ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #46
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,202
They do not make a tank cover to fit aftermarket tanks, I already asked.
Big brother WAS running great for about 4 miles this morning on the way to work. It just deceided to stop running. No spark. I think I'm through for a while. It can sit in the garage until I cool off about the whole thing. In the past year I have put way too much money in the damn piece of shit.

The XR80R will be running before my bike.

Ray
truck6driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:08 AM   #47
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,940
Perhaps with the attitude it has created with you it is time to cut it loose as your primary bike. It seems in your words it is past the issue of "it has character" and now is moving to just sucking up your money and your mood. Perhaps a discussion to have with Ms T6D and let this bike become a back of the garage one day project.

Still trace down this gremlin to just figure what the problem is and then decide
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:23 PM   #48
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen
Perhaps with the attitude it has created with you it is time to cut it loose as your primary bike. It seems in your words it is past the issue of "it has character" and now is moving to just sucking up your money and your mood. Perhaps a discussion to have with Ms T6D and let this bike become a back of the garage one day project.

Still trace down this gremlin to just figure what the problem is and then decide
She told me to get a new bike last year. I deceided I did not want to have another payment. A few months later we thought it was a good choice when money got real tight. Now I have spent money on this bike and I could not get a new bike if I wanted to. So it will sit.

Ray
Old 01-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #49
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 299
I don't know what was done to your bike but I'm willing to bet it is just a wire that came loose. Years ago, after a lot of work, we got my friends car running and took it for a test drive. It died about ten miles from his house. Same thing as your bike, no spark. We eventually found a wire going to the coil had come loose. Apparently we missed tightening the nut that held it in place.

The 80 is looking pretty good. This weekend I'm going to try and dye my white tank white again. I'll let you know how it comes out.
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #50
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

They had to go back into the transmission to fix a shift problem after a previous repair.
Yea I checked the wires, connectors and such. It is sitting in the garage with all the plastics, seat and tank off the bike right now. I checked the coil, pulse generator,kick stand switch, neutral switch, ignition switch and the kill switch. All are in spec and the garage was 40 deg. the test is susposed to be done above 68 deg. All test point to the CDI unit.
NO cash...NO CDI....NO riding.
I have parts to buy for the XR80R so I will just let the 650 collect dust until I get my son's bike done.

Back to the XR80R project.
After doing some checking the PO did have the incorrect axles on the bike. I will have to buy a front axle, nut and spacer collar. A rear axle and nut.
So that is about $40 or so added to the parts list I have going now. I was hoping to have the chassis completed this weekend but it is not so.
All the plastics are on order and should be in by Wed. I will then order the axle stuff and a chain and sprocket set. After that the seat and tank cover.
I am now $250 over budget when completed. What the hell it is for my son.

Ray
Old 01-30-2009, 07:04 AM   #51
Shandy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver
They do not make a tank cover to fit aftermarket tanks, I already asked.
Big brother WAS running great for about 4 miles this morning on the way to work. It just deceided to stop running. No spark. I think I'm through for a while. It can sit in the garage until I cool off about the whole thing. In the past year I have put way too much money in the damn piece of shit.

The XR80R will be running before my bike.

Ray
Ray,

My 03 XRL did the same thing and I went nuts. I finally found a loose wire in the battery box at the CDI unit. It was not the CDI but rather a worn wire. I learned later that it was a common problem with the XRL. I was on top of the Parkway when mine went out....I had to be towed out by a DR

JIM

Shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #52
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandy
Ray,

My 03 XRL did the same thing and I went nuts. I finally found a loose wire in the battery box at the CDI unit. It was not the CDI but rather a worn wire. I learned later that it was a common problem with the XRL. I was on top of the Parkway when mine went out....I had to be towed out by a DR

JIM
Yea I did all the wire checks before I started doing the OHMS checks on the system. Hell it's a 1994 model. I guess it is just time for a new one huh? (CDI that is)
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 AM   #53
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,694
If you think it's your CDI, pull out the ol' hair dryer...

Blow hot air across it til it's HOT, then kick it over...

You might see a spark, and you'll know it's the CDI
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #54
NCStephen
Riding NC

Oddometer: 2,940
You said there were the remains of TTs bike there.. would that give you a test CDI ?

S
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Give a holler, get a smile.
NCStephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #55
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen
You said there were the remains of TTs bike there.. would that give you a test CDI ?

S
That fixed Tac-T's bike a few months back.

Ray
Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #56
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Just an update.

The exhaust system and shield is painted in VHT paint.
The front axle, collar and nut is ordered.
The plastics are in at the dealer but I cannot get them right now.
A special thanks goes out to NCTrailboss. He donated handle bars and a set of grips to the project. NCTB you are the man.

My dad is in the hospitial right now so all extra activities have stopped. I will post up some pics when I get back to it.

Ray
Old 02-05-2009, 04:37 AM   #57
Leget

Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck6driver
That fixed Tac-T's bike a few months back.

Ray
Ray, I've got a "spare" CDI (actually a complete ignition system)...I can't remember if it's from an '84 XL600 or a '90 XR600....you're welcome to use it for troubleshooting.

If the CDI I have will fix your problem then you're welcome to use it until you can find a replacement.....

Send me a PM and I'll send my phone number and we can work out the details.

I hope your Dad is doing better,
Michael
Leget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #58
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Thanks for the offer, however, according to the dealer the 600's CDI unit will not work on the "L". Why I don't know but he was adamitt about it. Ricky Stators make aftermarket ones for the XR600 but they said it will not work and would not take it on return if I tried it on the "L".
I know I tried one off a GY6 150 engine and it blew 2 fuses in the fues box as soon as you turn on the key. I hope I did not ruin that CDI. It is the stock one for the Mini-Buggy.

Thanks for the well wishes for my dad. He is home now. They don't know what caused the pain but just have a bunch of guesses. He is just glad to be back home. He did say the nurses we nice to look at though.
Ray
Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #59
RimBenty
Bender of Rims

Oddometer: 299
I thought I would show you how my tank turned out in-case you wanted to try it. I wanted to use dye but couldn't find any so I picked up some Duplicolor vinyl & fabric coating. It actually sticks to the plastic pretty good but since it is a coating it will probably wear off eventually and need to be recoated.

Before

After

The tank on our project bike.

RimBenty screwed with this post 02-08-2009 at 05:16 AM
RimBenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #60
truck6driver OP
The Fireman

Your tank looks good. We (wife and I) deceided that the tank cover was the way to go. It will be one of the last things we get since it can be added after the bike is up and running.

I got the exhaust installed. The front axle came in and was shipped wrong. If was for a CR85. Crap!! I might get this thing done before his birthday...I hope!!

My daughter broke the SC card reader using it as a hammer. It is in 3 peices now. when I get a new one I will post pic's.

Ray