Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #61
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Oddometer: 1,136
I did a little work on the bike today. I am still waiting on the gasket for the stator so I decided to do what I could.

I installed a small relay for the lights. I made a small wiring harness and ran it to the front of the bike. The relay is set up so it will trigger when I ground the wire I ran to the front of the bike. I also installed the small regulator/rectifier that I had.

Here is a pic of the under seat area

Anyone have any recommendations for a small handlebar switch?

-John

www.Raceforthewounded.com
azcagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:41 PM   #62
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
Johnm, check out these guys: Highway Dirtbikes
Old 04-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #63
Behindbars
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 650
I have a switch from Paul at Highwaydirtbikes.com I really like it.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #64
winterhk
*Disminuya Su Velocidad*

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindbars
I have a switch from Paul at Highwaydirtbikes.com I really like it.
How do you like that hydraulic clutch? Got any more pics of it? Any issues?
Old 04-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #65
Behindbars
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterhk
How do you like that hydraulic clutch? Got any more pics of it? Any issues?
Actually that is a LH rear brake. No clutch lever. I run the Rekluse.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #66
azcagiva
new orange flavor

I was able to get the stator back on the bike today. I finished the wiring and fired it up. The battery at rest is around 12.5 . With the bike idling and the light on its 12.39, a little throttle and the voltage is 13+.

I think it is gonna work. Now I just have to get the switch and mount the ballast. Hopefully everything stays together.

I am happy with the light and it is stupid bright, hurts to look at the reflection on the wall.

-John

Old 04-14-2009, 11:59 PM   #67
Road Hog
anger management

Oddometer: 564
putting a big light on is the best thing you'll do. the day will never end
Old 04-15-2009, 06:18 PM   #68
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva
I am in the process of setting up the xr for a large HID. I talked to ricky stator and he informed me that for the size of HID I am planning on using I would need a decent battery to help it start. So I purchased his 200w stator and rectifier/regulator.

Today I looked all over the bike and could not find any place to mount the crf 450 battery that I had just bought. It was the smallest that I could find here in the small town of Camp Verde. I finally decided on putting at the back of the bike behind the airbox. I fabbed up a battery box and mounted it. I wish the battery was a little slimmer but I think it will work ok. Anyone else try this?

Here are some pics of the box I made.

I now need to make a small plastic cover to put over the terminals. I tried the battery the other way but the positive terminal was too close to the mounting bolts, didn't want to short out the battery.

I will install the stator and regulator later this week. I am still waiting on some parts so I can fab the front light. I think I will use a trailtech cage to mount my reflector and ballast.

What do you guys think? Does it look ok or should I start over?

-John
i have a similar battery mounted on my bike using a tray sold by Baja Designs. the tray goes mounted above the engine behind the stator. the way yours is set up looks good but it will take a pounding, i wonder if it will hold in the long run. this is the best picture i have right now of my set up, the battery is right behind the e-start (previous owner install) i'd like to get rid of but love when i'm too hot and tired to kick it's a great location for the battery, well protected and solidly mounted to the engine.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 AM   #69
azcagiva
new orange flavor

I thought about mounting the battery under the tank like yours, but the battery that I have was a little too big. What battery are you using? I was thinking that mine may not hold up so I need to keep my options open.

-John

Old 04-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #70
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcagiva
I thought about mounting the battery under the tank like yours, but the battery that I have was a little too big. What battery are you using? I was thinking that mine may not hold up so I need to keep my options open.

-John
i have the yuasa YTZ 7S.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:01 PM   #71
azcagiva
new orange flavor

Finished the bike today. I really like the highway dirtbikes switches that I got. I tied one into the kill switch to slow the dirtbags down if they try to steal it. That and the padlock through the rear rotor should work.

-John

Old 05-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #72
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,322
I have a BD 125w x 2 stator. I was running half AC, half DC. I have decided to convert to an all DC system & a HID headlight setup. I talked to BD, they said I could combine the AC leads into one input to the rectifier. On John's advice I have a 250w RS rectifier coming and I'm looking at a smaller battery option to help light a 40w HID

4play screwed with this post 05-10-2009 at 03:42 PM
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #73
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,322
My buddy John with me as his helper built a light cage for my XRR.
I'll be using the same KC reflector as he's using on his with a 55w HID. For now I have it mocked up with his spare BD halogen.

Thanks John!
I need a bit more battery to run it & possibly a wiring upgrade. It only needs 55w's to run, but it seems to need way more than that to warm up.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #74
DRBImagery
Have cameras, will travel

Oddometer: 65
Vancouver Super Moto Harness

Im running a different harness system that the BD, I didnt like the quality of the BD stuff and I found a very cool, well designed harness built by Vancouver Super Moto in Canada, its pricey but worth it, good peeps to deal with over the phone and excellent service. Im running a split ac/dc system with dual 5 3/4" 55 watt lamps up front in a Simpson offroad fairing. will post pics in a while,,,,,great thread going here! Gotta love the XR crowd

DRBImagery screwed with this post 05-28-2009 at 12:37 AM
DRBImagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #75
*Ck*
Goin south...

Oddometer: 58
hey drb, where about in alberta are you?
I just picked up the same kit, vancouver Supermoto right?

Anyways, i'm having an issue with my headlight ( not working) let me explain:

HAve 200w stator spit into 2x100, 1 ac system for headlight, 1 dc system for everything else, dc system is workin perfect.
The ac system gets power through a single wire that goes from one of the stator coil wires to the stock ac regulator that was replaced with a dc one that came with the kit.
So...power from stator plugs into the positive (white/yellow) on the regulator and then from the positive dual female end a wire goes to power on headlight.
theres a wire from the negative on the headlight that goes to a negative on the ac regulator and a wire that grounds to the frame from the negative dual femal end.

Now, from what i've been reading i need to "float the ground" (ie. take it off), will this solve my problem?

cheers

Ck

Check out, www.alaskatoargentina.org

Cheers

Ck
*Ck* is offline   Reply With Quote