ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #31
Dustodust
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake
I'd be nervous running a 1.60 on a big adventure... maybe its just psychological. Do you still run a 90 width tyre?
I had a sudden flat (blowout) at over 100mph with a D-606 on the stock 2.15.
the effect is a sudden pull to one side that you have to ride out until you can slow it down to 50mph , when I attempted to to correct it straight it felt like an emminent crash for sure, so I got back over it and control returned at the lower speed and I rode it another 30 miles at 50 moph before changing the tube
I would doubt that the narrower rim would be a disadvantage in this scenario. In fact it should be a benefit in that 1. the bead would hold better before allowing the tire to flop to one side causing the bike to pull to one side and 2. less friction contact of the tire with the road to build heat and blow out the tube
Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 PM   #32
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,455
I'm running a 1.6 A60 on my 990. It corners fine, no problems at hwy speeds with 606/608RR combo.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #33
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Yo tambien.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #34
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
Yes,,a 1.85'' is better than a 2.15'' and a 1.6'' is mo betta than both...

this question pops up perennially....

and the above is my final answer with a few caveats,,like those rims sizes work better but,,,,no buts!!!!,,,and,,,,

..and one must also take the brand,,,the model,, the terrain,,,the tire pressure,,,the velocity,,,the weight of bike ,, the riders skills and aesthetic requirements into consideration.

FYI,,,once upon a time we used many Sun rims successfully until better alloys came along...they were heavier like the Dirt Stars...but a softer alloy.
In recent years Buchananns who build these rims in their California facility decided to improve the quality..like aligning the two ends [that are butt welded together] for a change and making them rounder and lighter BWOE...they accomplished this by over-sizing the circumference and then machining the excess off in a lathe,,,voila a lighter,straighter rim BUT not as strong....a little extra beef does matter...thus i have not used or recommended a Sun rim in years for the dual sport scene.

FYI,,,,weight matters,,,not just the benefits of unsprung weight,,easier handling..thus i'd rather have a heavy n tuff rim over a lighter, soft alloyed one,,,and a light and tuff one over a heavy n tuff one

FYI,,,the off-road improvement in handling of the narrower rims is far greater than any diminishment of on road handling characteristics,,,,theoretically the wider rims would be better with lower profile/aspect ratio tires which need them to keep the sidewalls supported..

FYI,,,the Excel A-60 is clearly my favorite choice for strength/$$$ value.
unfortunately it is cursed with an obnoxious silver pinstripe etched full circle,,,there are folks that have returned the wheels and switched to other rims because it doesn't meet their aesthetic requirements...hey i'm with you..it takes an additional circa $100 to strip the color/ sand the stripe off /rebuff to a shine and re-anodize black
....and to add insult to injury,,,there are no matching rears available for 90% of the rims we need for your dual sport bikes....they only come in the standard du jour 1.85 &2.15x19 rears. excels link=
http://rkexcelamerica.com/mx_excel_rims.html

FYI,,truth be told not everyone rides like Pyndon and Neduro so have more options to choose from....which brings me to the point that there are some riders with the trickest suspensions and state of the art wheels/rims etc who simply plow through everything ,,,are cluelless to the art of modulating throttle control,,pulling on the handlebars and lofting the front end over that log or rock.....

FYI,,,some rims are better in muddy conditions....several years ago DID had rim with arounded profile that shed mud incredibly well,,,unfortunately it had a 6000 series alloy that was too soft for the serious off-roader...the dimpleless Sun and Excel rims collect les dirt and the A-60 has the next best mud slinging profile....mud buildup can seriously affect your handling

FYI,,,tire pressures......to avoid pinch flats the heavier the bike the more pressure is better circa 38psi+ for the big iron on road and 30psi off road,,,
i hear reports all the time that 20-26 psi is being used by some very respected sources...perhaps they can chime in what they use on what and where....
'nuff for now gotta head to work
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 02-17-2010 at 07:17 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:39 AM   #35
kennyd
kennyd

Oddometer: 231
dirt star comparison vs excel a 60

thanks for your insight woody! dirt star now offers LT-X lighter but tuff and ST-X 15% tuffer but a bit heavier. how do these compare with excel A-60? for strenght and weight? they both claim 7000 series aluminum. and which model is the 950 SE KTM dirt star OEM rim? LT-X or ST-X ?
kennyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #36
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
what's the haps with DID Dirt -Star rims????

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyd
thanks for your insight woody! dirt star now offers LT-X lighter but tuff and ST-X 15% tuffer but a bit heavier. how do these compare with excel A-60? for strenght and weight? they both claim 7000 series aluminum. and which model is the 950 SE KTM dirt star OEM rim? LT-X or ST-X ?
so i got all the gears at Daido moving to find out some concrete answers...regarding availability..rim weight/sizes/ models

FYI,,,the 1.85 x21 and 2.5 x18 used on the KTM 950SE are specialty items made for the manufacturer

FYI,,,the sizes for the dirt models are as follows:

1.6x21 LT-X in silver or black...
1.6x21 ST-X only in black

1.85x19 Lt-X in silver or black
1.85x19 ST-X only in black for 125cc mx/sx/

2.15x19 LT-X in silver or black for bigger ie over 200cc mx/sx
2.15x19 ST-X only in black

no 18'' available....

they are trying to find a chart that has a reference list for identifying what rim went to what model bike...i can just look at a rim and tell you pretty much what style hub /what indexing etc...that aparticular rim can be used on ..you guys

hence the need for the reference chart

will keep ya posted
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #37
Thor_with_the_KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
where in Europe ?

is there someone who can point me to a place in EUROPE where I can buy Excel Takasago A-60 1,6'x21 front rim for my ktm 990 adventure ?
Thor_with_the_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #38
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Do you want a whole wheel or just the rim?

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #39
Thor_with_the_KTM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I'm interested rim only
Thor_with_the_KTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #40
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
I bought an Excel 2.15x21 to replace the stocker. Rad wheel built it. They had to order the rim and then black anodize it themselves. I had a billet hub installed because I wanted to keep my other wheel for a knobby. For the road and all the weight I really like the 2.15 and the stock scorps seem to corner good; nice turn in.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote