Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #616
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
.... it was determined that the stator was shorting out. It was replaced ($1000!) and the problem has never recurred once. Just saying, don't make assumptions about where the problem is.
Wow.... I'd like to understand that stator thing better...

Some folks back-flushing their permanent filter gotten loads of crap out of them which surprises me.... maybe ethanol is dissolving the tank...

I'm also surprised you guys up north can't buy Techron over the counter...but maybe you can indulge your bike with what I believe is BMW-labeled techron? The distinctive containers look very similar ...

BMW fuel system cleaner:
http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44455

Techron fuel system cleaner:
http://www.techron.com/techron-conce...s/Default.aspx
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:09 PM   #617
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by markymcd View Post
Thanks bayner. I looked in one chevron previously but didn't see any. I'll have to check more out.

Now I've got to check out that other thread and figure out how to flush the filter. Sounds like a good first step to me. Well second after the techron.
Check any local Napa or Lordco stores for SeaFoam as well, works very well to stabilize/clean fuel. It's cheaper in the US but my local Lordco carries it for $8-9 a bottle. Another one is Amsoil's Quickshot if you know anyone who is a dealer or Canadian Tire usually stocks some Amsoil stuff. Both of those work as well as Techron.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #618
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 882
All great info folks. I'm going to try and find the techron but if I can't find it will look for the alternate. Have to find the biggest Chevron in the area. Will be doing that and taking the fuel pump apart to back flush the filter with carb cleaner. Hopefully within the next week.

Also had a good conversation with the service manager at the Jeep dealership while my Jeep was being serviced. His thoughts seem to jive with all the stuff we've been saying here... oh, he owns a Yamaha F1. You, know, one of those japanese things that have less than half the problems of our 'rugged' adventure bikes.

I'll post what my results are.

cheers,
Mark
Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #619
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

UPDATE:

Chevron does not sell Techron anymore in Canada (conversation with Chevron manager). Any product that is seen on a shelf is strictly that it hasn't sold yet from inventory.

I have purchased the SeaFoam and have that in my tank currently. So far so good except for when I pulled a bit of a wheelie. the bike stalled out about 5 seconds later. Mental note: no more wheelies.

I also purchsed the BMW techron from the dealer and will be using that on the next tank after the seafoam has run through.

Also, I purchased an 1150gs fuel filter which I will install if there is no progress from the chemicals.

Then, after that, aftermarket fuel pump and remove injectors to be cleaned... then if no progress Fuel Pump Controller and then Fuel Pressure Sensor.

The upside off all of this is that I get to do more tinkering and learn more about the mechanics and diagnostics for the bike for future issues.

Mark
Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #620
gbtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Now 8000 km in mine stalls a lot too. I even have a couple on video on my YouTube :|. Often happens after a stint of highway when trying to filter to the front of a traffic light, that makes it annoying and dangerous too :|
gbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #621
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,850
Quote:
The upside off all of this is that I get to do more tinkering and learn more about the mechanics and diagnostics for the bike for future issues.Mark
Wow. You're just Silver Lining kinda guy. Must be the mushrooms on the pizza over there.

BTW, that's how I learned all about computers. 2 min. to F it, then 2 days to fix it!

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #622
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Wow. You're just Silver Lining kinda guy. Must be the mushrooms on the pizza over there.

BTW, that's how I learned all about computers. 2 min. to F it, then 2 days to fix it!
Go through enough shit and its either silver linings or rope with a loop on the end.

I've just gone through one tank with the sea foam and will do a tank with the BMW techron. After that I'm going to see if I can retrofit an 1150gs fuel filter in. If that works it could be a great solution for most folks with this issue. The 1150 filter is about $30. Pretty f'in good compared to 500 for the whole pump assy.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #623
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Go through enough shit and its either silver linings or rope with a loop on the end.

I've just gone through one tank with the sea foam and will do a tank with the BMW techron. After that I'm going to see if I can retrofit an 1150gs fuel filter in. If that works it could be a great solution for most folks with this issue. The 1150 filter is about $30. Pretty f'in good compared to 500 for the whole pump assy.
what's that 1150GS filter look like?

Not sure if you have it bookmarked or not, but we were kicking around other options here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834239
Old 03-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #624
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
what's that 1150GS filter look like?
It looks like the singing lady at the end of a game.

I've also considered this filter. Most other BMW bikes use this same one. Simple barb on both ends. I've changed out lots of them as per the schedule (30K kms I think) but never found one needing changing. The 650GS SINGLE fuel filter has a built in pressure regulator and return and we never changed it unless we had to since it was hugely expensive. If you manage to get the 1150 filter to work inside the tank then it would be like OEM and you could forget about it for years. I like the Holley setup, neat and tidy but lower filtering capacity. Great with a scheduled cleaning tho, minor trade-off.

I wonder if you could make an adapter to plug into the fuel tank flange (filter outlet hole) and have a regular barb on the other end. Like a 3/8 to 1/2 ratchet adapter. Cut the end off an old filter and solder it up. Just thinking out loud. Our bikes run fine and if it aint broke...........

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #625
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

just to confirm... took apart my fuel pump today and manage to take the fuel filter off and it's the same dimensions as the 1150 filter but unfortunately the 1150 is male/male and the 800 is male/female.

I think it's ridiculous that you can't buy the filter. it's not like it's welded onto the rest of the assembly. geez!!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #626
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
just to confirm... took apart my fuel pump today and manage to take the fuel filter off and it's the same dimensions as the 1150 filter but unfortunately the 1150 is male/male and the 800 is male/female.

I think it's ridiculous that you can't buy the filter. it's not like it's welded onto the rest of the assembly. geez!!
Too bad the aftermarket hasn't picked up on this. They could sell a lot of filters.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #627
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

I'm debating hacking off the male end of the 1150 filter and if it's a tight enough fit use some gasket seal.

I've ordered the aftermarket pump and will re-assess when i take it apart again.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #628
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Update

So, the techron seems to have just stirred up more shit than it was able to fix. Stalled out 5 times on a highway.

I ordered the aftermarket fuel pump from:

http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-892784...2006-2010.html

Delivery was prompt. Installed it last night. The hose that they supply is useless (too stiff and short) so make sure if you do this that your don't destroy your old hose (the hose between the pump and the filter). I much prefer their hose clamps than the non-reuseable pieces of crap that BMW uses. I swear they build things to fail.

One of my thoughts was to modify the 1150GS fuel filter which was male/male by hacking off the male top and but it won't work because the hole dimension that you end up with is too different and you need the recessed o-ring seal like the 800 filter has. Blows me away that you can't buy the fuel filter. Even the dealerships can't buy them. ridonkulous.

So, I hosed the inside of the existing filter with carb cleaner for a solid minute until all the black shit finally all came out.

Oh, I also re-used the BMW pre-pump sock instead of the HighFlow one. Seemed to fit much better.

This morning I bit the bullet and rode it to work which is 36 kilometers. No stalling. Didn't want to wave the flag yet because it sometimes doesn't stall on the way in. It was ALWAYS stalling on the way back. End of the day, time to go home. Made it all the way back and no stalling. There was a slight idle hiccup while at one light but my valves are in desperate need of adjusting so I didn't attribute that to anything.

Will ride the next couple of days too and we'll see if it's a fix. My guess that IF it's not fully fixed I'll have to get my injectors tested and cleaned but so far I think they're fine.

My 'moral of the story' for anyone who even thinks they're having issues. And everyone in the states who's dealing with shitty gas (nothing personal). Get a bottle of Techron from your dealer and use it once in a while before you get too gummed up. Preventative is always best.

And once it starts to show symptoms past what Techron can fix, take your fuel pump assembly apart and get the filter off and clean it. you'll have to take it completely off the assembly to do so. What you will need is a new hose clamp.

Lastly, if cleaning your filter doesn't do it, that might mean that your pump is pooched and you can get one for $69 from Highflow instead of paying around $500 for the whole assembly from BMW.

If anything else noteworthy happens, I'll post again. Good luck to all out there with similar issues.

Mark
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 AM   #629
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for that Mark!

Likewise blows my mind that we can't buy a replacement filter...

If you still have the old pump and don't have plans for it ...I have a suggestion

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872534
Old 03-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #630
markymcd
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Thanks for that Mark!

Likewise blows my mind that we can't buy a replacement filter...

If you still have the old pump and don't have plans for it ...I have a suggestion

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872534

already sacrificed it to the dumpster gods. felt good to do.

day 2 of riding today so that's 130 kilometers with no stalls.