Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #601
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
The VERY early versions had an issue with the kick-stand safety interlock and would cause the bike to cut off ....

I have the GS-911 also, and am staring at the printout but it's not obvious to me what level firmware i have...
under the BMS-KP2 section (I have F650GS-twin) it says:

MCV: 0.6.0
FSV: 0.77.36
OSV: 2.3.1
Factory I-Level: K024-08-05-500
Actual I-Level: K024-10-02-550
Ill try to hook mine up and see what it says tomorrow

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #602
nickgindy
Doing it Wrong

Oddometer: 2,329
Quote:
The VERY early versions had an issue with the kick-stand safety interlock and would cause the bike to cut off ....

I have the GS-911 also, and am staring at the printout but it's not obvious to me what level firmware i have...
under the BMS-KP2 section (I have F650GS-twin) it says:

MCV: 0.6.0
FSV: 0.77.36
OSV: 2.3.1
Factory I-Level: K024-08-05-500
Actual I-Level: K024-10-02-550

2003 Sv650s; 2012 BMW F650GS; 1999 Suzuki Dr 350se; 2009 GSXR 600
http://www.youtube.com/fetuss10
nickgindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 AM   #603
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,144
Well ... if it make sense your FSV is 1 notch higher than mine....
I think FSV stands for Freken Softverk Veksion ...

Ok seriously I didn't think it had a big chance of being the firmware, now I think the chance is almost nil.
I had an early bike build and did have the problem which the firmware did fix, but I think you have something else going on...

As a general comment O'Reilly Auto Parts has a "buy one get one free" sale going for Techron fuel system cleaner.
A good maintanence product for BMW owners to have on hand ............
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #604
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Stalling: 2013 F800GS is a dangerous position.

12/8/2012
I have a 2011 F800GS with Remus Manifold and Exhaust.
In 8000 miles or so, I have had no stalling issues thus far.

My friend has a 2013 F800GS with about 1000 miles on it and she has had two stalling incidences, so far.
I asked her the specifics:
She said: First time. Went out to bike in morning. It was 60 dry. Bike would not start. She said bike was on its side stand. She turned the key on. The lights did their thing. (Paused.) Then hit the starter button and it would not start. She opened the gas tank. No sound of air. No vacuum sound. She closed the tank lid and the F800GS started without incident, and ran fine the rest of the day.

Next time it happened:
45 dry. Riding in traffic, in third gear. Approaching a red traffic light, she pulled in the clutch, with the intention of shifting down to neutral, to wait out the light. The bike sputtered and acted like it was going to stall.
She told me she put the bike in first and rolled on the accelerator to keep the bike from dying. Pulled in the clutch at the light and had the RPMs up so the bike would not stall. She said it sounded like the battery was dying or she was out of gas. She kept the rpm's up at every other light she stopped at, and finally pulled over a couple miles later, at a motorcycle shop to have things looked at.
She said she put the bike on its side stand and it was idling fine. She looked at the gas gauge and it was reading low. She had just filled the gas tank recently. She knew this was a false reading. She said she was puzzled. (What?) - Then the bike died. Stalled - While parked and idling in neutral on its side stand.
She took the key out of the ignition and opened the gas tank. No sound of vacuum. Closed the tank. Put the key back in the ignition. Looked at the gas gauge and it read almost full, now. She started the bike. Rode to her appointment and the bike didn't act up again, so far. The service rep told her that a batch of bad gas has been causing all sorts of vehicles the same problem. Cars included and sold her some fuel injector cleaner to add to her gas. - More later

Update: 12/11/2012
The 2013 F800GS made a burping noise tonight. Sounded like a strange noise from the tank. No loss of power. After being told this I asked my friend to stop and we investigated. I opened the tank with the key on the 2013 F800GS and it whistled air. I opened my tank on my 2011 F800GS and there was no noise what so ever. We both filled up at the same pump at the same petrol station. Hmmm?

fractalsource screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 09:49 PM Reason: Took out a sentence. (Update)
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #605
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manventure View Post
Figured out my problem. It was the damn side stand switch.......

Bike started acting funky again a couple days ago so I read up on here and noted that the side stand bypass was red+white with a floating brown.

Sure enough it started dying again. Then it wouldn't let me start it unless it was in neutral, even with the clutch in. Finally every time I swtiched it out of N into 1st it would die.

Pulled over and did a switch bypass and it proceeded to run for 300+ miles today without another burp.

So much for my fuel conspiracy.
After by passing side stand switch, have you had anymore issues?
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #606
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
My fuel pump was just replaced today. Part no. 16-14-7-723-151.

My bike is back in my garage where it belongs!!
Have you had any problems since?
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #607
cathulu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
BMW is also replacing my fuel pump. Hope it solves the problem and the controller is still good. At least something is being done in the right direction.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2
cathulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #608
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
So I've got the 2008 f650 twin (very modified) and i'm at about 63,000 km. I let it sit in the cold for about 6 weeks unstarted with a low tank. I know. stupid.

In the past it had stalled on the very odd occasion but not enough to worry. Since the recent stupidity it has been stalling very regularly. It tends to be less happy after the bike has been running for about 30 minutes. It has mostly been stalling at a stop with the clutch in or when starting but has recently been stalling in 2nd gear at moderately slow speeds. OH, and it's worse since I took it into the dealer to have them update my software for a nice $140 fee (the hourly rate plus a new fuel pump seal). They say they see nothing wrong, but I have very little faith in what they know or have the ability to figure out.

Now my bike seems to be able to restart without having to turn the key off and on, albeit with sometimes quite a struggle from the starter.

Reading the comments from one inmate (sorry, forget his handle as i'm typing this but he seems to really know his stuff... along with great comments from JR Wooden who's opinion I also respect) it seems that if i'm able to restart without having to turn the key off and on my first part replacement choice would be the Fuel Pump Controller (yes, no?). and then second would be the fuel pressure sensor? and third the fuel pump?... I saw this link on the previous page:

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-892784...2006-2010.html

and it seems to be a shitload cheaper than the BMW part... but then again BMW parts seem to be at least double any more comparable aftermarket part.

Seeing as I got one of the first bikes in North America to roll off the boats I've been dealing with quite a variety of warranty and non warranty issues but this is really the one that has me very pissed off seeing as I have no confidence to go for even a quick spin or ride to work, let alone heading off into the backcountry a couple of hundred miles.

OH, I've also been trying the water remover additive and the ride today I tried the ethanol removal additive. I can't seem to find the HEET for non diesel around here but not sure if that will do me any good anyway.

My guess is that by sitting unstarted with a low tank in the cold has created enough condensation that whatever part/parts in the fuel pump have probably been damaged. Although it seems odd that the dealer doesn't have the ability to tell me this. My pessimistic guess is that they looked at it and said.. 'looks fine to me Jed, how 'bout you?'.

So, to end my rant, my question is that for replacing parts one at a time am I best to go in this order:

1) Fuel Pump Controller

2) Fuel Pressure Sensor (which i can't even find the part on the microfiche)

3) Fuel Pump (the aftermarket one... which i'm not even sure if that will work for the 650 twin).

cheers,
Mark
Old 03-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #609
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,144
M:

I"m a big fan of Techron although in this case I'm not "sure" it will fix your problem,
but if the problem came on suddenly after sitting for 6 weeks I would say odds are pretty good that it might fix you up...
I'd get a big bottle and put 4oz / tank or a bit more till the bottle was gone ....

Do you have access to GS-911?
Did the dealer computer pull any stored failure codes?
I'd try to get a read on the computer before swapping parts........ there might be something helpful?

How often are we talking here on the stalling?
Does it seem to get worse when tank is low on fuel?
Pump is partly cooled by fuel which doesn't work well when tank runs low......
Stalling after you have been riding for a while would lean to the pump getting hot...

One of the recent developments is that a number of folks have found that the fuel filter seems to be loading up at fairly low miles... obviously this puts a strain on the pump and makes the bike less predictable since it's no longer operating as centrally in its fuel system mapping ... well that's my half-assed story anyway.........

BMW does not sell the filter separately, but we've got a thread going on other options here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834239

I've not done it myself, but several folks have used this pump (also on eBay) on the twins with apparent good results:

Apparently the fuel pump controller has also been superseded by a new one with dark power coat finish vs. our raw aluminnum...

I am suffering with some first model year pains as well...

JRWooden screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 09:02 PM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #610
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
M:

I"m a big fan of Techron although in this case I'm not "sure" it will fix your problem,
but if the problem came on suddenly after sitting for 6 weeks I would say odds are pretty good that it might fix you up...
I'd get a big bottle and put 4oz / tank or a bit more till the bottle was gone ....

Do you have access to GS-911?
Did the dealer computer pull any stored failure codes?
I'd try to get a read on the computer before swapping parts........ there might be something helpful?

How often are we talking here on the stalling?
Does it seem to get worse when tank is low on fuel?
Pump is partly cooled by fuel which doesn't work well when tank runs low......
Stalling after you have been riding for a while would lean to the pump getting hot...

One of the recent developments is that a number of folks have found that the fuel filter seems to be loading up at fairly low miles... obviously this puts a strain on the pump and makes the bike less predictable since it's no longer operating as centrally in its fuel system mapping ... well that's my half-assed story anyway.........

BMW does not sell the filter separately, but we've got a thread going on other options here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834239

I've not done it myself, but several folks have used this pump (also on eBay) on the twins with apparent good results:

Apparently the fuel pump controller has also been superseded by a new one with dark power coat finish vs. our raw aluminnum...

I am suffering with some first model year pains as well...

I don't think you can get techron in Canada other than in small amounts in chevron gas. And on the fuel filter front I'm not sure what part of that whole assembly is the filter and how to go about flushing it [EDIT] is the filter that little bag that they are labelling as a strainer at the bottom of the fuel pump assembly??

markymcd screwed with this post 03-03-2013 at 09:21 PM
markymcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #611
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

is this the fuel filter?....
Old 03-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #612
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
is this the fuel filter?....]
Thats the Bosch fuel pump. The deliberately non replaceable filter is inside the plastic just inside of where the #1 points.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #613
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Mark, some Chevron stations have it on a shelf in the same area as the oil and washer fluid and whatnot. Black bottle with a long neck, goes for about 12 bucks usually. Really is good stuff.
If you think a GS911 will help -you can borrow mine, just let me know.
If you really want to figure out between controller or pump you will have to bypass the controller or at least check it's output to the pump at the time when the bike fails to run. I have no wiring diagrams with which to assist you though.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #614
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
Mark, some Chevron stations have it on a shelf in the same area as the oil and washer fluid and whatnot. Black bottle with a long neck, goes for about 12 bucks usually. Really is good stuff.
If you think a GS911 will help -you can borrow mine, just let me know.
If you really want to figure out between controller or pump you will have to bypass the controller or at least check it's output to the pump at the time when the bike fails to run. I have no wiring diagrams with which to assist you though.
Thanks bayner. I looked in one chevron previously but didn't see any. I'll have to check more out.

Now I've got to check out that other thread and figure out how to flush the filter. Sounds like a good first step to me. Well second after the techron.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #615
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
FWIW my mother-in-law's 2008 F650 twin had stalling issues for years. Her husband's identical bike didn't. She would pull up to a light and the engine would die like she hit the kill switch, and it would always start right back up. They had it to the dealer many times and eventually it was determined that the stator was shorting out. It was replaced ($1000!) and the problem has never recurred once.

Just saying, don't make assumptions about where the problem is.