User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #46
themansfield OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Ok, here's one.

Bike currently runs dual sport kit on DC alone.

Can I install the BD rewound stator, re-install the stock AC reg, and somehow use the DSK handlebar switch to control the headlight and brights on the AC side?

--Toasted that little DSK battery this weekend by running headlights and cooling fan together on stock stator output. Blasting down a desert highway on a moonless night with what was as good as a match in a tin can was certainly not the safest thing I've ever done.

themansfield screwed with this post 02-22-2009 at 10:00 PM
themansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #47
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by themansfield
Ok, here's one.

Bike currently runs dual sport kit on DC alone.

Can I install the BD rewound stator, re-install the stock AC reg, and somehow use the DSK handlebar switch to control the headlight and brights on the AC side?

--Toasted that little DSK battery this weekend by running headlights and cooling fan together on stock stator output. Blasting down a desert highway on a moonless night with what was as good as a match in a tin can was certainly not the safest thing I've ever done.

What you want to do is the same as what I have already done on my bike. PM me your email address and I'll send you the schematic that shows you how to hook it up.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
BMW 1150GS It's like ridding a Barkalounger
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #48
Irnworker433
XR650RRRRRRRR

Oddometer: 97
Thanks Xrider!

Well, I had the opportunity for LEX (XRIDER) to do some electrical work on my lil "piggy" (02 xr650r) this past week. I cant tell you guys enuf how good of a job he did with everything. I highly recommend his services if you are anywhere close to the Bay Area Calif. He's got one bad assed xr650r that he super moto'd out to the hilt. Im jealous! Anyways cant wait to try out my new Baja Designs 8" in. Halogen in the Desert very soon. Ill send yall some pics after the maiden voyage. YAY!

Jackrabbits MC RULES! District 37!
Irnworker433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #49
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Thanks for the props.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 AM   #50
Desk Jockey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
xrider, i'd like to take you up on your offer of schematics--and then maybe persuade you to take a peek at my rat's nest of a wiring job on my 02 XR650r (w/ ricky stator, dual sport kit. maybe joe racer? baja d? not certain).

anyway, i've got 8, count 'em, 8 wires coming out of my stator. i've got 2 green ones, 2 white ones, and the 4 multi-color. one green and one white go to the regulator/rectifier. the other green and the other white go nowhere. i'm thinking this pair is the other half of my 200w ricky stator just waiting to be used as AC power in the future?

the regulator/rectifier itself has 4 short wires, 2 of which are connected to the aforementioned green & white from the stator. the other two are black and red, and the rectifier itself has a diagram on its side showing red and black going to the battery -- and to "LOAD". a few splices here, splices there, double fused this, taped up that, and red does go to the battery eventually, and also to a white wire (whose tiny letters say "ground"). This white wire then runs parallel to three other wires all the way up to the headlight area. This must be my "kit". Stock kit or aftermarket kit, I'm not sure. The black wire also goes to the battery, after going through a ground, and also to and from a kill/power/toggle switch rigged into the rear fender. when the switch is off, lights are off and bike won't start. when switch is on, lights and signals and horn all work and bike can be kick started.

But then i've also got the 4 multi-color wires from the stator connecting in ones, twos, and threes to all kinds of other wires in crazy ways, some to a "Denso" card-deck sized box (my CDI?) where it splits again and a wrapped bundle goes toward the headlight area. i believe a green and a black/yellow wire split out of this bundle and into a black doohickey and then on to the spark plug. nice. i get it. still not sure what to make of all the other wires that seem to have no connection at all. Or do they, somewhere under the wraps?

dismounting the headlight, i've got about 30 wires under there. nuts! it's like i have two or three full kits on there or something. anyway, i'm enjoying learning something new and following where all these go. long winded way of saying, "Please!"
Desk Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #51
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk Jockey
xrider, i'd like to take you up on your offer of schematics--and then maybe persuade you to take a peek at my rat's nest of a wiring job on my 02 XR650r (w/ ricky stator, dual sport kit. maybe joe racer? baja d? not certain).

anyway, i've got 8, count 'em, 8 wires coming out of my stator. i've got 2 green ones, 2 white ones, and the 4 multi-color. one green and one white go to the regulator/rectifier. the other green and the other white go nowhere. i'm thinking this pair is the other half of my 200w ricky stator just waiting to be used as AC power in the future?

the regulator/rectifier itself has 4 short wires, 2 of which are connected to the aforementioned green & white from the stator. the other two are black and red, and the rectifier itself has a diagram on its side showing red and black going to the battery -- and to "LOAD". a few splices here, splices there, double fused this, taped up that, and red does go to the battery eventually, and also to a white wire (whose tiny letters say "ground"). This white wire then runs parallel to three other wires all the way up to the headlight area. This must be my "kit". Stock kit or aftermarket kit, I'm not sure. The black wire also goes to the battery, after going through a ground, and also to and from a kill/power/toggle switch rigged into the rear fender. when the switch is off, lights are off and bike won't start. when switch is on, lights and signals and horn all work and bike can be kick started.

But then i've also got the 4 multi-color wires from the stator connecting in ones, twos, and threes to all kinds of other wires in crazy ways, some to a "Denso" card-deck sized box (my CDI?) where it splits again and a wrapped bundle goes toward the headlight area. i believe a green and a black/yellow wire split out of this bundle and into a black doohickey and then on to the spark plug. nice. i get it. still not sure what to make of all the other wires that seem to have no connection at all. Or do they, somewhere under the wraps?

dismounting the headlight, i've got about 30 wires under there. nuts! it's like i have two or three full kits on there or something. anyway, i'm enjoying learning something new and following where all these go. long winded way of saying, "Please!"

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.......Run away!

Just kidding, let's start by PMing me your email address so I can send you the schematics as an attachment. Are you located anyware near my shop?
Old 03-29-2009, 06:37 PM   #52
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,149
xr HID

I am in the process of setting up the xr for a large HID. I talked to ricky stator and he informed me that for the size of HID I am planning on using I would need a decent battery to help it start. So I purchased his 200w stator and rectifier/regulator.

Today I looked all over the bike and could not find any place to mount the crf 450 battery that I had just bought. It was the smallest that I could find here in the small town of Camp Verde. I finally decided on putting at the back of the bike behind the airbox. I fabbed up a battery box and mounted it. I wish the battery was a little slimmer but I think it will work ok. Anyone else try this?

Here are some pics of the box I made.

I now need to make a small plastic cover to put over the terminals. I tried the battery the other way but the positive terminal was too close to the mounting bolts, didn't want to short out the battery.

I will install the stator and regulator later this week. I am still waiting on some parts so I can fab the front light. I think I will use a trailtech cage to mount my reflector and ballast.

What do you guys think? Does it look ok or should I start over?

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #53
Gyroaxle
Banned

Oddometer: 44
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by themansfield
Ok, here's one.

. Blasting down a desert highway on a moonless night with what was as good as a match in a tin can was certainly not the safest thing I've ever done.
__________________________________________________ ________________

Ha! reminds me of a 1960 VW I had, with a 6 volt charging system, I called its headlights - "Two Candle Power"
Gyroaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 AM   #54
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,146
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva
I am in the process of setting up the xr for a large HID. I talked to ricky stator and he informed me that for the size of HID I am planning on using I would need a decent battery to help it start. So I purchased his 200w stator and rectifier/regulator.

Today I looked all over the bike and could not find any place to mount the crf 450 battery that I had just bought. It was the smallest that I could find here in the small town of Camp Verde. I finally decided on putting at the back of the bike behind the airbox. I fabbed up a battery box and mounted it. I wish the battery was a little slimmer but I think it will work ok. Anyone else try this?

Here are some pics of the box I made.

I now need to make a small plastic cover to put over the terminals. I tried the battery the other way but the positive terminal was too close to the mounting bolts, didn't want to short out the battery.

I will install the stator and regulator later this week. I am still waiting on some parts so I can fab the front light. I think I will use a trailtech cage to mount my reflector and ballast.

What do you guys think? Does it look ok or should I start over?

-John
It looks good. Lets us know if you have any problems with the subframe or tire clearance issues.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:58 PM   #55
XRider
Almost Lifelike

I'd say your battery installation looks pretty sharp. It's tough to find enough room to mount a battery that size. If it doesn't hit the tire I'd say you're golden.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #56
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
arrcrussell,

I'd love to hear the story that goes with your avitar. As Homer would say, doughhh....
Pipeline, Allegheny NF, PA. That's a buddy's XR400 - honestly, no BS, I'm not kiddin, really - We all bust his balls cause he buried it in a sinkhole in a 50ft long 4x4 rut and when asked why he went thru it he said - "Well, it was flat on top!"
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #57
XRider
Almost Lifelike

The funnest thing I ever saw was when a buddy tried to ride across a dry (but muddy) pond. Hits the middle and the bike sinks up to the pegs in the mud. Steps off the bike, sinks up to his knees in the mud. Trying to walk through the sucking mud he gets one step off before he loses his balance and falls forward. He put his hands out to break his fall and his arms disappeared and sunk into the mud up to his sholders. He is screaming for us to help him but we are laughing so hard we can't do anything. Luckely he still had his helmet on or he would have drowned in the mud. It eventualy took two 4x4 quads chained together to pull the bike out.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #58
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Here it is

I just finished getting most of my parts together to build my 70w HID. I am still waiting on a stator cover gasket.

I built this ring this evening to hold my big reflector. I had a friend of mine cut the ring for me out of 3/16" steel, all I had to do was weld on the tabs. I still have to paint it and drill a hole to mount the big knob for the head light adjustment. The ballast will be mounted on the top of the cage. Trail tech wanted too much for their light so I went with the Baja Designs one instead.

This is the reflector in the BD cage.

Once I get the stator cover gasket I can start on the wiring. XRider has been nice enough to offer some help with the wiring.

I will post more pics as the build progresses.

-John

azcagiva screwed with this post 04-10-2009 at 08:12 PM
Old 04-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #59
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Here is the light mounted on the bike.

It looks like I have room to mount the ballast under the light using the holes that the stock light used. Now all I need is the stator cover gasket and I can pull the tank and start wiring.

-John

Old 04-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #60
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
John,

That's gorgeous man! Hope you're taking notes, because I'm going to need you to do the same for mine! Those 70W KCs are off the hook.