Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #826
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
I'm not a fan of caps ether but I have seen them work ok, the dharge/discharge properties doesn't seem to affect the operation of electrical componets and done right it can be a simple light weight alternative. Although they can get just as bulky as a battery when properly sized.

Gildus, never heard of the VR/Reg only lasting 1.5yrs, I'm on 3 with no issues. A stock system gets far more life than that, easily years. If the XRRs (new) electrical system is properly sized and designed, there's no reason the VR/Rect shouldn't last as long as a stock unit.
I've personally not had a VR/Reg fail yet (knock on wood); it was XRider who mentioned seeing many fail in that timeframe. He wasn't specific on makes, but I suspect they were BD and not RS ones. With that single point of failure inherent on an all DC system, I personally would still carry a backup. Or at least keep my AC reg on hand if I had to jury rig things to get home. Thx
Gildus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #827
Kevlar49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildus View Post
I've personally not had a VR/Reg fail yet (knock on wood); it was XRider who mentioned seeing many fail in that timeframe. He wasn't specific on makes, but I suspect they were BD and not RS ones. With that single point of failure inherent on an all DC system, I personally would still carry a backup. Or at least keep my AC reg on hand if I had to jury rig things to get home. Thx
Hm, I'm RideFreak on this, I've personally never heard of Regulator/Rectifiers only lasting a year and a half. Maybe if they're operating with higher constant current draws with inadequate cooling? I have fried one on a Formula SAE car, but it was a used rectifier of questionable age off of a wrecked bike, and it was tucked right up by the engine without much airflow, so it likely was running hot/overheated as well.

As for the single point of failure - while this is true, at worst I would lose my lights and horn. Certainly nothing that would leave me stranded! So, I'm not too concerned, or at least, not concerned enough to bother carrying an extra regulator with me everywhere I go! Space is already at a premium on an XR-R, haha.
Kevlar49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #828
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,053
I would carry a CDI (black box) over a RR, Had one fail last year in the middle of a single track. Took most of day to drag bike 1 mile out in 100 degree heat with an ATV and 3-4 people!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #829
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar49 View Post
Hm, I'm RideFreak on this, I've personally never heard of Regulator/Rectifiers only lasting a year and a half. Maybe if they're operating with higher constant current draws with inadequate cooling? I have fried one on a Formula SAE car, but it was a used rectifier of questionable age off of a wrecked bike, and it was tucked right up by the engine without much airflow, so it likely was running hot/overheated as well.

As for the single point of failure - while this is true, at worst I would lose my lights and horn. Certainly nothing that would leave me stranded! So, I'm not too concerned, or at least, not concerned enough to bother carrying an extra regulator with me everywhere I go! Space is already at a premium on an XR-R, haha.
Yeah, I'd hate to carry an extra myself, but fortunately I don't have to since I use a split AC/DC system and if my R/R or battery go out, the lights on the AC circuit will still get me home. All DC or all AC systems with ganged full-power stator outputs create special challenges. Never seen a CDI go out (thank goodness), but have heard of a number of R/Rs and AC regs. According to XRider, he heard from BD themselves that the R/R has a limited life expectancy of a couple of years. Didn't talk to them myself, but those of you who know XRider know his reputation.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #830
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,840
Yeah, ya gotta trust your equipment, if you don't, I'd replace it with something you do trust. I carry tools, tow strap, a little oil in a small bottle, JB weld, small container of moldable putty and some nuts. bolts, safety wire, tape and tire stuff.

We frequently ride way out in BFE here, miles and miles from a cell signal let alone any help. I trust the equipment and my work. If needed I'll ride it home with a flat, no lights, missing a shifter, no clutch, no brakes, take your pick Just so I don't have to walk.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #831
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl Rdr View Post
I would carry a CDI (black box) over a RR, Had one fail last year in the middle of a single track. Took most of day to drag bike 1 mile out in 100 degree heat with an ATV and 3-4 people!

I carry a CDI with when on a trip but usally leave it home when riding around here. That's the one componet I worry a little about.

Was it an XR400 CDI?
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #832
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I carry a CDI with when on a trip but usally leave it home when riding around here. That's the one componet I worry a little about.

Was it an XR400 CDI?
Chris, have you ever had an XRR CDI fail?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #833
Rider Eh!
donkey

Oddometer: 75
Can anyone recommend a reliable battery I could purchase that will fit under the seat?
Rider Eh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 PM   #834
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider Eh! View Post
Can anyone recommend a reliable battery I could purchase that will fit under the seat?
Something like this one, although you might find it cheaper on another site.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-1_3...d-battery.html
Old 04-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #835
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Not yet, knock on wood

It's one part that gives you zero warning and will strand you if it fails, they're not known as problem part. Pretty reliable but we all know any electronic component can fail. I keep a spare XR400 CDI at home.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #836
Rider Eh!
donkey

Oddometer: 75
At
Quote:
Something like this one, although you might find it cheaper on another site.

http://www.batterymart.com/p-12v-1_3...d-battery.html
Thanks but I need a specific model that will 100% fit. I will not be able to test fit on the bike as it will be in Phoenix, and I will be flying down to the bike later with the battery. Note I am running a Moose seat, though I don't think it differs much from stock underneath.
Rider Eh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #837
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:

Was it an XR400 CDI?
It was an aftermarket one for XR650R, has a stock one now.

Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #838
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:

I have. On my 02 XR250R about 3 weeks ago...I was using a Ricks HotShot CDI that just up and died on the way back from a dual sport ride. Left me on the roadside about 5 miles from home...had the old lady bring my truck down to pick me up. I was fortunate to have a cell signal and enough battery power in the phone to send out a help text.

Right now I have the stock unit back in the bike and have purchased another Ricks which I keep as a spare.

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #839
Kevlar49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Updated my wiring diagram again. Included provisions to add a fan at a later date (just going to add the relay connector and other wiring to the harness now). If it starts running hot once summer hits, I'll just plug in a relay, put a thermostat switch in the radiator or an in-line coolant hose adapter, and plug a fan in.

Oh, also, the ignition switch showed up today. Looks like it will work well. It's a K&S part (item number 12-0062). Kind of wish I had known that before ordering, because I found it on another site for a little over $20 shipped, whereas the total through ProCycle was $46.25. They charged me $9.30 shipping for a tiny little USPS priority VHS-sized box, and a $4 "Handling Fee." What a bunch of bullshit...

Oh, I also updated my non-keyed wiring diagram to include the diodes (plus a few minor tweaks).

Kevlar49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #840
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

If you use a Derale thermo switch for the fan you don't need the relay, the switch will handle the current draw of the spal fan. I didn't know that when putting mine together so I have the relay, had I known it would have simplified the system a little.