Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
Da Bear
Twisted toy maker

Oddometer: 1,742
My sister had this real sleezy boyfriend, (the only kind she's ever had) he came by the house one day in 1971, on a Honda 750 Four. I talked him into giving me a ride, and I was hooked. We got about 10 miles from the house and we got pulled over. Turns out the scumbag stole the bike. I told the cops I could walk home, Got my first bike a few years later. I've had a fondness for Honda's since that first ride though.

Leave everything to Chance.....
Da Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #17
wasions
Hang 10

Oddometer: 379
Sometime around 1960 or so the family was visiting extended family in Pekin, Il, and my uncle came by on his Harley/Indian/something. He gave my mom a ride around the block, then a couple of the older kids. He then announced he was leaving. Things got a little hazy. (There were tears in my eyes.) Mom noticed and said, "Steve, you're just too little". I was. At eight or nine, I was the size of a typical 5 year old. Johnnie took the hint and said, "Maybe we can make this work". I sat on the tank and held onto his forearms. I'll never forget the feeling.
Then, when I was fourteen, my older brother rented a Suzuki 80cc street bike with a friend from a shop in Waukegan. I didn't get to ride, but I thought it was so cool and managed to pick up some brochures. Later, one of his friends, one of the lake surfers we hung with, gave me a ride on his 50cc Italian Harley.
It was four long years later, and more motorcycle magazines than I can count, that I finally purchased a bike. We had moved to Iowa City, Ia. The day after I graduated HS, in '69, my dad drove me to Cedar Rapids where I took posession of a brand new T120 Cat.
I don't own cruisers, even claim not to want one, but that Harley/Indian/something was definately my gateway drug.

'06 Tiger (HANG 10); '99 DR350
Bigzoner peg No. 123
"Keep Brotherhood 'Til Die"
wasions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #18
nada_scurb
Single Tracker

Oddometer: 43
1972 Sl70

Mine was a 1972 SL70. My dad was a mechanic and did some work for a guy and he paid him with the bike.

I remember driving it really fast over a hill all excited and had my dad come out and watch. He about came unglued when he saw me jumping the bike...I was hooked at that point.

I don't have a pic of mine, but here is one a guy online restored...looks just like I remembered it (only in better condition)!!

08 KTM 200 XC
06 Yamaha TTR 125
07 KTM Mini Adventure
02 KTM Super Senior
95 Yamaha PW 50 (for the kids)

Old 01-06-2009, 08:56 PM   #19
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,697
At 9 years old, the problem came early.
There is no end in sight....
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #20
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Yes, in a game of one-upmanship, my brother got a lightly used RM250 from the same Honda dealer. That thing was a freekin' beast with a powerband like an off-on switch. I could only touch on one side at a time...

I hit the on switch one day in fourth gear, long, long, long wheelie (which I was good at, or so I thought) and over cooked it a bit at about 50 mph. Over she went and when I stopped sliding, I realized I was going to be buying some new parts for my big bro. Pretzeled the handlebars and seriously creased the rear fender.

That thing was a total beast in the woods... Learned a lot about why enduro bikes were tuned differently than Moto Cross bikes...

After that hard lesson in used bike dealing I got an '83 RM250 that following summer (after another winter of saving). What a difference! That beast would come on the pipe and I would find myself bouncing along the ground on my ass while the bike ghost-rided away.[/quote]
Motopumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #21
ctslacker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
honda trail 50

the one with the curly bars i also did'nt know how the throttle worked either and took off hanging off the back but crashed it after going straight over a berm instead of around it, no damage and was hooked from there......
ctslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM   #22
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
I started with a Briggs and Stratton powered mini bike too. Had enough money saved up from raking lawns/ washing cars/ delivering papers etc. to buy a Puch moped brand new on my 15th birthday (only new vehicle I have ever had). You could ride a 50cc moped on the street when you were fifteen, but had to be seventeen for a motorcycle licence. That moped would do about 23 mph flat out, but I put 12K miles on it in two years. I had a Suzuki 250 two stroke already in the garage and an appointment to take the test for my M/C licence on my seventeenth birthday and I was off. That was back east where it got cold and snowy in winter, but I still never bought a car until I was 34 (got a cool '63 Falcon now though). I bought a '79 Truimph Bonneville Special with 1000 miles on it in '83. Still have that bike, though it hasn't run in years (gotta do something about that).
Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #23
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
I started with a Briggs and Stratton powered mini bike too. Had enough money saved up from raking lawns/ washing cars/ delivering papers etc. to buy a Puch moped brand new on my 15th birthday (only new vehicle I have ever had). You could ride a 50cc moped on the street when you were fifteen, but had to be seventeen for a motorcycle licence. That moped would do about 23 mph flat out, but I put 12K miles on it in two years. I had a Suzuki 250 two stroke already in the garage and an appointment to take the test for my M/C licence on my seventeenth birthday and I was off. That was back east where it got cold and snowy in winter, but I still never bought a car until I was 34 (got a cool '63 Falcon now though). I bought a '79 Truimph Bonneville Special with 1000 miles on it in '83. Still have that bike, though it hasn't run in years (gotta do something about that).
Dude, 12,000 miles at 23 mph, !
Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 AM   #24
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,513
The first bike I ever rode was a 1950's something Cushman scooter. Like this one but Red.

Then the second bike was this big Red Honda!

It has been a ride since then.

Cheers.
Marc
Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #25
kstoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53

This isn't it but it looked just like this only mine had a windshield on it. On the windshield there was a decal. If you looked at the front it was a nice lady in a swimsuit. On the driver side there was no swimsuit. I bought the bike anyway. I was 17.

The speedo didn't work. One day the maintenance man followed me on the way to work. When I got in he asked me if I knew how fast that I was going. No, I didn't, I was just cruising along. He said that I was going 70 and bought the bike on the spot. Not bad for a little 124cc Italian bike.
Gilera Allstate 124

???? how come I can't upload the stoopid picture? grrr

kstoo screwed with this post 01-07-2009 at 10:26 AM
kstoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #26
Mick Donovan
n00b

Oddometer: 6
A Solex moped that did all of 19 mph. One gear, centrifical clutch, 2-stroke.

Rode it all over NE Ohio. Still have it but also bought my dream bike about 10 years ago--a 67 Honda 305 scrambler. My goal this year is to put the tank on and get that sucker going.
Mick Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #27
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
'68 Bultaco Matador

I'd had several bikes before the Bultaco ... Honda 50, Vespa 150 and ridden my older brothers'
Yamaha 250 two stroke, but the Matador was the real Gateway bike.

First race bike
First dual sport
First commuter

It did it all back then .... but not without lots of rebuilds and tweaking to keep it going.

A great bike in every way!
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #28
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 634
I had a Trail 70 at the same time and lusted over this bike.......with a tank you could squeeze.....Put 5,000 miles on it in my back yard.

[/quote]
Gunslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #29
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 395
August 3rd, 1971, the day of my 9th birthday, my family went out to lunch after church. My dad said he needed to stop by Bert's Motorcycles (Azuza, CA. Still in business!) to pick up a part for his bike...

Normally while I waited for him to buy his parts, I would go over to the area where they had Yamaha Mini Enduros on the sales floor and dream. This time there was a strange plate on one of the bikes...

It took a little while to sink in but once it did, oh man, was I the happiest kid ever! Still one of the very coolest things Dad has ever done.

For a shy kid who wasn't good at sports and was perceived as a bit of a dork by other kids, the motorcycle was a huge ego booster. I learned to ride in a short time and found that I was naturally mechanically inclined.

One of my first times riding out at El Mirage. 10 years old. Notice the kickstand.

A few years later. Definitely ready for a bigger bike! Notice the shirt? Predicted my next motorcycle.

My Dad was a desert racer who raced throughout the 70's, mainly DRA events. He started racing with a Hodaka Ace 100. He eventually moved up to an OSSA Pioneer which turned out to be fortunate for my brother and I as we each got nice hand-me-down presents.

The Hodaka was what truly sealed the deal for me. I loved that bike immensely. No one had to tell me to maintain it because I loved working on it as much as riding it. We moved to a semi-rural area when I was 13 and I rode every day after school in the hills behind my house. My dad today still jokes about how fast I went through knobbies.

Now I ride this:

Ace100 screwed with this post 01-08-2009 at 08:30 AM
Ace100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:18 PM   #30
Ironheadziggy76
What the hell?

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by nada_scurb
Mine was a 1972 SL70. My dad was a mechanic and did some work for a guy and he paid him with the bike.

I remember driving it really fast over a hill all excited and had my dad come out and watch. He about came unglued when he saw me jumping the bike...I was hooked at that point.

I don't have a pic of mine, but here is one a guy online restored...looks just like I remembered it (only in better condition)!!

My second bike was identical to this one! I still have whats left of it. The first was a Honda Trail 50 that got traded in on the SL70.
Ironheadziggy76 is offline   Reply With Quote