ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Hard Panniers & Broken Legs: What's the deal?
I have personally seen (or had) broken legs due specifically to hard panniers. 24 8.99%
I have never seen (or had) this happen. 243 91.01%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
robhar54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Question Hard Panniers & Broken Legs: Myth or Reality?

(Moderators--I wasn't sure where this should go. Feel free to move it!)

Seems like every thread about aluminum panniers brings out at least one poster who warns us they'll break our legs if a beasty bike so equipped is taken onto any kind of serious off-road situation.

(Think Transamerica Trail in Colorado, Nevada or Oregon, Continental Divide Ride, Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route, as examples of routes, and Weestrom, F800GS, KTM 640 Adv, KLR650, as examples of beasts/big thumpers.)

Is this true?

Discuss.

Rob in Seattle
Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,556
unbroken Leg

It didn't take a broken leg to ween me off hard paniers. Falls caused by having my leg trapped under the panier were enough. The usual problem was footing with foward momentum. The panier would hit my leg just behind the knee, bend the leg causing loss of footing and then run over my bent leg trapping my downward pointing toes under the panier whilst bike & I fall to the ground.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
Cryoheart
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Yep. They break bones. Other hard things can too maybe! Had a very minor diversion from a gravel road, low speed, small embankment. What could have been a simple "off" turned out worse. Right foot caught between the embankment and my metal ammo-can-pannier previous owner had rigged. Ouch. Continued riding for three days, then took x-ray. Fractured middle metatarsal. No simple crack this here; little pointy bone ends with significant separation. Still limping and riding 18 months later. Been riding(lots) since 1962, so can't blame it on lack of experience. Maybe lack of attention! Ammo cans are now in the attic. DirtBagz are on the machine. Occurred on the TAT in TN. Good ride; bad choice in pannier type. My opinion is that soft bags are just a little more forgiving, cheaper to fix/replace, and they reduce risk of injury to some degree. Your mileage may vary. Got an intimate little x-ray but can't seem to figure out how to post it. Guess I'll just go ride.
Cryoheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Cryoheart
n00b

Oddometer: 6
......but them big shanny 'luminim cans is shore purdy....
Cryoheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #5
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,340
I have heard of and seen pics of broken legs due to simply footing the bike through mud or trying not to crash,immovable object(pannier)meets human body = broken parts.Soft luggage is way lighter and holds plenty for off road or any type of jaunt.Mounting luggage as high on the bike as possible does get it out of the way much better.Ted Simon describes this quite well in his book,paddling the bike through mud,leg gets caught on pannier,SNAP! He heard it go and was layed up in Africa for 6 weeks or so. Ive seen ADVers camping at DeathValley and camp is all set up so they go out for a ride on the gravel roads and rocky jeep trails,they leave their giganto luggage on cause they like the look I guess? Surely two huge boxes of stuff arent needed for a 4 hour ride.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
sawguard
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
On the other hand

I went down recently and my hard can ammo cases saved my leg.
Hit a dog, careened over onmy left side, ammo can hits the pavement first,
bike, instead of landing on my leg, lands on the ammo can, and slides away from me.

with plastic, or soft cases, the bike would have, I think, clunked down onto my left leg and drug me along with it as it slid across two lanes of traffic into a ditch.

In my experience the ammo cans did a good job.
sawguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,185
It happened to Ted Simon (Jupiters Travels) on his second round the world ride and it happened to adv's own "WorldRider" on his around the world trip. Both times these guys were in extremely muddy conditions and their leg got trapped under the pannier.
ShaftEd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
JimTC
dirt convert

Oddometer: 56
I did it while dabbing in soft sand, got tangled under gobi bag, went down with minor "avulsion" at the end of the fibula. Although more of a severe sprain, the avulsion was explained to me to be a break at the end of the bone.

I've also been saved by having the bike land on then bag instead of me and also think the a bag may have saved my other ankle and fibula from a severe spiral fracture if they had been on - who knows . . .

What I do knoiw is that for me to use my KTM 990 aa a dual sporting adventure touring bike I need and like to bags and the protection they provide the contents.

http://www.schiffergroup.com
JimTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
hiflynbrd
I know that shortcut

Oddometer: 90
I was hit by a guy taking the inside of the turn on a remote road in ID. When I realised he wasn't giving me any room I got out of the way of everything but his dually fender. Not a bad impact but it put me down immediately with my leg under a soft bag. The bike was an ST1100 so plenty heavy. Had this been a hard bag on a heavy bike like this one the leg would have been broken for sure. As it was, I got of with a few bruises. I'll stick with soft bags unless I specifically need the security of the hard ones. Then I'll be even more cautious.
04 Ducati 999S, 12 Versys, 08 Can-Am Spyder-SOLD, thank God, , 93 ST1100ABS 132K, 99 ST1100ABS project cafe racer, 93 KLR650, 04 XR650R street legal, 04 CRF500R street legal, 98 KTM 620 Supermoto street legal-SOLD at the suggestion of Honolulu PD, 04 DRZ400S, 82 Turbo Seca (x2), -placed in a good home, 04, ~78 Yambulzukisaki hybrid, and oh so many others
hiflynbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #10
robhar54 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Thanks heaps for the feedback everyone!

Perhaps the poll should have asked about "injury" rather than "broken leg."

My thought (based on heresay prior to this poll) has been to either a) get some Ortleib panniers to throw over the back of my bike or b) use the Wolfman Ridgeline I had on my Xchallenge for more challenging rides, but stick with the Metal Mules for the more road-oriented trips. (I frackin' paid enough for 'em, better get some use!) Trying to figure out where to draw the line.

I had a set of Touratech Zega bags on my R80G/S PD for six years (including a trip to Alaska) without incident, but I was pretty timid about where I went and how I rode.

Keep it comin'! Not so much "I heard about a guy once who..." but "on [insert terrain or ride] on my [insert bike model] I...."

Thanks!

Rob in Seattle
Old 01-04-2009, 11:08 AM   #11
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,396
It definitely happens. A friend of mine missed most of last summers riding because of an accident that would have been nothing if he had left the hard bags at home.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #12
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Yes panniers break legs. When I was in motor school, for law enforcement, they would yell at us for putting a foot down. Basically, if the bike is going down, keep your feet on the foot pegs and let it go down. Trying to put a foot down and saving it, may cause your leg to get sucked back under the pannier.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
On the other side, when I got hit by a lady blowing a stop sign she hit my hard cases and engine bars. There were marks on her bumper from both.

It is not possible to say, with a high degree of certainty, what didn't happen; however, I suspect that if I had not had hard things (cases and engine guard) on my bike she would have hit my leg instead.
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 07:23 PM   #14
Snr Moment
Unafarkler

Oddometer: 2,186
This is a subject that I've been giving a lot of thought to while debating about pulling the stock Hepco-Becker Journey bags off my Uly XT and replacing them with either Gobi's or aluminum panniers. They sit fairly high on the bike and really don't affect my lower legs. While the XT is not an "off road" bike, I will be riding dirt, gravel and double track and you never know what's around the next bend. Removing the bags prior to setting on these roads will not be an option as they are the routes to where I'll be going for the day/night/week.
I recently "test dropped" the bike parking it in the dealer's lot and the only damage to anything was a small scar on the right front bag and the bike stayed off my foot. Maybe I'll just keep things this way. Thanks for the info.

YAAK
Snr Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:35 AM   #15
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
(Moderators--I wasn't sure where this should go. Feel free to move it!)

Seems like every thread about aluminum panniers brings out at least one poster who warns us they'll break our legs if a beasty bike so equipped is taken onto any kind of serious off-road situation.

(Think Transamerica Trail in Colorado, Nevada or Oregon, Continental Divide Ride, Oregon Backcountry Discovery Route, as examples of routes, and Weestrom, F800GS, KTM 640 Adv, KLR650, as examples of beasts/big thumpers.)

Is this true?

Discuss.

Rob in Seattle
I asked about this in a pannier thing in another posting - got no answer. I wasn't a smart ass either. I wondered and figured I'd ask.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote