ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Hard Panniers & Broken Legs: What's the deal?
I have personally seen (or had) broken legs due specifically to hard panniers. 24 8.92%
I have never seen (or had) this happen. 245 91.08%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 AM   #16
Dorian
Xlg carbon footprint

Oddometer: 689
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400
Yes panniers break legs. When I was in motor school, for law enforcement, they would yell at us for putting a foot down. Basically, if the bike is going down, keep your feet on the foot pegs and let it go down. Trying to put a foot down and saving it, may cause your leg to get sucked back under the pannier.
Nice theory. Try telling that to your reflexes

www.psermc.org

Dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #17
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400
Yes panniers break legs. When I was in motor school, for law enforcement, they would yell at us for putting a foot down. Basically, if the bike is going down, keep your feet on the foot pegs and let it go down. Trying to put a foot down and saving it, may cause your leg to get sucked back under the pannier.
That sounds right to me. Dabbing breaks legs. I have HT aluminum panniers and haven't had any issues, but I think the next bike might get the Ortliebs if for no other reason than just to try something different. The bike is significantly less likely to go down if your feet are on the pegs.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #18
TonyA
beta tester

Oddometer: 1,159
When I brushed up against an embankment, I broke my leg on the mount for the BMW system case (at the passenger footpeg), so yeah, if the case was mounted at the time the outcome would have been the same. My foot got swept off the 1150 OEM peg, the bike was still moving, the foot snagged on the terrain, then the bike won the argument. The foot got bent down and back and snapped the fibula. You probly thought a GS was hard to pick up when both feet are working.

"Master and Commander", Patrick O'Brian
IBA 31991

TonyA screwed with this post 01-08-2009 at 11:27 AM
TonyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #19
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,535
Dabbing a foot down while getting loose I've been bit a few times

But in a lowside, (I've had two on pavement) the bags kept the bike off of me
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #20
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian
Nice theory. Try telling that to your reflexes
When we practice, we start on stripped down bikes. It the beginning, riders will always dab their foot. However, the more you think about it, and remember not to put your foot down, the easier it becomes. Everyday, whether it is riding my GS ot my RT-P, I remind myself to not put my foot down.
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #21
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,535
Standing on the pegs really helps. I'm amazed how much more in control my Vstrom feels if I get my ass off the seat. The front tire can slide, the rear can slide, but it just does not bother you like it does when you are sitting down
Old 01-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #22
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,368
I would add-

The size/shape/height of the bags will greatly influence the outcome

Jesse's are not varios......
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
though I have never seen or had a broken leg from a pannier I have had a foot get tweaked under one. It wasnt a fall it was just from dog peddling the bike through a rough section on a trip. My foot went back further then I intended and got stuck under the box...I was wearing Fox Forma Pro boots so they both helped protect me and at the same time made my foot stick worse. Now I use soft luggage...but more so because I like to travel light then because of the breakage issue...which is a possibility in some cases....no pun intended.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #24
Racer277
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_C
On the other side, when I got hit by a lady blowing a stop sign she hit my hard cases and engine bars. There were marks on her bumper from both.

It is not possible to say, with a high degree of certainty, what didn't happen; however, I suspect that if I had not had hard things (cases and engine guard) on my bike she would have hit my leg instead.
Considering both sides, this is what I'm focusing on.
On-road, vehicle to vehicle, I may be safer with hard bags.
We'll see...
Old 01-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #25
Ben-M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Motorcycles break legs when they fall on them too. We should have an option to buy a soft bike!
Ben-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #26
izzy's
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
hard panniers & broken legs

I think that you can for sure break a leg under a hard pannier. I think you can also kill yourself by riding with you eyes closed. I keep my eyes open at all times and only take my feet off the pegs if I am stopping. Riding many many miles off paved roads I have gone down many times. Sometimes many times in one day. I have NEVER had an injury when my feet have stayed on the pegs. There have been several times without thinking I would dabb my feet. The results have been: bruised toes, bruise the ball of my foot, two lost toe nails, sore ankle, sore knee and a bruised hip from jamming my leg. When that foot goes down in an emergency you have no time to be careful where to put it. My 1150 GSA is designed to go down without doing serious damage to it. Any damage ever done to my bike was less painful and less expensive than injury to my body. I stay on my pegs at any cost and if the bike is going down I assume the safest crash position and so far there have been no injuries to me. The panniers, crash bars and handle bars create a safe cavity for my legs. It seems like standing on the pegs = less crashes. A pannier cannot break a leg if you don't put your leg under them. My too scents. Izzy
izzy's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal
I would add-

As well as angle and position on the bike. I have seen some mounted so that if you put your foot down just behind the foot peg then you will get hit behind the knee, while others are mounted higher and further back as well as angled to give your legs more room.
A few weeks back I saw a guy topple off his bike at almost 0 km/h (with no panniers) and he dislocated his knee, so anything can happen.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:07 PM   #28
CL204
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Got a DR650 with Happy Trails panniers for longer camping trips and have smaller ammo cans for day rides.

Have not had a problem. I did dump the bike once loaded with the big panniers. The bike was held up by the panniers.

Was also rear ended in a chain reaction accident once. I was the head person. guy beind me got rear ended by an "inebreated aboriginal" and was pushed into me. The rear cross bar pannier mount on the bike was contacted with no damage to anything really. Had he not been there to take the impact though, panniers or not I would not be here today.
CL204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 PM   #29
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal
I would add-

I'd even go so far as to say that Varios are not Jesse's!

I don't think I'll have the same problem with my Varios, fortunately. They seem to mount fairly high on the bike.

Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:19 AM   #30
Mark II
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I've dropped bikes with hard panniers more than once and have never had an injury. Sure, I've had other injuries from going down, but none on a bike with hard panniers. Of course, as others have said, keeping the feet on the pegs sure helps.