Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,140

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:21 PM   #92
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,793
Was told by a BMW NA technical rep that water should not effect the air intakes even at highway speeds. I've been up to 70-80mph in the rain on mine with no stalling whatsoever. Must be another place letting water in.

That said, with these bikes being fuel injected, it's possible that there's an error within the system on some. When you open the throttle on a fuel injected bike, it lets more air in. This air passes over a mass oxygen sensor. The sensor reads the amount of oxygen flow, tells the ECU, which in turn adjusts the fuel pump intensity/fuel nozzle spray amount to match (based on engine load and some other things). Interesting, but complex enough that if there's a problem with one part it will effect the whole system.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:17 AM   #93
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,486
Your guy is wrong.

When it happened to me, it was pretty torrential, and only at highway speed.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #94
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
+1.

However, I can't say for certain that its because of water in the airbox...though RC's discovery of water is rather concerning either way. An airbox should not accumulate water. Period.

As far as the root cause, there seems to be some electronic connection or sensor that is affected by the conditions. Could be in the airbox...might not be. I don't *think* its as simple as a 'mechanical' issue of water in the intake charge.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #95
Singletrack_mind
Cave Man

Oddometer: 363
It may also be that we are talking about more than one type of problem. I know my engine quit running in bone dry conditions, and in fact I haven't ridden the thing in more than a heavy mist yet. (it's been a desperately dry winter here). That suggests that there's no way water was involved. I haven't even washed the bike yet. There was also no bad running before or after, and that account jibes with others I've read.

I suggest that there might really be a rain related problem which involves higher speeds and serious water, and then another separate problem characterized by sudden death when shutting the throttle on the way to a stop or when downshifting into a turn where no water is present.
Singletrack_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #96
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
Your guy is wrong.

He's not "my guy." He's the Midwest Regional Field Service Engineer. He is one of five Employed by BMW to cover the USA. Travels a lot. Sees these bikes day in and day out. Know the F800GS inside and out. The water accumulation is not from the snorkel intakes. (You will believe what you will of course.) I've been up to to 70-80mph in torrential rain at least a few times. No problems.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #97
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140
+1.

...As far as the root cause, there seems to be some electronic connection or sensor that is affected by the conditions. Could be in the airbox...might not be. I don't *think* its as simple as a 'mechanical' issue of water in the intake charge.
+1
Old 03-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #98
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Digging up an old thread...

So, the past few weeks its been pretty rainy/windy in the bay area. I've had on 5-6 occations where the bike (at freeway speeds) would lose a good 20-30% of the power...similar to what it would feel like if the timing suddenly went flat. This running condition would stay pretty much constant until the bike was turned off and let sit for a while. To date the bike has stalled out twice--once at zero speed, once at very slow speed, both instances in conjunction with the 'power problem' noted above. In situations where the bike didn't stall, it would idle low and rough. ALL of the above situations started in extremely wet conditions, traveling at freeway speeds.

Possibly related, possibly not, my low fuel light and my range are...uhh...broken. I ran out of gas ~3 miles after the low fuel light came on (with ~25 miles indicated range) a week and a half ago. I had 215 miles on the tank at the time, which does fall in line with the theoretical range of 4.2 gallons. The range and light had been spot on up to then, and I was pretty easy on that particular tank, so I thought I could make it the 3 miles to work and then fuel up around the corner for my trip home.

Since that time, my range has been consistently wrong. I'm fueling up with ~4.0 gallons around 195-205 miles (same as before the range/light went wonky), and my range says there's ~30-35 miles left.

I'll be taking it to the dealer soon...more to come.
Just to close the loop. When your bike actually did run out of gas did it feel like the "stalls like its running out of gas" problem?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #99
bxr140
Flame Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Just to close the loop. When your bike actually did run out of gas did it feel like the "stalls like its running out of gas" problem?
Yes. It was a typical "hey dumbass, you just ran out of gas" feeling. Chug, chug, chug...die.

I would always run my KLR to the reserve, and the GS running out of gas was pretty much the same...except for the push-my-bike-down-the-freeway part...
Old 03-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #100
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 920
As far as water getting into the air box from some where other than the air intakes, where would that be?

When my dealer removed my air box and discovered water in the bottom of it, it was moments after a hard rain. They let me watch as they took apart the assembly. My service manager even commented on the air intake track being a closed system and that my air filter was soaked. Bottom line is air or water cannot enter the intake other than from the front of the bike. I have ridden in 2 hard rains in the time since I have installed those air intake block-off plates and no/zero/nadda/zip problems with stalling.

I'm not saying this is for everyone, but it worked for me.

Also forgot to mention my carbon canister was full of water and that was replaced under warranty, but I will probably remove that soon.

Thanks
Glen
ROYAL COACHMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #101
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Why not just tweak the ducts ? looks easy enough. I'm certain the mill doesn't need the "ram air" effect. Make it faux air inlet like the tank.
Thinking out loud here.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #102
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

[quote=DockingPilot]Why not just tweak the ducts ? looks easy enough. I'm certain the mill doesn't need the "ram air" effect. Make it faux air inlet like the tank.
Thinking out loud here.[/quote

That is a good idea! I did the block-off plates just to confirm my service manager's theory. The intake tubes could be sealed completely from the front, then one could drill some 3/8" holes in the bottom of the tubes where they would be protected by the body work

p.s. Your RR's are some of best!

Glen
Old 03-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #103
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Thanks Glen, glad you enjoyed them.
Frank

Old 03-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #104
bxr140
Flame Bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL COACHMAN
As far as water getting into the air box from some where other than the air intakes, where would that be?
Nobody is (or, at least, I'm not) contesting that water can get in the airbox through the intake ducts.

I'm just not convinced that standing water in the airbox is actually the problem.

Somewhat releated, here's the "Intake Sound System"
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...49&hg=13&fg=20
Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #105
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Nobody is (or, at least, I'm not) contesting that water can get in the airbox through the intake ducts.

I'm just not convinced that standing water in the airbox is actually the problem.

Somewhat releated, here's the "Intake Sound System"
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...49&hg=13&fg=20
I somewhat understand your point, but how would you explain my F8 suddenly runs fine in the rain after installing the temporary fix I posted pic of?

In 3 major thunderstorms beginning in December of 2008 to the present, My
F8 has stalled aprox 15 times in a heavy downpour.

It did not stall during the last heavy rain about a week ago.

Glen