ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2009, 06:53 AM   #16
mel brooks
Dirt Chick

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver
PM sent.

Rear suspension linkage is on the way for the beast. Bank is busted now. Time for some side jobs and OT to help fund the rest. Wish me luck it has to be done by April 4th.

Ray

Why don't you post up what other stuff you need? Like trailboss, a lot of us have stuff lying around just gathering dust.

While I don't have anything specific to that model, I do have some stuff like bars, etc. lying around....

“Everytime I start thinkin’ the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people out having a good time on motorcycles and it makes me take another look.”
Steve McQueen, On Any Sunday
mel brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,674
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel brooks
Why don't you post up what other stuff you need? Like trailboss, a lot of us have stuff lying around just gathering dust.

While I don't have anything specific to that model, I do have some stuff like bars, etc. lying around....

The bike is in pretty good shape parts wise. I had to buy the rear shock linkage stuff since it is completely shot and NCTB is suppling the handle bars to replace the bent ones.
Other than some OEM bolts and maybe some plastics the seat is the biggest thing I need to get. The foam is gone and it need recovered. That is first on the shopping list.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Had a few extra bucks in the old pocket after paying the bills this week so a trip to the store to pick up some prep and paint stuff and cleaners for the tank yellowing problem (thanks ValveCrusher).
This is what got done so far. I will start on the swing arm and gas tank today sometime.

Here are the side covers after cleaning them up, clean but scratched up pretty bad as you can see.

Here is them after sanding and prep with a few coats of Fusion paint. Not an exact match but as close as they have for that type of paint.

The triple tree set was not bad. The upper cleaned great and since it was aluminum it did not need paint. The lower is steel and had some rust on it so a little prep work and some gloss black Rustolium paint and it is looking good.

The saga continues.

Ray
Old 01-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #20
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,471
it's gonna end up as a mini-me
Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM   #21
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckin_Thumper
it's gonna end up as a mini-me
At this rate his will be running before mine!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #22
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Not much luck with the tank after 2 hours of scrubbing in the sink. Damn my back friggin hurts now!!!

I have the swing arm 99% done I'm just waiting for the paint to dry enough to put on the 3rd and 4th coats of paint. Stickers should be in this week some time. The inside chain guard tab was broken off so I cut off the top 2 and ground down the welds smooth. Welded up a screw hole or 2 from God knows what and preped for paint.

Before

After

Here is the sticker I will be putting on it.

Ray
Old 01-11-2009, 05:00 AM   #23
Leget

Oddometer: 518
truck6driver, that's looking really great.....I just recently completed an XR100 for a friend who gave it to his son for Christmas.
Now I'm working on a '84 XR80 for another friend who is interested in it for his son (he is a Fire Fighter here in Salisbury..Station 4).
I've got some spare parts for the smaller Hondas in the garage, so let me know if you need anything and I might be able dig one up.
I've got some spare bikes out there too, if anyone is looking for a wintertime project.
Leget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #24
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leget
I've got some spare parts for the smaller Hondas in the garage, so let me know if you need anything and I might be able dig one up.
I've got some spare bikes out there too, if anyone is looking for a wintertime project.
Most of the parts I need are OEM stuff to replace worn out things: air fliter, SEAT FOAM, recover the seat, chain sliders and guides and a couple bolts that a PO installed that are wrong. The seat foam is a biggy right now. VC sent me a link to an aftermarket one, it was about $55 for the foam itself.

So what kind of bikes do you have out back? I might be able to sneek one in when the wife is not looking. I have enough bike parts scattered in the garage that she (or anyone else for that matter) would ever be able to tell.

How about some pics of the bike you did?

Ray
Old 01-11-2009, 07:37 AM   #25
Leget

Most of the parts I need are OEM stuff to replace worn out things: air fliter, SEAT FOAM, recover the seat, chain sliders and guides and a couple bolts.......I'm not much help with that stuff, I've got mostly odds and ends, a set of forks with triples here, a set of wheels there, and random ignition parts.....

So what kind of bikes do you have out back? .....
I've got a '85 YZ250 that runs but needs a frame up resto, and I've got a '84/'90 XR600 ('84 XL600 engine in a '90 XR600 frame) I'm having problems with the whole dual carb engine in a single carb frame deal...carbs need rebuilt. I started the XR project with plans to tag it in NC.....started hearing about the problems getting a tag and then the carb issue...got fed up and bought an XRL.
And I've got an '82 DR250 basketcase......I also have my sons KX60 on eBay right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...1%7C240%3A1318

How about some pics of the bike you did?.....I was in a rush to get it finished and I didn't get any photos of the completed bike....it was a low budget rebuild so there was some things that I would have done that the new owner didn't want to do like replace the seat cover and new plastic. Basically we tore it down to the frame, cleaned and/or repainted everything as we re-assembled (new owner helped). It looked great compared to what it started out as, but I felt it wasn't "finished".
Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #26
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

spent most of the day actually working this afternoon. You would be amazed how much work it takes to put out a 5 acre fire with a shed and a few cars in for good measure.

I have the frame sanded and prepped for paint. And I got the pegs, kickstand, brake pedal and rod all sanded, prepped and painted before we started running fire calls. sorry no before pics on these I forgot the camera at home. I will have to wait to paint the frame. It is too cold in the garage in the evenings for the paint to stick right. I will see what I can do but it will be colder the more the week goes on. I did get some hardware ordered today and if I get it painted this week i will have the engine back in the frame late next week.

Here is what was painted today.

Tune in next time same bat time same bat channel.

Ray
Old 01-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #27
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver
Had a few extra bucks in the old pocket after paying the bills this week so a trip to the store to pick up some prep and paint stuff and cleaners for the tank yellowing problem (thanks ValveCrusher).
I have a tank that needs some help. What do you use on it?

Your project is looking great!
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #28
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

You need to hit up Valve Crusher. He PM'ed my the instuctions to cleaning the plastic tanks. It takes a lot of work so I went on to some other stuff and will get back to the tank later when I have more time to devote to it. I did get the front engine bracket and the peg frame mounts painted white today. I will post pics of them later.
Sorry guys if this seems drawn out. He will be getting a photo album of the rebuild with the bike and his grandparents are following the progress. This is a family event if you know what I mean.

Ray

truck6driver screwed with this post 01-13-2009 at 01:29 PM
Old 01-13-2009, 07:28 PM   #29
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Got to spray more paint today. This time on the front motor mount and side frame brackets for the peds. Nice pretty white and not hat stained egg shell color either. I had more people at the station ask me what that black thing was. I found it in the scrap pile and now use it to hold my spools of wire when doing wiring work. Just so you will know when you look at the picture.

Pretty white!

The frame is next.....I hope!

Ray
Old 01-14-2009, 04:18 AM   #30
Leget

That bike is going to be awesome.............