User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2015, 05:12 AM   #1
gantt OP
nooblet

Oddometer: 26
Tweaked front end

I just bought a drz400s last night. The handlebar is cocked to one side. I can see that the front tire is not aligned with the bars. Should I loosen the trees and try to straighten everything out? I don't know how to tell if the forks are just twisted in the trees or not. Basically, how bad is this? Its been years since I've been on dirt, and I was a youngster then. Pictures won't help.
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:22 AM   #2
phreakingeek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
typically it's the forks that are twisted...easy enough to loosen the pinch bolts and re-align the forks with the bars. If the bars are bent or the mounts tweaked, you'll have to dig a little deeper...but it's usually just twisted fork legs.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
gantt OP
nooblet

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakingeek View Post
typically it's the forks that are twisted...easy enough to loosen the pinch bolts and re-align the forks with the bars. If the bars are bent or the mounts tweaked, you'll have to dig a little deeper...but it's usually just twisted fork legs.
Thanks, I don't see any indication of damage. Other than standard scratches and such. The bars don't look bent. I will check it out in a few days when I get time. I'm hoping its just twisted. I'm in it for $3500 for an 07 with new tires and a new set included. 3800 miles. Even if I need some stuff, parts seem to be plentiful used for this model.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #4
phreakingeek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
sounds like a good deal

On more than one occasion I've tweaked the forks out on a ride and just kick the wheel til it was straight. I'm not recommending that technique on a regular basis, but it does work.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
phreakingeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
bobfab
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
another little trick is to loosen the fork pinch bolts, spin the wheel on the stand and stab the front brake. Somtimes that is enough to get it back into alignment. I have also done the technique of standing infront of the bike and squeezing the wheel with your knees twisting it back into alignment, then tighten pinch bolts.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:09 AM   #6
gantt OP
nooblet

Haha, just like a damn huffy. That's what I used to do on bicycles.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
gantt OP
nooblet

Fixed. Thanks for the "approved" method.