ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #1
coderiver OP
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Looking for Trails / Fireroads near Richmond VA

Just started riding - looking for some easy trails or fire roads near Richmond VA. I have a V-Strom so not really into single path trails.
I have a lot of good maps for the trails out west in the National Forests - but I was wondering if there were any good trails closer to Richmond?
I noticed a lot of the paths underneath the power lines are now fenced off. Is this a new thing or just how it is once you get out of the country?
coderiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 13,021
Moved to Southeast Regional

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
ysrebob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
You,re really going to have to get out of town an hour or so to find much dirt of any sort. There are some very small patches of fire road and single track right in the city if you look hard enough. I lived in Richmond for 4 years and made a hobby of finding them. Eg out Chamberlain, right on Lakeside, right on Moss Side to the end gets you into a small patch of woods with a little bit of singletrack if memory serves. There are others... fun to suss out possibilities on Google maps and then ride to check... this is how I used to spend lunch breaks as a student at MCV, come back to class muddy and happy.

Virginia is an awesome state for road bikes, one of the very best, but sucks in two respects: not enough dirt, and draconian speed enforcement on pavement. Moving back to Old Dominion in a month from New Mexico (adv heaven) so wife can be close to family, and already mourning the loss of endless dirt to explore.
ysrebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:35 AM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,504
Not too much in the way of decent Vstrom dirt riding in and around Richmond. What secret dirt riding there is is more suitable to offroad bikes. Alhambra road near crab tree falls is some of the first real good and fun dirt and gravel there is. That's an hour and a half away though..

You should poke in to the Richmond thread, lots of knowledge over there.

Boon Booni screwed with this post 02-24-2015 at 10:47 AM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
phreakingeek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Never heard much about dirt roads in/around Richmond, but you arent too far from our favorite riding area in the George Washington National Forest. It's west of you and has about 100 miles of great gravel and dirt roads. If you keep watch on the Catherders thread, they will have some rides down in your area that you can join and try out those roads.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is online now   Reply With Quote