Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #61
seahorse100
SLUG

Oddometer: 412
RUPP SPRINT ! 3.5 HP OF FURY, WTH A SCRUB BRAKE.........
Old 01-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #62
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
My story's a little different than y'all's. Mom and Dad were SO dead set against motorcycles for some reason* that I never really got to go LOOK at one till one 4th of July picnic. We were out at a friend of a friend's horse farm where they were lettin kids ride a little Kaw. dirt bike thru one of the pastures. Minor instruction on clutch, gears, and brakes and awaaaaaaay I went.

Somehow, I'd grabbed the bars so that as I straightened my arms, I went faster. I know, but WTF?! this was my first ever ride on a MC alone. I was bouncin along thru the pasture going faster and faster and faster when the two neurons I have managed to connect twisting the throttle makes the bike go faster and twisting the OTHER way makes it go slower.

I managed to go slower before I kilt myself.

IIRC it skeered me so badly, I didn't go back for a second ride. Figgered I'd tempted fate enough for one day. It was ALL I needed to a. wreck thus preventing a MC EVER in my future and 2. having the 'rents find out duplicating the above outcome.

I hadta make due with bicycles till I got my first car. THEN I could go to the local MC dealer and drool. Saw a Yammie SRX-600 that I HAD to have, but didn't have enough $$. Working at McDonald's and/or Pizza Hut didn't pay enough to fix the car AND earn $$ for MCs.

FF many years later and my next younger brother buys some small Kaw cruiser to learn on with little impact from the 'rents.

FF a few years later when I'm 35 and Dad and little brother are riding from VA to see me in Sandy Eggo. Dad's best friend dies when they're in AZ, so he blasts back to VA to help out, leaving me Bessie the GL1200 Gold Wing to sell.

Rode that thing for 6mos with a for sale sign on it till some older Mexican gentleman gave me Benjamins for her.

Sold that, figgered out that I'd really rather be on two wheels and bought a BMW R1150RT. Yup! Nuthin like startin small!! 'Course, I was shopping for a Futura and this was the closest thing I could find with bags on it. Bags cause I was running mortgage paperwork around and needed some way to carry a briefcase.

Was surfing MRN when some banned individual came back and basically said 'screw you guys, I'm going to ADVRider.' So I followed him back over and have been here ever since.

*evidently Dad had a little Honda 400-ish CC bike to get back and forth to Jacksonville State (just north of Anniston, AL) but I have absolutely NO recollection of that. Maybe that's where it came from. To this DAY Mom is anti-MC

M
Old 01-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #63
HammerD0wn
Go cry me a river...

Oddometer: 101
Yamaha MR50
HammerD0wn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #64
TinyBear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
My story is really different.

Way back my Grand Father bought a 650 Triumph Bonnie and thus got my Mother hooked on bikes.

When she bought her bike in 1997 my older brother got his license to ride as well.

BUT me hell i hated the damn things all they did for me was take up room in MY garage making working on my truck that much harder. Hated em so much i never wanted to even try riding so other than a quick run around the house i never even sat on em.

Fast forward a few years and my once project truck was DONE and i was looking for the next project.

Well my Mother and Brother suggested i enter into this Mini Bike Build competition for a charity even coming up. And since i wanted a project and i did not have a lot of working room and my nephew wanted a bike i figured i could kill two birds with one stone and it would keep me busy till i found the next project car or truck.

So i entered the competition and with the help of my Brother we set off to build the bike to the T of the rules. Bike had to cost no more than $300 in parts, MUST use a lawnmower engine, and would have to be assembled on site in three hours with nothing but hand tools. once finished all bikes would line up for a 100' drag race and the winner gets the trophy and some tools. (Mine was slowest but unlike some it did not break and was assembled in 30minutes).

Anyways i had so much fun building the damn thing and even more riding it two weeks after the event i signed up for motorcycle training and got my lisence. Then i started taking my mothers bike (suzuki savage) to work twice a week. After three weeks of that i bought my first bike a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 650cc Classic (the bike my mom REALLY wanted but could not afford).

After two years on the V-Star i found out cruisers HURT to ride on longer trips so i bought my current V-Strom and wraped the keys and owner ship of my V-Star and gave em to my mother for cristmass.

Any ways heres some pics

THE MINI BIKE

My FIRST REAL BIKE

And a vid to prove that abortion of a mini bike did work.
TinyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:23 AM   #65
Motopumps OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
Cool!

The main tube on your "minibike" looks stressed!!!

You had a pretty fast move up the "drug" chain!

Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBear
My story is really different.

Way back my Grand Father bought a 650 Triumph Bonnie and thus got my Mother hooked on bikes.

When she bought her bike in 1997 my older brother got his license to ride as well.

BUT me hell i hated the damn things all they did for me was take up room in MY garage making working on my truck that much harder. Hated em so much i never wanted to even try riding so other than a quick run around the house i never even sat on em.

Fast forward a few years and my once project truck was DONE and i was looking for the next project.

Well my Mother and Brother suggested i enter into this Mini Bike Build competition for a charity even coming up. And since i wanted a project and i did not have a lot of working room and my nephew wanted a bike i figured i could kill two birds with one stone and it would keep me busy till i found the next project car or truck.

So i entered the competition and with the help of my Brother we set off to build the bike to the T of the rules. Bike had to cost no more than $300 in parts, MUST use a lawnmower engine, and would have to be assembled on site in three hours with nothing but hand tools. once finished all bikes would line up for a 100' drag race and the winner gets the trophy and some tools. (Mine was slowest but unlike some it did not break and was assembled in 30minutes).

Anyways i had so much fun building the damn thing and even more riding it two weeks after the event i signed up for motorcycle training and got my lisence. Then i started taking my mothers bike (suzuki savage) to work twice a week. After three weeks of that i bought my first bike a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 650cc Classic (the bike my mom REALLY wanted but could not afford).

After two years on the V-Star i found out cruisers HURT to ride on longer trips so i bought my current V-Strom and wraped the keys and owner ship of my V-Star and gave em to my mother for cristmass.

Any ways heres some pics

THE MINI BIKE

My FIRST REAL BIKE

And a vid to prove that abortion of a mini bike did work.
Motopumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:25 AM   #66
2degreesout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverguy9
From Mt. Lebanon (near St. Clair Hospital) until migrating to N. California in 1975. Rode at "the Flats" near Crafton, and later at the stripmines near Imperial, PA.

First car='61 (Willys) CJ-5 with Hurricane Four, 134.5 cu in F-head, intakes in the head, exhausts in the block.
2nd car='67 (Kaiser) CJ-5 with 225 cu in Buick 90 degree V6. Odd uneven firing order, but torquey and fast. Warn overdrive worked even in reverse.
PM sent
Old 01-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #67
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
First street bike was an '82 Honda CX500, about 10 years ago. I was in my mid-20's, returning to college for grad school, and had a bro-in-law that needed to sell his bike (new baby on the way). Didn't really think I wanted it, but figured what the heck!

(not mine, but close)

This soon led to a 1994 Honda VF750 Magna (totalled by left-turner), a 2001 Magna, then a 2002 CBR1100XX which I still own.

And then, my roommate went and bought a dual sport... KTM LC4

A few months later a bud loaned me his plated XR650R for a few weeks...
Spent a lot of time on the ground, or kick-starting it while flooded, LOL! No matter, when I could actually manage all that power I was having an absolute riot.

Then in October '08 I ended up w/ this free "rotting away in the corner of a barn" find: 1978 Honda XL250S. Adjusted the valves, changed the oil & plugs, threw some new tires on and have been having a blast ever since. Will eventually get a bigger DS with technological wizardry such as disc brakes and single rear shock, but I have a feeling the ol' XL will be around for a while...

ps - yeah, I took the ammo can off and replaced it with a soft toolbag!
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #68
Brucasso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
I had one of these two smokes, thought I died and went to heaven.

Ring da ding da ding ding ding ding...

Brucasso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #69
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
I started with one of these,

I payed $426.00 Canadian for it. My dad wouldn't let me have a bike so I hid it at my friends house and rode it every sunday for almost a year before he found out. I loved that bike. After I got outed as a motorcycle owner I ripped it apart every Friday night cleaned it and then took it out on Sundays and beat it. I ported and reed valved it myself, with a pencil grinder. I was 15. Then I got one of these.

I raced this is enduros and cross country races. I ported and reed valved this one too. I stuck a hooker header on it and it flew. I could run circles around my buddies elsinore. Then I got one of these.

and one of these,

which I got used for next to nothing. I rode the Canam but I liked my combat wombat more. I got rid of all of them and bought one of these.

which I rode till 1991 every sunday. That was such a great machine for everything. I raced it in Endurocross and crosscountry races. I trail rode it. It never let me down and went like hell. I was afraid of it for the first month I had it.

Now I am old and have one of these.

which I enjoy to no end
one regret I have is stopping riding for 18 years. what was I thinking?
I think pussy had something to do with it.
Anyway, that's my story
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:48 PM   #70
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
After the 305 Honda Scrambler I had a Yamaha DT-1 and then I bought my first new bike - a 1972-1/2 5-speed Ossa Pioneer - I still have it (who can get rid of their first new bike?) I found an old slide of me on my new wheels in 1972 the other evening so here it is:

Somehow I stopped crashing so much on this bike - nothing like a nice light 2-stroke with lots of torque.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #71
d_day_6
ADVrider poseur

Oddometer: 147
Out of my league!!

My gateway drug was an Indian Chief my neighbor and his 18 year old son were restoring in his shop. It was was 1964 or so, and I was 12 and would just sit and look at them transforming this old Chief into pristine piece of art. The week it was finished, the son of my neighbor stopped in my driveway to show the finished product. I was hooked. I saw him ride away with a look in his eye I never forgot. I begged my parents to let me buy a bike. I worked plenty of odd jobs around the neighborhood and was a fairly good saver. My mom was an ER nurse and said they were too dangerous. My father said only "hoods" had motorcycles. That summer my neighbor was killed on that Indian. He was 18. I didn't relent, and my parents said if I ever bought a bike I could never come home again while I owned it.
I vowed when I was 18 I would buy some kind of bike and let the chips fall where they may. I saved my ass off and worked hard. Viet Nam was in full swing and there was a good chance I'd be drafted, so I decided to head to college with the money I had saved.
I was active in HS sports and good enough to get a full football scholarship to UW Madison in 1970. I was ecstatic. Now I could still go to college and get a bike!! I loved the sound and looks of the Commandos and found a used 1968 Norton Commando. I had no riding experience, but was too dumb to realize that the Commando was way out of my league. My father was furious, kicked me out of the house and I headed to school. My parents got over it and we made ammends. I survived the Norton, owned it for 2 years and sold it. I never got a pic of it and wish I had. Been riding ever since...38 years and counting.
d_day_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #72
majorfaller
Old and slow

Oddometer: 9
My gateway drug was a 1967 Bonneville that my sister's boyfriend had. It was the most beautiful think I had seen. This was slightly before I noticed girls. My first bike was a 1959 Allstate 59 scooter with 3 speeds on the left handgrip and a sticking throttle cable. That was 31 bikes ago.
majorfaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #73
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
My introduction to my Gateway Drug was my Dad’s fault.
Here’s the story!
In Belgium toward the end of the War, Dad and a Buddy somehow in a card game won a Cushman Scooter off some guys with the 101st . The details are a little sketchy as you can surmise. I heard that Dad's friend cheated at cards.

The story he tells is that they added a back seat to it and rode it all over Belgium and surrounding Countries they could get to safely.
Anyway, Dad was hooked on two wheel transportation in Europe.
So after the War he came home and married my Mom. (Their first date was done on a bet. Mom was, shall we say virtuous, and Dads’ buds bet him he couldn’t get a date with her cause she wouldn’t date soldiers.)
A couple years of marriage and they started having kids.
I am the second son of three and my earliest memories are of me setting on Dad’s scooters parked out at the curb. I loved to play Varoooom!
Here's some example pictures of Scootes I've found on the Net!

He was a lot like most of us. He built up a collection of scooters.

My brother and I threw the morning paper on a scooter just like the one above on the Military Base where we lived. We had 13 at one time while being stationed in Puerto Rico.
Then on day in the early 60’s Dad went TDY to Europe again and fell in love with Italian Scooters. (He liked them because he could ride to work and not get his uniform pants dirty.)
It wasn’t long before he started selling off all the “Stomp and Go Cushman’s and started collecting these.

Then these!

My Brother and I took a lot of flack back then for riding scooters, but we didn’t care. They were so much fun. And Dad let us ride them all we wanted. We even had one with a Hack. Damn, that one made up popular at school.
I finally buckled into being trendy and started buying Hondas. Then Suzuki’s and now I ride a Kawasaki KLR. I’m seriously considering buying a Burgman to get in touch with my roots again. I should add in here that I too have fallen in love with an Italian. Not only is my wife Italian, but I am restoring a E900 Ducati Elefant I picked up last year. And in true Italian fashion, it will be a Racy Red Sexy Beast!
I’ll stop here because this was my story about my Gateway!

Footnote: Dad died in 2000. He kept saying in the Hospital that as soon as he got out he was going down the Honda Dealer and was gonna buy a Helix and take off for a ride. (Mom had already passed and he decided, why not!)
Sadly, he never got a chance to do that. I was shopping for another 150cc Lambretta like the red one above for his birthday when he suffered the first stroke.

Curtis in Texas

Curtis in Texas screwed with this post 01-18-2009 at 05:38 PM
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #74
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,619
1979 Yamaha MX-100

14 years old,I remember looking at the ad in Cycle World over and over.

Best workout ever,lost all my" baby fat"

All this later lead to a racing career.

And now a ADV'er

enduro0125 screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 07:42 PM
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 PM   #75
canadasax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Wow, some of those pictures bring back a lot of memories.
This was my first "dual-sport" bike.
Suzuki TC 120 cat.

Jump ahead 13 or 14 years and here is another "dual-sport" bike.
Honda XL 500

Jump ahead another 22 or 23 years. Still on a "Dual-sport" bike.
KTM 950 Adv.

canadasax is offline   Reply With Quote