles the BIKE STALLED 12 TIMES. The last time it stalled was in the middle of traffic on I95 exit ramp.
We gave up and called BMW and had the bike towed.

Her bike should be delivered to BMW Daytona this morning (Monday), we'll see what they say but I am not holding my breath.

We were planning to go to the BMWMOA rally this year - not a chance with her bike being this unreliable.

2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure / 2009 Triumph Thruxton

Bikes I never should have sold: Honda 90 / Honda CB 250 / 1961 Triumph T110 / 1971 Triumph Bonneville / 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 / 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX636 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX12R / 2007 R1200GSA

RogerA screwed with this post 03-22-2010 at 03:53 AM
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #325
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Might be overfilling

I reported on another thread that a rider in our group had very persistent stalling problems for over a year. She had the "T" mod done last August and It helped but the bike still stalled. Dealer checked everything; fuel pump, sensors, reload software ,and even had a factory rep examine the bike. Still stalled. Three months ago, we found out she had been filling the tank up to the top brim on the side stand. Manuel days to fill to bottom of the tube. She started doing that and the bike has not stalled since.

Theory is that the gas expanded from engine heat or just air temperature and somehow got into the canister causing venting problems with the tank. She was in the habit of fueling up at our meeting place and letting the bike sit for 15-20 minutes before we took off.
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 AM   #326
RogerA
Continually Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerA
Short history:
Last year my wife traded he R1200GS for an F650GS. In late June we set for for another trip to Alaska.
Day 1, we get into rain and her bike stalls MANY times
Day 1, she runs out of gas with 50 miles showing on the computer
Day 2 we take into BMW dealership in Michigan, they say there are several recalls that have to be done (including the axles and fuel strip) and that they don't have the parts. To save the trip we trade the 650GS for a F800GS.
About Day 5, we run into rain IT STALLS, the back wheel locks and she goes down.
We abandon the trip and head for BMW Denver, they find the cannister/hose problem. The next time we run into water - no problem.
On the the way back to florida (she now has about 5000 miles on the bike), we are on the freeway, in the dry, and IT STALLS.
It stalled about another 20 times getting back to Florida.
When we get back we take it into the delaership to be fixed.

LAST WEEKEND
About 3 weeks ago we ride from DeLand (near Daytona) to Jacksonville (about 100 miles), no stalling.
We fill up in Jacksonville and ride back to DeLand, no stalling.
On Saturday, we head up to Jacksonville again (same tank of gas), after about 45 minutes on the road (72 degrees / dry / backroads) we are pulling into a small town IT STALLS TWICE.
We gas up (put in 2.4 gal, no pressure release as she oipens the gas tank), in the next 20 miles the BIKE STALLED 12 TIMES. The last time it stalled was in the middle of traffic on I95 exit ramp.
We gave up and called BMW and had the bike towed.

Her bike should be delivered to BMW Daytona this morning (Monday), we'll see what they say but I am not holding my breath.

We were planning to go to the BMWMOA rally this year - not a chance with her bike being this unreliable.

Recieved an e-mail from BMW Daytona this morning and a call from BMW NA.

Nothing fixed yet, but so far I'm impressed with the speed of response.

Bikes I never should have sold: Honda 90 / Honda CB 250 / 1961 Triumph T110 / 1971 Triumph Bonneville / 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 / 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX636 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX12R / 2007 R1200GSA
Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #327
motojc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
when the stalling happen, is it dying on idle or dying regardless of RPM? I took a test ride of 800GS this wknd, the engines was fantastic, but the idle was so low and quiet, I had to keep the throttle up a little to make sure it does not die in turns... see now my mind is totally damaged...
motojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #328
RogerA
Continually Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojc
when the stalling happen, is it dying on idle or dying regardless of RPM? I took a test ride of 800GS this wknd, the engines was fantastic, but the idle was so low and quiet, I had to keep the throttle up a little to make sure it does not die in turns... see now my mind is totally damaged...
there is no common factor that I can find. decelerating, accelerating, full tank, empty tank, hot weather, cold weather.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #329
daq7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Guys, you know that motorcycle consumer news last month had a notice that BMW had recalled the 800s for a stalling issue. I thought it was rain related, but...

How do you check on official recalls?
daq7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #330
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by daq7
Guys, you know that motorcycle consumer news last month had a notice that BMW had recalled the 800s for a stalling issue. I thought it was rain related, but...

How do you check on official recalls?
Scroll back a few pages to post #300, I posted the recall details there...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300
bross is online now   Reply With Quote