Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 04:45 PM   #376
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubwould
OK.... So some are removing the lines from the CC, then capping em off... Will that work? Seems to me the line from the throttle bodies (via a solenoid I guess) needs to be capped, and the line to the fuel tank left open...

If memory serves, and usually doesn't Thats how the canisterectomy was done on my older RT....

Who's done this successfully and how??

Had some stalling when off the throttle, and a big vacuum in the tank when the gas cap was opened. So the recall/reroute was done, and the CC had alot of dirt in it. A new CC has been ordered but now after about 100 miles and no stalls, it started again, but different, the first time was coasting like before, but then it started with the throttle opened??? And NO vacuum in the tank?? Don't believe it's from the CC, but could be, so a quick and simple CC disconnect would tell me for sure...

Thanks
I removed the CC.....capped the solenoid with a rubber cap from autozone....Then put a little filter on the intake line to the tank.....

You might want to check the one way check valve in the line from the tank vent..... You need to take the colored plastic off around the tank filler.... Make sure the arrow is pointing towards the tank....I`ve heard some say that some have been installed backwards...(pointing away from the tank).....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #377
bubwould
Redneck Hippie

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Cap off the T where the throttle bodies meet. Remove that solenoid comepletely. Just take some silicone and seal the connector to it. Extend and run the tank vent line down below the engine. Very easy to do.

Thanks Frank, that clarifies what I suspected... Don't believe the current stalling is from the CC, but this will be an easy test to confirm it.

And thanks Dave for that video, that's what my bike is doing now! Probably fried the fuel pump when the CC was plugged, had a huge vacuum in the tank before.

Ken
bubwould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #378
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoydogSF
This has obviously become quite a long thread with a tons of info, theories and offshoots but just to clarify, this video is one I put together and posted earlier in this thread at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...5#post10380565. My issue was stalling in in high temperatures and usually with slow offroad riding on a 2009 F800GS.

I was finally able to duplicate the problem at a dealership in Denver by riding around in circles for an hour in the vacant lot next door to get it hot enough and when the tech put a gauge on my fuel lines it showed the pressure alternately spiking and dropping. New fuel pump (not fuel pump electronics) resolved the issue.
Hey Dave,

Can you clarify a bit for me please?

Was your fuel pump replaced twice before things were fixed? You mention paying to have it relaced youself before your TAT ride (post #204) and the problem was still there...

Also, how many miles have you done since the "final" fix?

My shop suspect the fuel pump, but it doesn't show a fault code when the bike is pluged into their analyzer..

Walt

Motowalt screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 08:36 AM
Motowalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #379
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

I had a similar problem with stalling (09 F800GS ~7.5k miles). Stalled 6 x in one afternoon and when I finally made it home it would not start. Had it towed to the dealership via BMW roadside assistance. Computer did not show any fault codes. Dealership replaced the electronic fuel pump controller. They said they sometimes see these fail on the big GS's, usually complete failure, unlike the off and on failure of mine. Seems to work fine now...will try to put some miles on it to be sure.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:19 AM   #380
CoydogSF
Ambitious Amatuer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motowalt
Hey Dave,

Can you clarify a bit for me please?

Was your fuel pump replaced twice before things were fixed? You mention paying to have it relaced youself before your TAT ride (post #204) and the problem was still there...

Also, how many miles have you done since the "final" fix?

My shop suspect the fuel pump, but it doesn't show a fault code when the bike is pluged into their analyzer..
Walt,

They only replaced what they called the "fuel pump electronics" before my trip and it had no effect on the problem. I stalled 20 times a day from CA to CO with no fault codes ever appearing on my bike. Only after bringing the bike to a dealership in Denver in the stall condition and having them put a pressure gauge onto the fuel pump did the tech have the "aha!" moment and see that the pump itself was not maintaining pressure. So fuel pump, not "fuel pump electronics."

After the pump was replaced, we rode two up through Rocky Mtn National Park and on the TAT to Moab including the Alpine Loop and the White Rim Trail. I'm completely confident the new pump fixed the problem.

Good luck.
CoydogSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #381
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

Dave,

Well, I guess the controller wasn't the fix for mine either...
When I got the bike home it seemed slower to start than usual.
Rode 70 miles and turned it off. Would not restart until I resorted to pounding on top of the fuel pump wth my fist..., but at least I was able to ride it to the dealer who ordered a fuel pump and I will try again after it's installed tomorrow...will report further afterwards...
Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM   #382
CycleRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Fixed

Got my bike back Friday. Had taken it in because it would stall or act like it was running out of gas, anytime I would run at low rpm's. I was able to limp to my local Dealer for Service. (see original post #365)

End Result: Replaced Fuel Pump and Fuel Injectors.

It now runs better than ever! I am very satisfied with the response that I received from the Service Department at the Hitching Post in Hopkins (suburb of Mpls). It took about a week for the parts to arrive, but they kept me informed by calling me with updates until the bike was finished. All warranty work.

It's nice to be back on the road again!

Tom P.
Minneapolis, MN.
CycleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #383
bubwould
Redneck Hippie

Oddometer: 17
remove the CC!!!

Glad to hear your back on the road again! My stalling was a bad fuel pump as well... mine musta been fried from having the CC plugged and creating a vaccum in the fuel tank.

Bottom line: If you ride in mud and water REMOVE the charcoal cannister!!! All my stalling issues would have been completely avoided if Id done that from the get go!!!
bubwould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #384
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
add me to the list

8000 miles on my 2009 F800gs, was running 4000 rpm steady state with a half a tank of gas. bike died like the the key had been turned off. happened four more times under the same basic conditions. would restart each time. calling the dealer Tuesday. ugh... <>< craig
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #385
TAMPAJIM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Check the sidstand switch. Same thing happened in our group a few months back. A pin or something fell out of the switch and it was flopping around resulting in intermittent stops.. We duct taped it to ride home, dealer replaced switch under warranty.
TAMPAJIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #386
njoytheride
NJOYN' THE JOURNEY

Oddometer: 827
thanks

the side stand switch makes sense. it would die just like you had shut the key off. I did go through some creek crossings so maybe that caused a short. Thanks, <>< Craig
njoytheride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #387
Motowalt
UNSTOPPABLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoytheride
the side stand switch makes sense. it would die just like you had shut the key off. I did go through some creek crossings so maybe that caused a short. Thanks, <>< Craig
You are experiencing symptoms almost identical to mine...I'll bet its the fuel pump....(I never did any water crossings or rode in the rain...)
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #388
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 260
I have not had any problems with stalling until this summer. I can't explain why but it seems to be exacerbated by high temps. I had two minor stalling issues last week but it restarted easily and ran fine after.

Today riding home from work it was 105F. I have 17k miles on my 09 F800GS. I always put premium fuel and I mostly get Chevron gas. I just put in some seafoam when I last filled up. I had a half tank when I rode home. It started just fine and on the freeway ran flawlessly. I take my exit and come to a stop at a light, the bike was idling normally. I twist the throttle to ride away from the light and nothing. Rotating the throttle produced no acceleration from the engine just a burble and then it stalled.

Hit the starter button and the battery was spinning the engine fine but it would not start. I turn the key off, wait a few seconds, turn key on bike starts fine. The road is a downhill grade so once up to speed I pull in the clutch and coast. I can see the tach holding steady the suddenly the engine quits.

So I make it home but only after having to repeat the key off/on sequence twice to restart after it stalls.

When I get home I open the gas cap and I have a release of pressure not vacuum as others have reported.

I had mentioned the stalling to the service advisor when I stopped in to order some new grips earlier this week. He said that I was not the first to complain about it and he said that it seemed to him that more folks have had stalling issues after having the CC hose routing recall. Don't know how much stock I put in that but thought to mention it. I have had the hose recall performed.

So I am hoping for a hot day tomorrow so I can ride my bike long enough to get it to stall so I can get the dealer to see what is happening.

mapuda screwed with this post 06-24-2010 at 10:37 PM
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:43 AM   #389
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
I can't imagine how the CC hose recall would affect stalling ...

I have had rare stalls on my bike under similar conditions.
Either sitting at the light idling, or when I go to take off from standing start.

I was in for my 12K service and asked them to look at it - no error codes had been captured, of course the bike acted fine when they rode it (don't they always?) and they couldn't find anything wrong.

I did get the newest firmware (F658GS): 7729159.

I hope this is the version with the ignition timing retard feature that Joel has mentioned, but I have no way to know. Anyway I just got bike and have not put many miles on it, but it does feel better taking off, seems a little smoother overall, and I think the idle speed has been bumped up a bit ... maybe 100 rpm hot, and 200 - 300 rpm when cold.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #390
jokermtb
Blues Ripper

Oddometer: 109
My buddy just mentioned he had a weird stalling problem just today. I thought it sounded weird and DEFINITELY unusual. Surely it must be an isolated occurance....until I looked here. Man, was I surprised!! He said it started shortly after BMW did his airbox recall mod.....hmmmm.....? Could the recall mod have initiated this common stalling issue?

Wow, 26 pages and no real "yeah, that's IT"......must be frustrating!!!
jokermtb is offline   Reply With Quote