ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #1
cejnys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Clicking noise after oil change & valve adjustment

hey guys,

I have been searching here for the whole day but could not find any info related to my problem.....very close but not the same

Day ago I took my 2012 990 Adv with 54000km to KTM service for valve check, oil change etc. All valves were good so I was pleased. When I picked the bike and started the engine I noticed pretty loud and high ticking noise (not rattling)....frequency of ticking increased with revolutions. I am pretty confident that I would notice this noise when I took the bike to the KTM service. When I asked the mechanic his reply was that I need to change the cam chain in about 20000km. When trying to identify the noise it sounded like it was going from the rear cylinder only.

What I was reading here it sounds like it may be the CCT; but I do not understand why it would get so much worse after oil change?

Also how bad it has to go for the cam chain to be changed?

Thanks a lot for your input,

Rad

www.aroundsouthamerica.info
cejnys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #2
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 21,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by cejnys View Post
hey guys,

I have been searching here for the whole day but could not find any info related to my problem.....very close but not the same

Day ago I took my 2012 990 Adv with 54000km to KTM service for valve check, oil change etc. All valves were good so I was pleased. When I picked the bike and started the engine I noticed pretty loud and high ticking noise (not rattling)....frequency of ticking increased with revolutions. I am pretty confident that I would notice this noise when I took the bike to the KTM service. When I asked the mechanic his reply was that I need to change the cam chain in about 20000km. When trying to identify the noise it sounded like it was going from the rear cylinder only.

What I was reading here it sounds like it may be the CCT; but I do not understand why it would get so much worse after oil change?

Also how bad it has to go for the cam chain to be changed?

Thanks a lot for your input,

Rad
Your oil level is good?

I would be concerned as well in light of the valve check. I'm not near my repair manual, so won't make any suggestions on what to do- but hopefully someone will have some insight.
How are your exhaust seals? Sometimes, the one at the head, if worn, will make a similar ticking sound. Maybe they loosened up the pipe for some reason? At least check the torque. Good luck.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
advrockrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
That's what I was thinking, exhaust leak. I would try a new gasket for both pipes.
advrockrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:52 AM   #4
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 6,376
I'd check that the cams were put back in correctly if there were any shims changed.
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:42 AM   #5
cejnys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Your oil level is good?

I would be concerned as well in light of the valve check. I'm not near my repair manual, so won't make any suggestions on what to do- but hopefully someone will have some insight.
How are your exhaust seals? Sometimes, the one at the head, if worn, will make a similar ticking sound. Maybe they loosened up the pipe for some reason? At least check the torque. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrockrider View Post
That's what I was thinking, exhaust leak. I would try a new gasket for both pipes.
thanks for your fast response,

yeah the oil level is good, that was the first thing I checked

I will explore the exhaust leak route, it may be it; I had a problem with an exhaust clamp which got lose so they were touching this part of the bike. Not sure what exactly they were doing with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
I'd check that the cams were put back in correctly if there were any shims changed.
they told me that valves were good but it is worthy of checking if the exhaust is not the cause

Old 05-01-2015, 04:53 AM   #6
hutch990r
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
thanks for your fast response,

yeah the oil level is good, that was the first thing I checked

I will explore the exhaust leak route, it may be it; I had a problem with an exhaust clamp which got lose so they were touching this part of the bike. Not sure what exactly they were doing with it.

they told me that valves were good but it is worthy of checking if the exhaust is not the cause

When i first fired mine up after the valve check i had some clacking, that wAs for sure cam chain noise. after i got the hot oil level where it should be, it has gone away. Bike took over a 1/2 quart, ddint think i lost that much out of the valve covers but i guess i did.

i also flushed my waterpump and I resused both gaskets on the front pipe becuase no one had them in stock. the one on the head looked fine. but the one at the rear junction was junk but enough to get in there (after hours of fighting with it) and it seems to be sealed well. I am ording these gaskets and would like to redo it when they come in. does anyone have any tips for installing these gaskets??? shoudl you put the rear one in the muffler pipe then try to slide the header in??? or put it on the header and try to slide that into the muffler pipe?? it was a major PITA to get the gasket in there while keeping the pipe lined up.
hutch990r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 13,474
Quote:
When I asked the mechanic his reply was that I need to change the cam chain in about 20000km.

Motorcycle wrenching threads are a great place for me to confirm that 98% of "professional" mechanics are terrible and not to be trusted.

Did they just "check" the valves? You sure they didn't remove the cams and mess with anything?

Just an oil change wouldn't cause "ticking." At least not for more than a few seconds. And, low oil pressure causing cam chain noise would be more of a rattling or clacking (chain noise) than a "ticking" which i usually associate with valve noise.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:46 AM   #8
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 8,579
Last winter I bought a mint, low mile Ducati ST3 for a song because the "mechanic" at the dealership where the previous owner took it for an oil change somehow managed to mess up the cam timing on the rear cylinder resulting in a bent exhaust valve.

How do ya do that?
Old 05-06-2015, 03:32 AM   #9
cejnys OP
Gnarly Adventurer

so this is the latest update....

- checked all the exhaust connections and they are ok (just to be sure changed all seals)
- went to another KTM service to get second opinion and they also told me that the noise is cam chain, and right now they are trying to change CCT's to see whether it gets better...while I am typing this they came back that the noise is exactly the same

I am still having problem to accept the long cam chain version as the ticking noise is very repetitive and frequency of ticking increases/decreases by the engine revolutions very precisely.

I may be little bit paranoid by now; it also feels like the bike lost little bit of pull in low revs between 3500-5000 revs.....and vibrating little bit more.

I am going to ask them to check the valves again.....the most frustrating thing is that I cannot do it myself and pay KTM to sort this out...or better say "not sort it out"....if there is something wrong i want another KTM service to find it otherwise warranty would not cover it....and I have last month of warranty so best time to use it.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
chaddb9
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I'm having the exact same problem after a 2,000mile trip... Did you figure anything out?
chaddb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:15 AM   #11
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 4,176
Could it be low oil pressure?

A bad batch of OEM oil filters created problems. They were too restrictive. Created panic to owners. Maybe that is why you have the problem after an oil + filter change? Better have a look for clogged oil filter??
Bad filters #600.380.15.000 , good #613.380.15.100
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:33 PM   #12
chaddb9
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
so this is the latest update....

- checked all the exhaust connections and they are ok (just to be sure changed all seals)
- went to another KTM service to get second opinion and they also told me that the noise is cam chain, and right now they are trying to change CCT's to see whether it gets better...while I am typing this they came back that the noise is exactly the same

I am still having problem to accept the long cam chain version as the ticking noise is very repetitive and frequency of ticking increases/decreases by the engine revolutions very precisely.

I may be little bit paranoid by now; it also feels like the bike lost little bit of pull in low revs between 3500-5000 revs.....and vibrating little bit more.

I am going to ask them to check the valves again.....the most frustrating thing is that I cannot do it myself and pay KTM to sort this out...or better say "not sort it out"....if there is something wrong i want another KTM service to find it otherwise warranty would not cover it....and I have last month of warranty so best time to use it.
Did you figure it out?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
chaddb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
kzahel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I have nothing useful to offer to you but my heart goes out to you and hope that you find out where your clacking comes from and that you get it resolved without too much trouble
kzahel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM   #14
wsmc99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Does the noise go away once it's warmed up?

Doesn't make sense that the noise would appear if all that was done was an inspection and oil change.

Sounds like a valve clearance is too loose at the rear, which means they messed with it and got it wrong.

I had a loose tolerance that would tic until it got warmed up.
Re-set the tolerance, no more tic.
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote