Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtBikeBNE
Rudi ...fascinating report...Love the Alps...I skied in Gstaad Switzerland back in 1989.It was very warm...Love your Pan European ST1100 I have an ST1100 we call them Pan American here...Look forward to more ride report from you!
Nice bike!

How many miles?

I've ridden now more than 260.000 km on den Pan!
The first one 135.500 km and the second one now more than 125.000 km on my own!

Best greatings and thanks for your response!
Rudi
motorradrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:53 PM   #17
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,851
Rudi mine is 1995 and has 46000 miles dont know what that is in kms' Your pics remind me of my ski trip to Gstaad. It was a very warm year and the best skiing was up on the glacier a 2 hour gondola ride up.Very steep skiing and my skis were too long Great fun!
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #18
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Day7:

The morning-sun tickled the face....as did some of the rain run-off poluted water out of the taps. Dietmar also started a major drying-session of his tent, Werner and Lothar deciding to pitch their own tents from now.
After breaking camp it’s off via Castellane to another highlight of the tour....the spectacular gorges of Grand Canyon du Verdon.
To me the Grand Canyon du Verdon and the Combe Laval turned out the absolute highlights of the whole trip.
There are 3 passes along the way... Col d’Ayen (1032m), Col de l’Olivier (711m) and the Col d’Illoire (964m).
Despite frequent traffic, the lap around the Canyon is without incidents and riding is a pleasure.

Grand Canyon du Verdon

motorradrudi screwed with this post 01-07-2009 at 10:31 PM
Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #19
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

motorradrudi screwed with this post 01-07-2009 at 10:32 PM
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #20
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

motorradrudi screwed with this post 01-07-2009 at 10:33 PM
Old 01-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #21
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Old 01-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #22
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Sospel is the day’s target. So... it’s through Comps-s-Artuby and the Col de Clavel (1060m) onto the D2 towards Vence.

at Gregolieres

Then via Grègolieres to the Col de Vence (963m) – a bikeroad par excellence. Good enough to make one turn back and do it again.
While easy to find the way from Vence to Carros (as we decided to bypass Nice) things got trickier along those tiny and tiniest roads to the Col de Braus. But well worth it, the roads are gems.
Via Aspremont, Tourrette-Levens and Contes it’s across the Col de Nice (412m) to l’Escarène at the bottom of hairpin-heaven, Col de Braus (1002m).

Col de Braus

Final pass of the day is the Col St. Jean (612m) into Sospel....with 10 Marks per bend today, we’d all be multi-millionaires tonight.

7. day routing:

To be continued

Best greatings
Rudi
Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 AM   #23
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Day8:

The Col du Pérus (654m) was followed by the Col de Brouis (879m), Then Saorge, the Gorges de Bergue and Gorges de Paganis and towards the Col de Tende (1871m).
Rather than the „new“ way through the tunnel, we decided on the old Tende-passroad with its 48 hairpins....and despite the gravel section on the south-ramp it’s an absolute MUST for any rider.

Col de Tende

Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 AM   #24
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Down the north-ramp into Italy (sealed) and a left turn just short of Borgo San Dalmazzo to Valdieri. Here a tiny road turns right to Festiona. As used by this year’s Giro D’Italia, the route speaks for itself, the tar painted like a graffiti-orgy.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:48 AM   #25
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

After lunch in Demonte it’s across the Col de Larche (or Col de la Maddalena) (1948m) back into France. 17km down the hill is a cut-across to the Col de Vars (2109m).

Col de Vars

Returning through Guillestre to Briancon, it’s at warp speed across the Col du Lauteret (2058m), Col du Galibier (2646m) and Col du Télégraphe (1566m) to St. Michel-de-Maurianne, looking for a camp site for the night.

Col du Galibier

Which proved a little difficult, as the first attempt finished with a place that was „on the nose“ due to broken plumbing, the 2. attempt revealed a beautiful, new installation which wasn’t quite completed and therefore still closed....
The final attempt saw us at Modane at the Tunnel du Frejus (the first ever railway-tunnel of the Alps). A nice spot, but too close to the railways and roads (speaker announcements and traffic-noise all through the night), not too loud, but persistent.
It also turned into a wet night, only the 2. time we’ve had rain (the 3. and last wet night was to be at Reit im Winkel). Next morning Werner and Lothar discover, that they’d put up tents a little hastily, resulting in small puddles. This time around I was lucky...

8. day routing:

To be continued!

With the best greatings
Rudi
Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 AM   #26
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,074
You're bringing back great memories (and it's only been a few months since my last trip).

I'd rate the Gorges de Daluis higher than Verdon - Verdon is larger, but Daluis is right there in your face every bit of the way.

Tende was a high point of my last ride - unpaved passes are getting harder and harder to find. I rode the Finestre a couple of years ago, but understand that it is now closed to motos.

Have you ridden the Tremalzo?
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #27
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
I'd rate the Gorges de Daluis higher than Verdon - Verdon is larger, but Daluis is right there in your face every bit of the way.
Well the Gorges de Daluis has a special flair! The red stones and the small tunnels are looking great - but the Grand Canyon is still my favourite, simply grandiose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ
Have you ridden the Tremalzo?
Yes, but not on this trip!
The Tremalzo is closed from Tignale! You can go only from the Ledro-valley - but the street is wonderful to drive! Every meter a lot of fun!

Best greatings
Rudi
Old 01-08-2009, 07:44 AM   #28
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Day9:

The „Dreamroads of the Alps’ continues...
Via Lanslebourg across the Col de l’Iseran, at 2764 m (the sign at the top proclaims 2770 m) the highest Pass of the Alps.. (The Col de la Bonette shows 2802 m, but the actual pass, Col de Restefond is a lot lower.)

Col de l’Iseran

Down into the Val d’Isère with it’s same-name Ski-resort and via Tignes onto the Petit Sankt-Bernhard (2188m) the border to Italy, leaving France after the last 6 days.
Down the Aosta valley to Aosta and up the Grand Sankt-Bernhard (2469 m) back into Switzerland. Towards Martigny, it’s a right turn across the Col des Planches (1411m) and Pas du Lein (1656m) to Saxon....despite some missing asphalt it’s a route well worth riding. The following stretch into Saxon is one of my favourites and I let rip, getting ahead a little, separating from the group, which pissed off Lothar somewhat.
(To vent his frustration, he made the Buell stand on it’s rear, nearly flipping it.)
Instead of turning up-river to Sion and Sierre to Brig, we turned left in town, crossed the main valley to Leytron and Ovronnaz to Grugnay.
Just short of town the day ended at a quiet camp site, which, above all, also turned out to be one of the cheapest @ 10 SFr/ head incl. Bike. Even the tent-pegs slipped into the soft ground easily and the restaurant nearby didn’t look too shabby either.
The evening revealed a significant loss of rubber on Lothar’s Buell and Dietmar’s BMW,
so the search for fresh hoops started by mobil-phone with a call to the ADAC/ Germany referring us to the Italian AutoClub in Milano...resulting in the info that only brand-dealers were applicable. No hope then to get things done in Tirano (see day11) We finally manged to find a tyre-dealer in Klagenfurt, expecting to be there on day14 , Monday 31.07.00.
Somewhat later than planned, but hopefully the tyres would last until then.

9 day routing:

Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #29
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

Day10:

First up the Rhone valley to Sion, where Dietmar swallowed hard at the prices for a new camping stove.
Steadily uphill to Anzère, but from here the road was closed, in spite of what the maps told us. No problems....a shortaround got us via Crans to Montana, the views into the Rhone Valley and across into the ice-capped 4000m+ mountains are stunning.

valley Rhone

Montana is a posh place and accordingly busy, time for the downhiller into Sierre and up-valley via Susten to Visp.
There’s another little gem lurking here, turning south into the Matter Valley.
Just past the long tunnel at the start there was only 2 of us....turned out, that Dietmar had received a call on the mobile-phone.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #30
motorradrudi OP
tourguide

By the way: If you are in this region, take a step to Zermatt! A very beautiful town and an wonderful landscape! We didn’t had the time, but I show you a few pictures from another holiday:

Gornergrat

Castor and Pollux

Matterhorn