User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #31
TownPump
coexista

Oddometer: 537

My first and my favorite.
A brand new 1979 Kawasaki KM100 dual sport with the rear lights and signals removed into a box.

Almost 9 thundering horses on that monster! Fully capable of exceeding 50mph

Yes Kawasaki made some yellow dirt bikes back in the day when Yamaha and Suzuki were the real yellow brands.

Thanks Dad!

TownPump screwed with this post 01-07-2009 at 03:38 PM
TownPump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #32
Uglyprimate
UglyPirate

Oddometer: 6,944

1985, just before HS graduation.

17 and heading for college in the fall.

Both parents said I wasn't taking the car. 1976 Firebird.

Dad mentioned maybe a small dirtbike in joking to upset my mother.

I presented him a motorcycle permit within the week.

Went to see a retired minister in town who reportedly had a small "moped" sized motorcycle for sale.

Scratch free bike, 197(?) Suzuki TC 125. Hardly any mileage, always garage kept. The old preacher only used it for brief shopping jaunts or just around town.

Dad rode a Zundapp in his youth, so he went first. I had no idea how to shift.

Dad went 150 feet down the gravel alley and turned around.

Promptly laid the bike over, front end washed out on him. Dented the tank on the left side.

Dad paid the FULL asking price of $300 on the spot, no questions asked.

I learned how to ride by riding it home that day. Took it to my girlfriends house to show it to her. Her dad came out and mentioned that the little bike would kill me in one of two ways.

I'd crash it doing something stupid

or

He'd catch his daughter riding on it and he'd shoot me off it!

Took the bike to college in the fall. Barely ever attended classes, but put a ton of miles on that old bike.

Sold it two years later for a $50 profit for a down payment on a car.

Still wish I had it.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #33
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjbmw
Do NOT laugh.......$140 if I recall right.

how could anyone laugh at this?? that thing is sweet! course i think i may have an unhealthy affinity for scooters...
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #34
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
My Grandpa taught my to ride on a early 60's Tote Gote.

2001 KTM 640 ADV....most versatile
1999 KTM 300 EXC....woods weapon
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #35
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,588
Thumb

My parents started me out before I was even born as Mom was riding while she was pregnant with me...no pic of her but Dad kept me on two wheels.

It was my cousin that got me riding a "real bike" on my own.

It wasn't long before I had my own "real" motorcycle.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #36
3or1
I hug trees.

Oddometer: 15
My gateway drugs were books. Beverly Clearey's "Mouse and the Motorcycle" and a Peanuts book I once had by Charles Schultz where Charlie Brown rode a dirt bike. These planted motorcycle seeds when I was very young.

Didn't try the drug until 1990 when I bought a 1982 Nighthawk 650. Instant addiction.

3or1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:57 AM   #37
Ganjora
class A bollockser

Oddometer: 146
In my final year of school ('91) i used my paper round money to buy a new to me Honda CR250. It was a works edition that had come out to South Africa to race in the 'Camel Supercross' which used to be held at Sun City. At the end of the series, the yank team sold/gave the now 'last season' bikes to the organisers/sponsors. A mate from school's dad was one of the sponsors. They had it for a while (not sure how long - the mate's dad rode it once and declared it unsafe after flipping it) before i bought it. It was one of the 'red rockets'. I broke it eventually, and it nearly broke me too, but I was hooked and have been ever since.
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #38
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
First bike I ever rode. It was my cousin's Mini Enduro. I was hooked!

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:10 PM   #39
out riding...

Oddometer: 22

Old XR500 bored out to 575cc's. Wasn't mine, but my best friends Dad's bike. He's always picking up some weird stuff in exchange for electrical services, and this one was sweet. I was in grade 12 and it was the first bike I ever rode. It was a blast. One of our other friends took off and smacked into a post and broke his finger, and to be honest, I have no idea how I never crashed the thing. We'd always ride it between the raspberry bushes where all the dirt was loose, that thing never had traction. How I didn't cartwheel into the bushes/posts, I have no idea. I've got a DR now

but Fred still has an old honda trail 125 that we still beat on from time to time. Yeah that's three idiots on a 125.
-46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:18 PM   #40
firetruckredbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
re: happy 9th birthday

Ace100 - that is one of the coolest stories I have heard, about your 9th birthday present. What a guy your Dad was to surprise you in such a fantastic way!
Amy
firetruckredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #41
Briar Rose
Fan of Mark_O!

Oddometer: 226
My story is a bit different from those I have read so far; bear with me for that, and the fact that the intro really does relate to the question --

A little over a year ago, 11yr old Boy says to Dad, "Dad, did you ever know someone for awhile, but only just notice them now?" Dad chuckles and says to Boy, "yes Boy, I know exactly what you mean."

A little over a year ago, I see Dad and Boy in mall: Dad introduces me to Boy, Dad and I share a hug (now described as "the hug heard round the world"). "Hmmmmm" I think to myself - "I have known Dad for sometime now, but today I notice he is a Hot Sexy Man!" (HSM)

A few weeks later, HSM pings me - "hey, look over here! I am a HSM and I ride!!" HSM and I begin to IM, HSM and I begin to meet for lunch, HSM and I begin to meet for drinks, HSM and I begin to officially date.

First date with HSM: Riding 2-up on his '05 Road Glide (see HSM on said bike below). Was it part of HSM's master plan to run out of gas on the first date?! I didn't initially use quotes around "run out of gas" because this was literally true and not some weird date maneuver! I am not sure I have laughed any harder than when we managed to splutter and drift into a gas station after coasting up/down a series of hills (it is hilly in the Finger Lakes Region of NY) en route to the A&W (root beer, burgers, fries, coleslaw).

[side note: When I ran into the gas station, everyone in the place started talking to me about riding!! It was April, and perhaps they were itchy to ride themselves, who knows, but the thing was, my (borrowed) helmet seemed to provide automatic entry into a new community!! I was a poser at that moment, but it felt so great to be welcomed so readily by folks I had never met before ]

So, smitten kitten? yes! complete fun on the back of the HD? totally! but had I actually passed through the "Gateway"....hmmm....perhaps....perhaps....let's continue on though...

After 1st ride, HSM seems to take stock of me (BR)....wonders if BR is actually OK with this riding thang or is she "just being nice" (i.e., trying to get in my jeans?!) BR thinks, "that was cool, but can we actually go faster?!??!" (and, "man, HSM looks GREAT in those jeans!")

Some date soon after, the ante goes up - faster ride with an increased lean angle on HSM's Suzuki DL650 VStrom K7 -- OK, now we are getting somewhere!!!! As with the short-term effects of cocaine (note: this is an academic and not personal reference!), a definite euphoria felt....I think the "Gateway" has been traversed....

Let's check a few more things though....just to make sure, shall we?

Checkpoint 1: mid-April 2008: HSM (now BF ) solicits a few folks to play hookie from work, go for a long ride instead: "BR? wanna play hookie with me and my riding friends?" SURE!! ride happens to include a stop at the Yammie shop -- HSM says: "Honey, we only have 12 bikes in the garage(see modest attempt to clean garage below)--I think there might be room to squeeze in another!" (A true test of love?! Yes, 'course! Not of our love for each other sillies! A love of BIKES!!!!) It was so, so sweet!! The stork brought us a brand new 2008 FJR1300A - it even smelled good too, just like a baby should! (And really, way better than a bong.)

Did I mention that the FJR only starts feeling great around 80mph, and that 150mph is really just your version of going fast?!

Checkpoint 2: early-June 2008: HSM solicits a few folks to play hookie from work, go to a couple of track days instead: "BR? wanna play hookie with me and my riding friends?" SURE!!! BR observes 1st Track Day (Shannonville, Ontario) and pupils dialate...HSM arranges for BR to ride 2-up with expert rider on track (see photo below)...drip, drip, drip -- might as well take my drug intravenously at this point. Next stop - Calabogie! WAHOO!

I honestly don't recall this, but it has been reported to me by several reputable sources that my immediate response after the 1st track ride was, "THAT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!!!"

OK readers (assuming you are still out there); if you have been carefully following along, you'll note that my addiction has developed while on the back of a bike...the question before me in late June became: "Do you want to RIDE?" and the answer was, "Of course silly! That is why I signed up for the MSF course to get my license!"

First though: a little practice on the dirt. Lucky for me, HSM maintains a secondary garage full of dirt bikes! He is very safety conscious, and knowing I had never piloted a bike before, starts me on Boy's XR70R, graduating me to the XR100R (see said bike below) -- WOOHOO! This is totally FUN!! [sidenote: the bloodletting through my nose, arrived at after completely disregarding HSM instructions to "STAY AWAY FROM THE DITCH!", was not a deterrent to future riding.]

Checkpoint 3: early July 2008: getting a bike of my own and riding it!! [Disclosure: I am 47yr old, 5' 6", previously athletic woman (retaining enough muscle memory to not be a blob however) who had about as much riding experience as you have read about - choosing the "right" 1st bike was important to me if I was to maintain my addiction, which as you fellow addicts know, is all-important )

After research and consideration, fantastic feedback and input from HSM and a little luck, I was able to procure the following:

a 2006 Suzuki GS500F YAH!!!! I love it, and it loves me back! (and there was room for it in the garage!)

Checkpoint 4: Hey HSM? Wanna play hookie with me and go for a ride!?!"

[Full Disclosure: HSM (now BF) posted the original thread, and we now live "happily ever after" with Boy, Older Boy, Older Girl and a garage full of BIKES!]

Briar Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #42
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
[quote=knybanjo]My parents started me out before I was even born as Mom was riding while she was pregnant with me...no pic of her but Dad kept me on two wheels.[quote]

Nobody can prove if it's true (there were drugs involved), but I have a friend who swears he was taken home from the hospital after being born, in the leather saddle bag of a rigid frame Harley. It would seem completely preposterous unless you knew this guy and his mom. It just might have happened. And it explains a lot about the guy.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #43
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
My first real motorcycle was a 1982 YZ80 that I bought for $40 and spent a winter rebuilding when I was 11yrs old.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #44
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
My first love:

1982 CB450T Hawk
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #45
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
One of these - 1966 Honda CL77 305 Scrambler:

I learned to ride on my friend Bruce's Honda S-65 and CB-160. Another friend named Scott had a Suzuki 50 and then stepped up to the 305. My dad didn't want me to get a motorcycle but I was riding Bruce and Scott's bikes every chance I got. When Scott bought a new Yamaha DT-1 in 1968 I bought his 305 for around $200 and smuggled it home. We had an outside shed that I used as a workshop and that my dad rarely went in. I was able to keep dad from finding out about the Honda for a couple of weeks. I knew he finally accepted that I was going to ride when he helped me fix the charging system on the Honda.
Solaros1 is online now   Reply With Quote