Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #211
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Yes but the DC system must float from the frame.
What language is this that you are speaking?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #212
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Yes but the DC system must float from the frame.
Meaning the DC system ground is isolated from the ground on from the AC system, which is the frame?

Yeah, right now the DC tail lights/blinkers/horn are all ground to the battery, isolated from the frame.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #213
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
Meaning the DC system ground is isolated from the ground on from the AC system, which is the frame?

Yeah, right now the DC tail lights/blinkers/horn are all ground to the battery, isolated from the frame.
Most people find it easier to float the AC ground because it's usually only powering the headlight were as the DC circuit is powering the tail light, blinkers, gps, battery, etc.

The proper way to hook up a DC reg/rect is to connect the 2 stator leads to the yellow wires on the reg/rect. Do not ground ether of the yellow wires or the stator wires. The red and black wires go to the battery. If you float the AC ground the black wire also goes to the frame.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #214
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,328
Wow. LOTS of good info here. Stayed up way too late last night trying to get through it all. Turns out XRider is only a few minutes away from me, so I'm going to go visit him this afternoon.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:59 AM   #215
Jaronimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Gday fellas
I have an aussie xr650r with the 70w stator as stock, Ive upgraded my headlight to a 55/60w h4 BD style, running LEDS in the indicators with an electronic flasher and LED tail light, Im just after a decent headlight no DC at all

the question I have is will I need to upgrade to a HD ac regulator tho I have no need for a DC system , will the OEM headlight switch handle the 60w highbeam or low beam circuit? should I get an aftermarket BD switch?

I would like to know in advance if the standard honda stuff can handle twice the wattage before something burns out on the trail, any info would be great
Jaronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #216
XRider
Almost Lifelike

The stock equipment should be OK but you are at the limit of what it can handle. To be on the safe side you can put a fuse on the headlight, the AC reg will be fine.
Old 05-08-2010, 05:13 AM   #217
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Oddometer: 1,065
A question for XRrider...
I am "dualsporting" an '88 XR250R, I am undecided between two options for the electrical system:
- Run the factory AC for the lights (35/35W front and 6/21W rear) and run a total loss (floating) system for the horn which is the only DC accessory that I will need to be street legal here in NC. Power will most likely be provided by two 6V lantern batteries or some similar cheap setup.
- Run everything through a BajaDesign reg/rec and use a little el-cheapo ebay battery like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/1-pcs-12V-1300ma...item2a064e17f1
In this case I would probably use LED for the tailight.

What do you think makes more sense and will provide the most light output?
dbarale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #218
XRider
Almost Lifelike

If it wasn't for the horn you could get away without the battery, the LED tail light will work on AC. If it were mine I'd tape 8 AA batterys together for the horn just to pass inspection and do without the DC system all together. If you must have the horn then make the whole system DC (lights and all) and forget about making a dual voltage system. Just disconnect the stock AC reg and connect the stator wires to the DC reg/rect and connect your lights there.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #219
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Thanks, I didn't think about the fact that the LED taillight should have an integrated rectifier... Do you know if the LED replacement bulbs can also take AC?

I also found this on Fleabay for $3 shipped:

I will go for AC lights/DC horn for now. If I end up using the bike a lot I will go for an upgraded stator and full DC system with battery, turn signals and all that crap...

Thanks again,

Daniel
Old 05-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #220
kthpick
super mario

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarale
A question for XRrider...
I am "dualsporting" an '88 XR250R, I am undecided between two options for the electrical system:
- Run the factory AC for the lights (35/35W front and 6/21W rear) and run a total loss (floating) system for the horn which is the only DC accessory that I will need to be street legal here in NC. Power will most likely be provided by two 6V lantern batteries or some similar cheap setup.
- Run everything through a BajaDesign reg/rec and use a little el-cheapo ebay battery like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/1-pcs-12V-1300ma...item2a064e17f1
In this case I would probably use LED for the tailight.

What do you think makes more sense and will provide the most light output?
Sounds like wheeling cycle supply has the parts you need in there EZ electric wire kit. You can buy the parts separately!
  • easy-to-install electrical parts (excluding headlight, tail light and flashers) for competition bikes
  • installation made easy, even if you have no experience
  • power source for this kit is completely self-contained (using 8 double-AA batteries)
  • no need to 'chop' into your wiring harness
  • Moto LED tail lights and flashers are recommended

“When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.” –Thomas Jefferson

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."-Abraham Lincoln
kthpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:22 PM   #221
XRider
Almost Lifelike

[quote=dbarale]Thanks, I didn't think about the fact that the LED taillight should have an integrated rectifier... Do you know if the LED replacement bulbs can also take AC?

The LED version of an 1157 bulb should work on AC. LEDs don't care what kind of power you light them with.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #222
dbarale
Squiddly slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
[
The LED version of an 1157 bulb should work on AC. LEDs don't care what kind of power you light them with.
Interesting, aren't LED's polarity sensitive? I guess they would light up during half a cycle anyway, which is probably still plenty enough as they have no ramp up time.
My (very basic) knowledge of these things is way outdated, time for some Googling and some reading...
Old 05-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #223
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
I have an 05 running the stock stator all ac, the led turn signals come on but I have not gotten hold of a flasher that will work. Suggestions?

Also, the bike came with a terrible Acerbis DHH light, any experience with the trail tech x2 type lights? I would really like a halogen 8in race light but I don't really have the money to spend at the moment. It is street legal too, not sure if they're too bright for road use.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #224
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Getting your LED turn signals the blink requires a solid state flasher. Problem is a solid state flasher won't work on AC and a tin can flasher won't work with LEDs. If you replace 2 of the 4 LED turn signals with bulbs then a tin can flasher should work.

Race lights:
I can't say for all of the states but out here in California for your headlight to be street legal it must have a high and low beam and no brighter than 55/60 watts. Since most of the 8" race lights are 100w with no high beam they wouldn't be legal here. What I do to get around this is install one of my light bars that has two 55w halogens that mounts below the headlight. So I have the 55w low beam and when I switch on the high beam everything goes on. That gives me 170w all pointing down the trail (2 x 55w + 60w) and it works very well.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #225
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,295
XRider, do you have any pictures of your set up...Thanks, Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
Getting your LED turn signals the blink requires a solid state flasher. Problem is a solid state flasher won't work on AC and a tin can flasher won't work with LEDs. If you replace 2 of the 4 LED turn signals with bulbs then a tin can flasher should work.

Race lights:
I can't say for all of the states but out here in California for your headlight to be street legal it must have a high and low beam and no brighter than 55/60 watts. Since most of the 8" race lights are 100w with no high beam they wouldn't be legal here. What I do to get around this is install one of my light bars that has two 55w halogens that mounts below the headlight. So I have the 55w low beam and when I switch on the high beam everything goes on. That gives me 170w all pointing down the trail (2 x 55w + 60w) and it works very well.
Garthe is online now   Reply With Quote