Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2010, 10:09 AM   #136
Ironwood
Friday Harbor, WA

Oddometer: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by river251

Where I'm at is I decided to let BD do the stator, one output at 200w, all DC. It will power my lights, heaters. I am making a mount for an XR650L battery over the motor. Since there is no electric start I don't need that much, and may get something smaller in lead acid, but I like the idea of the reserve juice keeping the lighting strong at low rpms, or even in the event of a dead engine at 80 mph (which has happened on my road bikes). I'm using a BD Tecate HID/halogen headlight, about 70w total. So should be plenty of juice. Haven't gotten around to taking the stator off and sending it to them yet, will soon.

If I had it to do again, I would get the Ricky 200 watt stator, reg/rect, and an 8" halogen.
So just to clarify, does that one output then flow thru one large regulator and then to the various loads?

Joe
Ironwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #137
river251
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood
So just to clarify, does that one output then flow thru one large regulator and then to the various loads?

Joe
Yes. I was going to go with two 125 watt outputs and putting both to DC with two regulators, but after talking a lot with BD, they are not sure that the two 125 watt systems are really producing more than 200 watts. You lose power with each regulator.

I'm sure you know there is a third power out from the stator, this is the stock one, that powers the ignition, so this stays the same, you don't worry about it.

If you use one regulator don't use the BD standard one, it won't handle the 200 watts. They happen to have a regulator/rectifier like Ricky's for me. You also have to be careful that any switch can handle whatever you put through it (for 200 watts of lights, the BD light switch is questionable, for example).

BD can give you two 125 watt outputs, or one 200 watt output. Why not one 250 watt output? Because to get the right voltage/current for the dual output, they use smaller wire, so they can get the number of turns they need on the stator. When they go with the single 200 watts, they use thicker wire, which limits the number of turns. But with the thicker wire, you are passing more current safely. I doubt it's a problem with the smaller wire though, since BD systems rarely get negative press.

I may ask them to use two smaller rectifiers, and run them both to my 12 volt battery, and try to have a 250 watt DC system that way. It may not be worth it, since each regulator absorbs some of the power. But I have to verify this will work. There aren't many people to ask. The guys at Ricky are the most helpful and seem most knowledgeable to me. I really need to talk to just an auto electrical guy.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #138
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
XR600R-no battery

I have two outputs on my stator (unknown if it's Ricky or Baja), one to the coil, the other to a Baja regulator. Should the voltage on the load side of the regulator be reading 12v on the meter? Mine is only reading 1.8v. Prior to rebuild, it powered the stock 55w bulb fine, but now......?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #139
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,264
The stock headlight on the XR is 35 watts. You can't run a 55/60 watt headlight unless you have a big stator. A rewound stator will have 8 wires comming out of it and a stock one only has 6. You should have a pair of wires that go to a 2 pin connector, a black wire with a red stripe that goes to a single bullet connector, a brown wire that goes to another single bullet connector and a green and a white wire that goes to the B.D. regulator/rectifier. If you have 2 extra white wires then you've got a B.D. rewound stator, if you have an extra white and a green then it's a Ricky. Ether way 1.8 volts is way too low it should be around 13.5. Disconnect the reg/rect and set your meter for AC and check the voltage from the stator. If it's still only 1.8 then you pinched a wire somewhere, the little metal bracket inside the stator cover is often the culprit. If the voltage is above 13.5 from the stator then the problem is in the DSK. A short in the battery pack is common and so is having the reg/rect just quit on you.

Hope this helps.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
BMW 1150GS It's like ridding a Barkalounger
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #140
trackhead
Utard Wankster

^^^Thanks.

This XR6 is definitely rewound. I replaced the left case cover before the complete rebuild and all the poles were wrapped with four total wires coming out. Two went to a Baja Designs regulator for the light that worked fine after putting on the new left case cover.

I'll check the AC voltage in front of the regulator.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #141
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
^^^Thanks.

This XR6 is definitely rewound. I replaced the left case cover before the complete rebuild and all the poles were wrapped with four total wires coming out. Two went to a Baja Designs regulator for the light that worked fine after putting on the new left case cover.

I'll check the AC voltage in front of the regulator.
Sorry, for some reason I thought you were talking about a 650R not a 600R. That makes it a little differant but the lighting coil wires are the same colors. So if after you plug the green and white wires into the yellow wires from the reg/rect, if you have two extra white wires it's a B.D. rewind. If you have a green and a white wire left over it's a ricky.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #142
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
Sorry, for some reason I thought you were talking about a 650R not a 600R. That makes it a little differant but the lighting coil wires are the same colors. So if after you plug the green and white wires into the yellow wires from the reg/rect, if you have two extra white wires it's a B.D. rewind. If you have a green and a white wire left over it's a ricky.
The OP had the green/white in a regulator, then the other two two whites into another Baja regulator going out to the lights? Two regulators?

When you measure AC directly from the stator, do you put the red lead on one output, and the other grounded to frame?

I suck at electrons.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #143
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,463
You measure across the leads
Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 PM   #144
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play
You measure across the leads
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #145
XRider
Almost Lifelike

It sounds like you've got a dual output system with a DC reg/rect and an AC regulator. That can be a tricky set up because you have to "float" the ground on the AC circuit. What that means is the AC circuit must be isolated and insolated from the frame. The frame being the DC ground. If you don't float the ground nether system will work.

Working on a bikes electrical system sucks but if you mess with it long enough it will start to make sence.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #146
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
It sounds like you've got a dual output system with a DC reg/rect and an AC regulator. That can be a tricky set up because you have to "float" the ground on the AC circuit. What that means is the AC circuit must be isolated and insolated from the frame. The frame being the DC ground. If you don't float the ground nether system will work.

Working on a bikes electrical system sucks but if you mess with it long enough it will start to make sence.
Well right now the bike runs great, but I just can't figure out the DC side of it.

So the output to the coil goes through an AC regulator then to the coil as AC?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #147
numbbutt
Crashing with style

Oddometer: 47
Eh? trying to figure the same thing!!

[quote=XRider]It sounds like you've got a dual output system with a DC reg/rect and an AC regulator. That can be a tricky set up because you have to "float" the ground on the AC circuit. What that means is the AC circuit must be isolated and insolated from the frame. The frame being the DC ground. If you don't float the ground nether system will work.

XRider,
As you appear to be the authority on the BRP wiring here is what I have.

Im running a modded BD DS kit, 2- 55w hella offroad lights, battery, gps, turn sigs, horn ,bla bla bla.

I want to run a split ac/dc system with 1 55w light on all the time connected to a ac reg.

all the other stuff on a dc reg/rec.
I have a electrosport 200w stator, out of the stator the following wires:
pink
white
white
green
black/red
blue/white
white/green
brown
On my last rendition of my wiring job I blew both headlight bulbs( bulbs are cheap, the gps isnt! ) I dont seem to be able to find any schematic that matches the wiring colors andd does the job I am looking for....
Thoughts?
Thanks
numbbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #148
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Well right now the bike runs great, but I just can't figure out the DC side of it.

So the output to the coil goes through an AC regulator then to the coil as AC?
The output to the (ignition) coil comes from the ICM (CDI box). Power to the ICM is AC but does not go through the AC regulator. It's a completely differant circuit and has it's own stator winding. In addition to this there is two more windings in the stator used for lighting that have nothing to do with the ignition. In your system each of these windings gets it's own regulator and one of them gets rectified to DC also. So three circuits come out of the stator, power to ICM (AC), 125w lighting circuit to the AC reg, and 125w lighting curcuit to the reg/rect (DC) and battery.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #149
XRider
Almost Lifelike

XRider,
As you appear to be the authority on the BRP wiring here is what I have.

Im running a modded BD DS kit, 2- 55w hella offroad lights, battery, gps, turn sigs, horn ,bla bla bla.

I want to run a split ac/dc system with 1 55w light on all the time connected to a ac reg.

all the other stuff on a dc reg/rec.
I have a electrosport 200w stator, out of the stator the following wires:
pink
white
white
green
black/red
blue/white
white/green
brown
On my last rendition of my wiring job I blew both headlight bulbs( bulbs are cheap, the gps isnt! ) I dont seem to be able to find any schematic that matches the wiring colors andd does the job I am looking for....
Thoughts?
Thanks[/quote]

How attached to the Electrosport stator are you? Those things are a nightmare. I honestly think you'll have a much easier time of it if you send your stock one to be re-wound or pick up a ricky. I think I may still have the aplication notes for the electrosport but I'll have to look and get back to you.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #150
numbbutt
Crashing with style

Oddometer: 47
attached at the $

How attached to the Electrosport stator are you? Those things are a nightmare. I honestly think you'll have a much easier time of it if you send your stock one to be re-wound or pick up a ricky. I think I may still have the aplication notes for the electrosport but I'll have to look and get back to you.[/quote]

Well...........
It is a low hour unit, I already have it, it is already on the bike, i'm a cheap bastard. What is the fundamental difference in the stators BD, Ricky vs. e.sport?
thanks
numbbutt is offline   Reply With Quote