ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #7216
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 744
I thought that a local was trying to keep the location of the rock a secret to keep traffic down. I could remembering it wrong though. That said, I have wanted to go and see it. I heard that the climb to the rock is a little steep.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #7217
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,843
Video...

Not edited, but should give anyone interested enough info to know what to expect.

GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:18 PM   #7218
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,872
WOW...

what a great TAG. I believe I found it. But I dont know if I can find the cahones to take the baby beemer up there.

Maybe the Ural, a winch and a chain saw
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #7219
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Dog View Post
WOW...

what a great TAG. I believe I found it. But I dont know if I can find the cahones to take the baby beemer up there.

Maybe the Ural, a winch and a chain saw
There are two other ways it's possible to get there, but this is by far the shortest and easiest. This way will be difficult at best in a few more weeks after the woods start to green and thicken up. It's hard to see for me with no leaves and I've been there a few times. I highly suggest you walk it first. There is only one break in the rock ledge at the top and you have to go over there.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:33 AM   #7220
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
I LIKE IT.......It may be 2-up/KLR friendly, I definitely need to change my tires first though. After watching the video Melony said she'd walk up the hill.

If its still there Thursday, its OURS.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #7221
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
I thought that a local was trying to keep the location of the rock a secret to keep traffic down. I could remembering it wrong though. That said, I have wanted to go and see it. I heard that the climb to the rock is a little steep.
This is true, one of our own who rides orange was wanting to keep this location secret. It took a couple of PMs from me to him to get the location and he still was reluctant to tell me where it was. I do have the coordinates, but the FLHT won't make it to the rock. Now the Zuma on the other hand could scoot right in there.
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #7222
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1 View Post
.................the Zuma on the other hand could scoot right in there.
Now you might be able to carry it up there. but from the vid I am thinking it might be more difficult to actually ride it up there. However should you make the attempt, let me know so I can come along to take pictures.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #7223
wingridrs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
There are two other ways it's possible to get there, but this is by far the shortest and easiest. This way will be difficult at best in a few more weeks after the woods start to green and thicken up. It's hard to see for me with no leaves and I've been there a few times. I highly suggest you walk it first. There is only one break in the rock ledge at the top and you have to go over there.

Nice video... what kind of video camera are you using? I just got a GoPro, and getting use to it.
Members of Southern Cruisers Riding Club
wingridrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #7224
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingridrs View Post
Nice video... what kind of video camera are you using? I just got a GoPro, and getting use to it.
Older generation Contour helmet cam.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 AM   #7225
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

rules police

I know Al G is probably going to get the pivot rock tag tomorrow, but in the future just remember according to the rules:

No private property
and must be on the DDS scale
Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #7226
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
I know Al G is probably going to get the pivot rock tag tomorrow, but in the future just remember according to the rules:

No private property
and must be on the DDS scale
I went back to Page 1 and these are the only rules I saw:

Rules are easy...

#1 - Find the tag and reproduce the photo (as best as possible). The first person to post a found tag gets to place the next tag. If you get a tag, but somebody else posts their picture first, you lose.

#2 - Take the tag to a new location, get the photo and post it here (pre-staging is allowed, see rule #4). Give a few hints so the next person can figure out where the tag is located. Try to place the tags in interesting locations, maybe a bit of history that can be found down some nice twisties.

#3 - Tag must be findable. Dirt roads are allowed. Please use the Dirty-Diesel Scale (or DDS) when appropriate.

0= nice paved road
1= rough older paved road
2= maintained gravel road
3= maintained dirt road
4= unmaintained dirt or gravel road
5= double track jeep trail

#4 - As of 02/19/09, file photos are permitted for DROPPING a new tag. You still must ride to the tag to grab it. If using a file photo, the same bike that is used for grabbing the existing tag must be in the tag drop photo.

#5 - No whining. If you have a valid sugestion to improve the game, we can listen to that. If you just wanna bitch and moan because you got Bruce'd, do it elsewhere.

I didn't see any rule prohibiting a tag on private property. In fact, a good percentage of the tags here have been on private property. When was that rule added and where can it be found?

Rule 3 states "Tag must be findable." It seems to me posting a video of me actually riding to the tag location would meet that qualification. Are you saying you need more information to find it?

As far as the DDS Scale is concerned, Rule 3 directs you to "please use when appropriate" not "must be on DDS Scale" as you say. That is, unless some new set of rules have superceded these.

If so, please enlighten me. Otherwise, please see Rule 5.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:25 AM   #7227
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

GSBS you are correct! Guess I just wanted to piss and moan because I am stuck at work and can't claim this one on the zuma.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 AM   #7228
GSBS
FunHog

Quote:
GSBS you are correct! Guess I just wanted to piss and moan because I am stuck at work and can't claim this one on the zuma.
To clarify... my thinking on placing this tag was that the game has slowed down considerably in recent months and had gotten to the point where most tags were nothing more than googling the address of a beer garden, restaurant or coffee shop and riding there. And even at that few people were making an effort to claim tags that anyone could easily drive to in any vehicle.

I wanted to put a little of the "Adventure Rider" spirit back in my tag to make the ride to claim it worth the effort. Sometimes the best things in life are not the easiest ones to achieve. I was thinking if the tag were a little bit more challenging than booting down a kickstand in front of a cafe it might generate more interest in members looking for a little adventure in their effort.

Maybe we need a "Dual Sport Alabama Tag-o-Rama" game. Dunno.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 AM   #7229
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

It appears you missed Rule #5.

besides dispite have been the perpertrator of more than one "beer garden" tag, I find that varity is the spice of life. The rock is a great TAG.

beside, I bet the Zuma could make it if you really tried.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #7230
lstewart
Jus' Sayin'

Oddometer: 568
I haven't grabbed a tag in forever, but I have been tempted to make the 110 mile round trip for this one. Best tag in a while.