Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Fistful of Bacon OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Trouble starting my LC4

Weekend:
Was having trouble starting my bike with estart saturday, so I tried meat popsicles starting technique and couldn't really get it to work (started it with kick maybe 3 times the whole day, and each time took 5-30 mins to get it started). So got a new battery sunday cause the one I had was kinda weak after charge. Installed it, and the bike still wouldn't start, with estart, or with kick...

Monday:
I left the trickle charger on the new battery overnight sunday just in case it wasn't "fully charged" as advertised, and tested the starter monday morning and it fired right up with the estart. Got home from work on monday and it fired right up again, so i took it for a ride that night and when i got home i practiced kick-starting it while it was hot, and i seemed to be getting the hang of it (could get it to start every few tries).

Tuesday:
Today I decided to try estarting it when i got home from work, and of course it wouldnt start again. I sat there trying estart for a while, then gave up and went for the kick-start (using same method i was getting to work while practicing the night before) and i got nada, jack, diddly.

Plugged the trickle charger on the battery for now and the light was red (battery below 80% atleast) after sitting for about 22 hours with everything turned off, but there has to be something else wrong here, no reason a new battery should lose that much juice in 1 day, no reason a new battery shouldnt start the bike after 1 day, and no reason i shouldnt be able to kick start the bike, even if the battery did lose a decent bit of charge. Unless there is in fact something else wrong. Am i right?

Anyways, if yall can think of something that may be able to help me fix or diagnose the problem that would be great.

Thanks
Bacon
Fistful of Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
chasbo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
I am dealing with that exact same problem on my 625sxc. I am really interested in what advice this generates.

I think RTWPaul had that happen as well and he fixed his with a new battery and a new ground from the battery when he saw it arc while trying to start it...This was his fix

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=395
Old 04-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Fistful of Bacon OP
Adventurer

Yeah, and like I said, I got a new battery, but problem still exists... not sure why the new one would have drained so much, or why I wouldnt be able to kickstart it
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,557
Cranking and cranking will drain even a new battery down fairly quick.

When my battery has sat even for a few days, the starter can't spin the motor quite fast enough to start the bike, but kicking it works every time.

The only time the kicker has failed to work on the first or second try was when my carb was gummed up a bit after sitting for 6 months. Has your bike been sitting for any length of time? More than a month or so?

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,057
Does the starter spin the motor over or does it just CLICK??? Or WHIRR?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:58 PM   #6
Fistful of Bacon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Does the starter spin the motor over or does it just CLICK??? Or WHIRR?
It usually turns over a few times first time I try it, then it only turns over while im holding the decomp lever amd as soon as I let go it just whirrs and stops doing anything at all until I use the decomp lever again. It also pops if I try holding the decomp lever for a while to keep it turning over (this may just be flooding from trying to start so many times?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
Cranking and cranking will drain even a new battery down fairly quick.

When my battery has sat even for a few days, the starter can't spin the motor quite fast enough to start the bike, but kicking it works every time.

The only time the kicker has failed to work on the first or second try was when my carb was gummed up a bit after sitting for 6 months. Has your bike been sitting for any length of time? More than a month or so?
I hadnt been crankimg and cranking it ever after I first installed it sunday, it fired right up every time I started it on monday, and then tuesday night it wouldnt start period.

I just got the bike week and a half ago, and it hasnt sat without running for more than maybe a day or day and a half. Before I got it I think it had sat all winter, but until this last weekend it had always started up and ran just fine. Will have to check the carb though I suppose.

Fistful of Bacon screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 03:05 PM
Old 04-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

I have had two issues with my '06 625 SMC. The first was the starter sprag clutch. The starter would WHIRR but the motor wouldn't turn over at all. A replacement sprag clutch bearing cured this issue. Recently when attempting to start the bike all I got was a CLICK. I spent $120.00 for a new battery only to find that wasn't it. I pulled the starter and found the well worn brushes hung up in their guides. I freed them up, cleaned the carbon powder out and reinstalled the starter. That fix lasted about a week. I found somewhere that the brush plate is the same as that on the Honda XR650l. Since I am the XRL guru I went to the shelf and pulled out a starter rebuild kit. Replaced the brush plate in the starter cleaned the commutator and all's good in the world.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
Old 04-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
Fistful of Bacon OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I have had two issues with my '06 625 SMC. The first was the starter sprag clutch. The starter would WHIRR but the motor wouldn't turn over at all. A replacement sprag clutch bearing cured this issue. Recently when attempting to start the bike all I got was a CLICK. I spent $120.00 for a new battery only to find that wasn't it. I pulled the starter and found the well worn brushes hung up in their guides. I freed them up, cleaned the carbon powder out and reinstalled the starter. That fix lasted about a week. I found somewhere that the brush plate is the same as that on the Honda XR650l. Since I am the XRL guru I went to the shelf and pulled out a starter rebuild kit. Replaced the brush plate in the starter cleaned the commutator and all's good in the world.
Probably should have mentioned this is my first bike and I dont really have any mechanical experience. What is a sprag clutch?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

It is the one way clutch bearing. It grabs while the starter engages and once the engine fires it releases.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

Old 04-09-2014, 06:40 PM   #10
4x4runer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Sometimes I have to assist my estart with the kicker. When I start my bike cold, I pull the decamp lever, kick it completely through the full motion 3 or 4 times then let off the lever. Kick it to top dead center, pull decamp lever and kick about one inch more. I then push the estart button and kick easily but completely and fires right up.
I bought my bike used and could hardly ever start the bike with the estart alone so I found this to work every time. This kind of sounds like a similar situation I had with mine a while back. Could be the starter getting a little weak or could be somewhere in the wiring. I would look into the wiring. Check the grounds, check coneccion from battery to starter, make sure all connections are solid, no obvious corrosion. Maybe have the new battery tested on a load to verify that it's a good battery. It battery and connections all test good, could be weak starter. Just throwing out some ideas.
Mine turned out to be wiring and starter. My bike had a ground from the battery to the frame. The ground that connected to the frame had a small metal washer with teeth. I removed this washer and ground all the dirt and paint at the frame and this seemed to help. I Lso removed the starter and cleaned it real as good as I could. In the end, the estart cant push past TDC and that's why I use my method. I'm thinking I may have a auto decompression issue, just haven't got around to confirming it.
4x4runer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #11
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistful of Bacon View Post
Probably should have mentioned this is my first bike and I dont really have any mechanical experience. What is a sprag clutch?
You have gotten yourself a beast of a first bike

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #12
Beta450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Bacon spray starter fluid in the air filter and try starting. If it fires up right away then most likely you need to remove the carburetor and clean it.

If it doesn't fire up it will be on the electrical side. Then start with easy stuff like a new spark plug, clean the spark plug cap, pull all the connectors to clean and grease them.

I recommend to anyone when you get a new used bike get the repair manual. Then take the carburetor off and clean it. This is also a good time to inspect the jetting and any worn out parts.
Beta450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:46 AM   #13
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
You have gotten yourself a beast of a first bike

+1 You are gonna LOVE IT!