Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2009, 04:17 AM   #76
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Mine was a 1972 Yamaha Mini-Enduro. Yellow with black pinstripes on the tank. 60cc 2 stroke, 4 speed manual tranny. Dad bought it for me brand new, dealer "taught me" to ride it in the gravel parking lot behind the store. I loved that bike and rode it every day. There were woods behind our house that had an extensive network of trails that went on for many, many miles. My friends all had dirt bikes and we would ride all day, rarely ever seeing another human being. Those were great, carefree times, perhaps some of the most fun times I have ever had.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:29 AM   #77
wasions
Hang 10

Oddometer: 381
Hah! Around that time I was living in Iowa City, IA, and also riding my (yellow) TC120 in plaid elephant bells.

'06 Tiger (HANG 10); '99 DR350
Bigzoner peg No. 123
"Keep Brotherhood 'Til Die"
wasions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #78
LastDance
Vicarious no more.

Oddometer: 36
For me it was a Harley Z90 that had larger tires swapped out and no back fender. I was 13 and our house backed up to some woods with miles of trails. Every day after school I would fuel up and not get back home until dark.

The first time I had it air-born, I found out the lower forks were not properly attached and I lost the front end mid-air.

Honda 50 I believe circa 1968

Harley Z90 circa 1976

Honda CB350 circa 1981

Kawasaki GPZ550 circa 1982
2003 HD FLHRCI
2002 Honda XR400R

LastDance screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 09:19 AM
LastDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #79
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,718
Dad was a doctor, specializing in head, neck and back injury patients. He had many stories to tell of severely injured people from "murdercycles".

At some weak moment, he and a staffmember split the cost of a CB160 scrambler- I was about 9 and instantly an addict. I spent hours sitting on that bike in the garage going on adventures. But only got to ride on the back a few times. Dad sold the bike shortly. But the seed was planted.

Then my buddies had Honda mini-trails, and I'd sneak rides without my parent's knowledge. For a while.

Then came the 3wheeler. Had a BLAST in the dunes for a few years. Some of them even while sober.

Then a brother-in-law had a Honda Reflex 200 that I'd ride when visiting him in Oregon.

Then came the hard drugs: A BMW K100. Once I got a taste of sport touring, that was it. Ended up throwing that bike off the pavement into a canyon- watching it cartwheeling over and over, throwing parts and precious farkles everywhere.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #80
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,869
Thumb

I'm unclear as to what the "first" taste was, but as a wee babe, I was ridden around the block at almost the edge of a small Iowa town on a Harley Davidson. Maybe that was the first whiff...
Later "contacts", with Sears mini-bikes, Vespas, Honda mini-trails, a CT90, G50 Matchless, and a Triumph Bonneville... Then a real up to my elbows dip into the stash.

My to-be father in-law was rebuilding a 1966 Norton Atlas. Many of those early dates with my now, wife of 35+ years were me in the basement with her dad talking bikes. It didn't help with the rising addiction that I worked with a guy who had ridden from the time he could stand.
We devoured all motorcycle magazines of the time, (early 70's). I had the money, having been told by both parents that I would never own a motorcycle and live at home. I prepared to move out. I'd found an apartment and when my dad got wind of that, said it wasn't an issue, (I was 19, going to college and working full time as a machinist, so money wasn't a problem. Though neither was lots of free time.)...

Anyway after going off looking for a new R90S, and finding none, I landed on a 1974 CB360, with no license or real riding instruction, only a couple of years of near constant reading, listening and questioning. Salesman rode the bike to my apartment building and two days later, after being forced to work 14 hour days and torrential rain, Sunday morning dawned bright and clear. Clear with damp streets. I donned my gear, (helmet, ropers, cowboy boots, and jean jacket, jeans, and I was off to teach myself.
That morning I learned to full lock figure eight, slalom, stop with only the front brake, and lock the front and rear wheels without falling. I figured I was ready for my test Monday morning.

Ran out of gas during the tests figure 8 and stalled the bike. Pushed it over to a gas station and filled the tank, learning the valuable lesson on which side was reserve for the fuel tap.

Back to the test, where I past easily with the examiner asking how long I'd been riding. he was surprised to learn the answer...

1974 CB 360, just posing I didn't ride like this. OK, I'd add a helmet jacket and gloves. We were young and immortal then.

Six months later December of 1974, in-between snow showers, I trade the Honda for my dream bike,
1974 Norton Interstate, European model, (remember that Atlas being re-built?) A friend and I on top of Loveland Pass.

Rode this bike all over the state and some of the Southwest, usually in July of course to experience the full effect of the deserts.

Later in California some cafe parts were added and the shifter and brakes flopped to not conflict with the BMW that had been added by now, having gone through a Ducati single along the way,

More bikes, lots more miles, a stint or two as motorcycle mechanic, and finally ending up in a cloth covered cube pulled back and forth from work to home and back again on my now mostly trusty, steed,

Along the way there have been sportbikes fully faired touring rigs, sidecars, speeding tickets, crashes, trackdays and wheelies. I've made a lot of good life long friends because we met forst aboard motorcycles. I' ve lost a few friends too, but living long that is bound to happen one way or another.
All in all, I would not trade the experience of motorcycling for any other.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:46 AM   #81
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,302
Good thread. I was hooked after riding pillion on some scuzzy carney tatoo adorned types Triumph Scrambler of some sort. I burned my cut off Levi's wearing leg getting off and didn't even mind. My friends and I had been covertly messing with the Taco 22, 44 mini-bikes but this sent it in the right direction. Led to the first bike, '66 Honda S90. I wish I had the foresight for pictures back then, I didn't start taking bike related photos until the early 90's.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #82
BigKev72
ANZAC

Oddometer: 827
Thumb

1976 Yamaha DT-250. I pulled it out of the Goulburn river in Victoria, Australia. After a good friend of mine and i ripped it to shreds, cleaned it up and put it back together I rode it around the bush trails for five years. Best times ever.

1992 BMW K75RT (sold)
1988 R80GSPD (sold)
1990 Suzuki RGV500 (sold cos I was scared)
1990 Suzuki GSXR1100 (sold to buy the RGV)
1986 Suzuki GSX550 ESD (ridden into the ground)
1987 Suzuki GN250 (gave away)
1986 Suzuki TS250 (sold)
1976 Yamaha DT250 (sold)
BigKev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #83
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
On dirt;

We went camping with other families when I was little. One of the guys had a trail 55 Honda on the bumper of his camper and within a year all of the dads had one. My dad bought a 67 Honda CT90 (yellow) and I read the manual cover to cover and would sit on the bike at every opportunity. I didn't really like riding as a passenger and eventually my dad let me ride it alone. It was fun, but I was reading every motorcycle book and magazine I could lay my hands on, and I thought the CT90 was a dog (a good dog though). I worked after school at my dad's gas station and saved my money. In 1972 I bought a 71 Suzuki TS90 for $150 from a kid who was moving up to a TM 400. I got the better end of that deal! My friends all had Yamaha 125's (except Don who bought that TM 400 for a song with "minor crash damage")and we rode all over, up, and down Soledad Canyon and later at Indian Dunes on the track. Sue Fish (womens national champ 1974) roosted the crap out of me, but later told me that she was impressed by the way I tried to stuff a wheel under her by holding the throttle wide open all of the time, only controlling my speed by shifting!

*A footnote about Don, he became one of the smoothest riders I have ever met. What doesn't kill ya (God knows it tried!), makes ya stronger!

On the street;

I worked for a bit at Suzuki City in Inglewood and was the happiest teenager on the planet because I was getting paid $1.65 an hour as gofer/flunky and to uncrate and break in the new bikes. My first ride on a Norton Commando was way better than my first sexual encounter. This last summer I finally became the owner of a 750 Commando... well all of the parts anyway!

lemieuxmc screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 12:10 PM
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:58 PM   #84
theWolfTamer
Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer: 395
My dad gave me my first hit on the gas tank of his Yamaha TX. It was a ride to the gas station. The only thing I remember about that bike was that it was orange and that it had high handlebars. I've recently seen some pics of it and the handlebars aren't that high.

Not Dad's bike, but one like it:

In my teens, a friend of my sister's had a Honda Nighthawk and I went for a couple of rides on the back of that. By then, I already knew I wanted a bike. The first bike I lusted for was a red 1993 Suzuki Bandit 400. I didn't get it.

My mother didn't like the idea of her baby girl getting a bike and never helped me like she did when I bought my Jeep and later my Mustang. I was not deterred. I'd taken the MSF course earlier in the year and was finally financially able to buy a bike. None of my friends were into motorcycles and half thought I was crazy to even want one.

I was 30 when I got my first bike, a 1993 Suzuki VX800 that caught my eye as it sat in dappled sunlight outside a used bike dealer.

Meet Sam:

Shortly after I bought the bike, I moved from Georgia to Southern California. I put about 30,000 miles on it in the first 18 months, including a cross country trip to the Women On Wheels Ride In in 2004. By the spring of 2005, I was back in Georgia suffering from a lupus flare in my brain. My bike remained in SoCal on a friend's back porch until I recovered enough to retrieve it.

I had no mechanical skills so I took it to a local bike shop for service. VX's have some of the most finicky carbs and when they are not right the bike runs like crap. The shop screwed up the carbs worse than they already were. I'd been off the bike for about a year and was getting really antzy.

Toward the end of the summer of 2007, I bought my current bike, a 2005 Yamaha FZ1.

Baby:

theWolfTamer screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 05:03 PM Reason: Add pic of a bike like my Dad's
theWolfTamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #85
2slow
Road toad

Oddometer: 456
1969 Kawasaki 500 H1

I had ridden a few small bikes and decided to buy one. The latest issue of Cycle World said the H1 was like a race bike with lights so I had to test ride one. After a short test ride that included unintentional wheelies in the first three gears and a quick run to 100 mph (legal in Nevada in 1969) I couldn't wait to get back to Vegas Cycle and sign the papers. Sold it in 1972 with over 50,000 miles. It was the best and worst bike I've ever owned.
2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #86
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Don't really remember what kind of 2 stroke it was but, it sure as shit burned Castor Oil and I've been hooked on it since then.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #87
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
I am still in he early experimental stage of my addiction (aka total newb), only hooked since Jan. 09. Prior to that i have been a car guy, owning many honda civics, a vw or two, autoxing, rallyx, the whole bit. I rode a quad a little back in highschool but nothing earthshattering. Then i went riding with a ktm guy and a borrowed xr85:

Then xr100, then mod'd crf230f. Thats when the addiction became terminal. after breaking the crf cam chain, i bought a CB125s to hold me over:

Then i moved to SD and the stable looks like this:

I can only expect it to get worse from here
Old 11-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #88
IDRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
My gateway was a friends Honda CR125R, which I rode without my mom knowing. back then she would have kicked my ass.

My dad also had a CB350, then in 78 he bought the CB750-4. I loved riding on the back of the bike as we traveled through New England.

Skip forward 22 years, and I pick up a 1993 ZX-11. Damn that bike was a handful, and a blast to ride.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #89
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,203
In the late 60's and early 70's, when I was a kid, we used to ride around on our banana seat bicycles acting like we were on dirt bikes. We made bicycle dirt bike courses in back yards and all over local woods. We used to ride to our local shop and dream about bikes. My parents told me I couldn't have one. But, on my 12th birthday we had a party at my grandparents house out in the country. As we drove up there was a dirtbike in the driveway with a bow on it. I was blown away and forever hooked: A 1972 Suzuki 50 - TS I think. It was a 50 but was street legal and built kind of like a bigger bike. Eventually took off the mirrors, lights and hack sawed off the baffle (key mods in those days )

Then in 1974 I got a hand me down bike from my cousin - like this one. 1972 Yamaha 125 enduro. My cousin had added a Basani pipe and Boysen reeds. I added a Preston Petty front fender - which was considered trick back then. We used to ride at Sweetwater Creek, which is now closed. Also, Raced it in a few Hare Scrambles in Franklin Ga, and raced around Holiday Downs when I was 15 and 16. My favorite thing was just going exploring in the woods. Loved that bike.

Those orange bikes - maybe why I'm partial to KTM today?

mikem9 screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 08:30 PM
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:10 PM   #90
uhoh7
wingnut killer

Oddometer: 862
Sold a stuben saddle and told my parents I was just fixing it......

next...

lost 70% of my liver and 25% of one kidney on this one

went into the hospital 175 lbs, came out at 140 six weeks later and bought this to get in shape for 400 new.

then this for 2.5k new, put 50,000 on it in three years

Raced the RM a few times and lost interest a few years later till 2000

Back at it now:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524859

uhoh7 screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 09:23 PM
uhoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote