Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #196
Light Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
So you want to add a brake light and a horn without installing a DSK or even a dual sport handle bar switch? They don't ask much in Colorado do they?

It's pretty straight forward: Behind the headlight you'll find a green wire and a blue wire. They power the headlight and are regulated 12 vac. Tap into the blue wire and run that to one side of your horn. Get an old kill switch, the type that grounds out to the handle bar, and connect it to the other side of the horn. Press the kill button and it should beep. Although I've never tried to power one of those horns with AC but I think it will work....

Thanks XRider... according to the horn box it's just "12v" (no AC/DC info) - so I'll give that a try. (BTW - I'm assuming DSK= Dual sport kit?)

On the BajaDesigns tail light I just noticed that the angle of the LEDs on my piggie are pointed down a bit, so it makes the running light relatively hard to see. Haven't tried the brake yet. Is it possible to leave the stock running light plugged in as well (hook both lights into the same lead)? I can't imagine they draw much juice.

Yeah - I'm a bit of a hack, but I do like having my wiring organized so i already have a full electrical kit/crimps etc... I'm using shrink on all the connections as well to keep it as water tight as possible.

Thanks again.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #197
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,250
I replaced the socket on the stock running light so it will accept an 1157 bulb. So now both tail lights (the B.D. LED & the stocker)are functional running/brake lights. If you make the stock tail light just a running light then no one will notice the LED brake light when it goes on. That's trimming from your safety margin.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #198
Light Rider
Adventurer

Quote:
I replaced the socket on the stock running light so it will accept an 1157 bulb. So now both tail lights (the B.D. LED & the stocker)are functional running/brake lights. If you make the stock tail light just a running light then no one will notice the LED brake light when it goes on. That's trimming from your safety margin.
Now we're talking... Any old 3 wire socket, or would you recommend a particular vendor?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:53 AM   #199
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Rider
Now we're talking... Any old 3 wire socket, or would you recommend a particular vendor?
Get the smallest and shortest all metal socket you can find. Then take a welding rod (or a coat hanger) and bend it in a U. Solder the socket into the U. Then bend the legs into feet with little hoops. Use pop rivets through the hoops to hold the socket on. For it to fit under the lens it has to be as low to the fender as possible and the back of the socket should be right on the wire grommet (in the fender).
Old 03-26-2010, 03:02 AM   #200
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,206
For what it's worth, I first ran a regular bulb holder in my XR650R rear light, but even then the bulb touched the lens...

I recommend the DRC LED insert - it's only about $15 as I recall, and gives you a really nice bright tail and brake light.

Also, I doubt you'll get a regular [most are DC] horn to work with AC - I tried on my XR400 years ago and it just went 'neh' and then died...

I ended up replacing the regulator with a reg/rectifier (and a capacitor to help smooth the charge) thus supplying DC which makes everything work much better, and gives you a feed for a GPS too if you want it...

J xx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #201
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Rider
Thanks XRider... according to the horn box it's just "12v" (no AC/DC info) - so I'll give that a try. (BTW - I'm assuming DSK= Dual sport kit?)

Thanks again.
Unless you specifically ordered an A/C horn (They're somewhat rare) your horn isn't going to work on the XRs A/C system. 99.9 % of the horns being sold are a DC horn.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #202
XRider
Almost Lifelike

I've made several of the sockets with the welding rod brackets but I do like to use the LED version of an 1157 bulb in them. The vibration back there is hell on regular bulbs.
Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 AM   #203
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,206
Quote:
I've made several of the sockets with the welding rod brackets but I do like to use the LED version of an 1157 bulb in them. The vibration back there is hell on regular bulbs.
Yes, that's what I do on my XR400 - like you say, regular bulbs don't seem to last that long...

J x
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #204
Light Rider
Adventurer

Nice guys... thanks. Great info!
Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #205
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc
I'm setting up my XR with a simple DC system, just so I can use my GPS.

Stock stator
DC reg/rect
Capacitor

What, if anything will I have to do to keep the capacitor from draining my GPS's internal battery?

TIA

Ok, I broke down and decided to put together a big DC system. But, I need help!

I got the RS 200w stator, the regulator/rectifier to go with it, and a small 1.5Ah battery. I'm ready to put it on, but it seems like I'm missing something. A switch to keep the battery from draining? Where? What kind?

It seems I heard of a wiring diagram for a similar setup?

Please give me some guidance!

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #206
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Ok, Scratch that. I wired it up as 100w AC and 100w DC, as shown in the RickyStator instructions. Only have my GPS on the DC side, with no switch. Anyone see any problems with that??
Old 04-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #207
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc
Ok, Scratch that. I wired it up as 100w AC and 100w DC, as shown in the RickyStator instructions. Only have my GPS on the DC side, with no switch. Anyone see any problems with that??

It should be fine, constant power to the gps is the way to go. If you're not going to ride the bike for an extended period be sure to unplug the gps or it will drain the battery.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #208
XRider
Almost Lifelike

I get a lot of requests for schematics and I know I've forgoten to send them to some of you. So if I forgot to send them to you or you'd like to request a copy PM me your email address and I'll shoot them off to you.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #209
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
So I just put this stator in my XR650R. It's all plug and play, and then you have two 100w outputs left to use as you wish. I have one 100w output (single lead, no ground) going to an AC regulator and a 100w halogen that is working great. The other 100w output (single lead, no ground) I would like to run through this regulator/rectifier to the small dual sport battery I have running the blinkers/horn/etc.

My question is, the input for the regulator/rectifier has two yellow wires. Do I run one yellow to ground/frame, the other to the single lead output on the stator, then red to + black to - on the battery?

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #210
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
So I just put this stator in my XR650R. It's all plug and play, and then you have two 100w outputs left to use as you wish. I have one 100w output (single lead, no ground) going to an AC regulator and a 100w halogen that is working great. The other 100w output (single lead, no ground) I would like to run through this regulator/rectifier to the small dual sport battery I have running the blinkers/horn/etc.

My question is, the input for the regulator/rectifier has two yellow wires. Do I run one yellow to ground/frame, the other to the single lead output on the stator, then red to + black to - on the battery?

Thanks.
Yes but the DC system must float from the frame.