Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #631
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
You can buy a whole case of techron at Costco for twenty something dollars.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 AM   #632
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorebutt View Post
You can buy a whole case of techron at Costco for twenty something dollars.
That would be awesome ... I'm on east coast and have never seen Techron in our Costco ... but I'll sure as hell be looking for it next time I go......

UPDATE:
They do have it (sometimes at least) in the North Carolina COSTCO stores, but it is the fuel INJECTOR cleaner, and not the fuel SYSTEM cleaner ... what's the difference ... well I found this explanation ...
now I'll have to do math and figure out what's best ..........

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ue#Post1285560

JRWooden screwed with this post 07-22-2013 at 05:45 AM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #633
jpr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I am just getting to this thread and by the the 10 front and 5 back pages that I have read, it is safe to assume no definite fix has been found?

I was debating buying a 2400 mile '09 F800GS and now I am somewhat scared.
'02 Kawasaki KX250 (Sold)
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #634
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr View Post
I am just getting to this thread and by the the 10 front and 5 back pages that I have read, it is safe to assume no definite fix has been found?

No problems with my Tiger 800XC.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #635
jpr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
No problems with my Tiger 800XC.
I love the tiger 800XC and quite frankly was my first choice until I called the insurance company and the difference in insurance is $550.

back to topic, i'd like to know if I am making a terrible mistake by venturing in to getting an 09.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 PM   #636
bmwgsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:

I had stalling issues... I think part of the cause was coming from the side stand switch. I unattanched it. I also have been running mid to high grade fuel... Conoco/Phillip 66/Chevron... and really have not had any more stalling issues. I just came back from riding close to a 6K trip and never stalled once on me.

I know the bike stalled on me right after I washed it. Right now, I think main issue is type of fuel and side stand switch.

Mine is an 2011.

I do not put Techron in.
bmwgsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #637
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,744
Quote:
i'd like to know if I am making a terrible mistake by venturing in to getting an 09.
We love our '09's. Name one mass produced complex object that doesn't have a few bad examples out there. Yes the modern BMW's don't like ethanol. There are solutions.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #638
jpr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
We love our '09's. Name one mass produced complex object that doesn't have a few bad examples out there. Yes the modern BMW's don't like ethanol. There are solutions.
what is scaring me off is the fact that for some reason, it seems that the '09s were the ones that suffered from

1. tank cracks
2. stalling issues
3. front and rear bearing/hub issues

I have not ruled it out though. just trying to get more accurate info through a ton of posts.

the community here is awesome and hopefully I will join with an adventure bike in the very near future.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #639
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,744
Understandable. Wish I'd done more research on this damn HP laptop before I bought it. Overheating POS.

The tanks continue to crack right up to the 2013 years. It's a white plastic tank with a black plastic covering. It's the black that cracks. Not heard of a single leaker yet, if they did then all bikes would be recalled. I bought an entire 2012 fuel tank assembly-pump, controller, everything for $200 shipped. There were two available. Cheap spares.

Stalling? Most don't but if you're in the US then use quality gas and/or techron.

It was the rear hub that had issues. First thing you can do after purchase is replace the bearings and check the hub size. You're saving thousands on a used bike so it's cheap peace of mind. At least you're aware of it and can address it. My 09 hub is fine. $20 for new bearings and good to go.

No bike is perfect but it seems I got a good one.

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #640
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,379
Quote:
The tanks continue to crack right up to the 2013 years. It's a white plastic tank with a black plastic covering. It's the black that cracks. Not heard of a single leaker yet, if they did then all bikes would be recalled. I bought an entire 2012 fuel tank assembly-pump, controller, everything for $200 shipped. There were two available. Cheap spares.

A spare part? Again?... Well on my round the world trip I'll definetly stop at your place to get all my parts exchanged ;)

I wanted to buy a 09 for a long time just to get a yellow one... There some issues out there but non of which are serious or unfixable. Just get the bike and be happy, we'll be happy to help you fixing it if you need to but don't be scared: a lot of happy riders are out there. I myself did 30000 kms on it since june 2012. I'm still in love with this bike and not a single issue (well just that damn clutch that didn't like diving but really not the bikes fault :o)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #641
jpr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Understandable. Wish I'd done more research on this damn HP laptop before I bought it. Overheating POS.

Stalling? Most don't but if you're in the US then use quality gas and/or techron.

It was the rear hub that had issues. First thing you can do after purchase is replace the bearings and check the hub size. You're saving thousands on a used bike so it's cheap peace of mind. At least you're aware of it and can address it. My 09 hub is fine. $20 for new bearings and good to go.

Thanks Reaver. Out of curiosity, do you take yours out on off road excursions that involve river crossings, mud holes, high heat/humidity?

I live in S. Florida so most of what I will encounter will be mud, sugar sand, lots of water, and high heat/humidity.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #642
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Like reaver said you have to buy a used bike with the plan to replace expendable items (bearings, fluids etc..) I haven't had any issue with my bike yet, well besides people backing into it

I have also not had any issue with fuel (ethanol) but I do use additives if it sits and I also use the BMW fuel system cleaner every oil change (was told to use it by a trusted 30+ yr BMW mech, heck he gave it to me for free).
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #643
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
I have also not had any issue with fuel (ethanol) but I do use additives if it sits and I also use the BMW fuel system cleaner every oil change (was told to use it by a trusted 30+ yr BMW mech, heck he gave it to me for free).
Same here no problem with ethanol but my bike never sits and every oil change I put some fuel system cleaner in (along with some oil addictive thingys for the engine). Gives me peace to my mind eventhough I doubt the effenciancy of it...
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:

Old 07-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #644
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

But anyway since the new fuel pumps are plastic (before part metal) shouldn't be that problem be gone? I mean the ethanol won't attack the plastic right?
Quote:

Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #645
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
But anyway since the new fuel pumps are plastic (before part metal) shouldn't be that problem be gone? I mean the ethanol won't attack the plastic right?
Have you got a picture of that new pump by chance?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote