Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #76
DRBImagery
Have cameras, will travel

Oddometer: 65
I would call them, they are very good at the tech stuff on the phone,,,my system is totally different from yours in how its wired, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ck*
hey drb, where about in alberta are you?
I just picked up the same kit, vancouver Supermoto right?

Anyways, i'm having an issue with my headlight ( not working) let me explain:

HAve 200w stator spit into 2x100, 1 ac system for headlight, 1 dc system for everything else, dc system is workin perfect.
The ac system gets power through a single wire that goes from one of the stator coil wires to the stock ac regulator that was replaced with a dc one that came with the kit.
So...power from stator plugs into the positive (white/yellow) on the regulator and then from the positive dual female end a wire goes to power on headlight.
theres a wire from the negative on the headlight that goes to a negative on the ac regulator and a wire that grounds to the frame from the negative dual femal end.

Now, from what i've been reading i need to "float the ground" (ie. take it off), will this solve my problem?

cheers

Ck
DRBImagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 AM   #77
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,453
I would try clipping the ground from the AC regulator. I ran my AC system isolated, with one leg to each side of the bulb & it worked great.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #78
DRBImagery

From what I understand the Vancouver system isolates the DC side, which is why I thought he was best to just call them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play
I would try clipping the ground from the AC regulator. I ran my AC system isolated, with one leg to each side of the bulb & it worked great.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:39 PM   #79
*Ck*
Goin south...

Oddometer: 58
figured it out. I guess some of the connections that came with the headlight weren't installed properly.
And just for reference, The AC system i'm using does use a traditional ground. That is when running a single wire out of stator attached directly to a wire on the coils.

Cheers

Ck

Check out, www.alaskatoargentina.org

Cheers

Ck
*Ck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #80
4play
Next?

Glad you got it figured out!
Old 05-30-2009, 01:28 AM   #81
DRBImagery

Thats what my system does,,,ground on the ac side....closed loop on the dc, real nice harness they make.

Quote:
figured it out. I guess some of the connections that came with the headlight weren't installed properly.
And just for reference, The AC system i'm using does use a traditional ground. That is when running a single wire out of stator attached directly to a wire on the coils.

Cheers

Ck
Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 AM   #82
*Ck*
Goin south...

Oddometer: 58
Yea their harness is definitly the best i've seen, definitly a lot more expensive though, but worth it, if it lasts longer. I also like how it comes ready to support many 12v run accessories, I"m going to wire in a 12v plug to the front and to the rear, all I got to do is plug them in.
I havn't got my vapor speedo from them yet, hoping that is fairly straightforward.

cheers

Ck

Check out, www.alaskatoargentina.org

Cheers

Ck
*Ck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #83
Vancouver Supermoto
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Yea their harness is definitly the best i've seen, definitly a lot more expensive though, but worth it, if it lasts longer. I also like how it comes ready to support many 12v run accessories, I"m going to wire in a 12v plug to the front and to the rear, all I got to do is plug them in.
I havn't got my vapor speedo from them yet, hoping that is fairly straightforward.

cheers

Ck
We'll stand behing the product for everything except smash damage!
Glad you fellas like the WARNESS!

VSM.
Attached Images

Vancouver Supermoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #84
stuc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Connect a GPS

I've got an Australian Spec BRP (which has a rectifier + capacitor to create a DC circuit, from which run the blinkers + speedo light). I'd like to connect my Zumo into this circuit to keep some charge on it.

- Would I cause trouble just connecting the zumo directly to this circuit (it doesn't have a battery, I don't know if the voltage/amps are constant enough to be safe for a GPS which is expecting DC).

- If I needed a battery, how would I wire one in? I note that most recomendations say that batteries will take a constant charge of 10% of capacity.
stuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:53 AM   #85
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuc
I've got an Australian Spec BRP (which has a rectifier + capacitor to create a DC circuit, from which run the blinkers + speedo light). I'd like to connect my Zumo into this circuit to keep some charge on it.

- Would I cause trouble just connecting the zumo directly to this circuit (it doesn't have a battery, I don't know if the voltage/amps are constant enough to be safe for a GPS which is expecting DC).

- If I needed a battery, how would I wire one in? I note that most recomendations say that batteries will take a constant charge of 10% of capacity.

First you need to find out what voltage the gps requires, I have one that uses +5VDC and another that uses +12VDC. It will be printed on the GPS at the jack where the charger plugs in.

If it runs on 12 volts you can connect the car charger for the GPS at the capacitor, this is where the power will be the cleanest. However since the power from the bike will be charging batteries in the GPS and not powering the unit itself it's really not much of an issue.

You don't have to install a battery on the bike to make this work but it will only charge when the engine is running. You may need to put a couple of diodes in line otherwise when the bike is off the cap might suck the GPS batteries dry. The diodes will keep the current from flowing back into the bike harness. An inline fuse wouldn't hurt ether.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
BMW 1150GS It's like ridding a Barkalounger
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #86
stuc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
First you need to find out what voltage the gps requires, I have one that uses +5VDC and another that uses +12VDC. It will be printed on the GPS at the jack where the charger plugs in.

If it runs on 12 volts you can connect the car charger for the GPS at the capacitor, this is where the power will be the cleanest. However since the power from the bike will be charging batteries in the GPS and not powering the unit itself it's really not much of an issue.

You don't have to install a battery on the bike to make this work but it will only charge when the engine is running. You may need to put a couple of diodes in line otherwise when the bike is off the cap might suck the GPS batteries dry. The diodes will keep the current from flowing back into the bike harness. An inline fuse wouldn't hurt ether.

Perfect! That's exactly what I need to know. The wiring for the GPS already has a fuse inline, I shouldn't have much trouble getting a diode.
stuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #87
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 627
Erratic Voltage

Background:...................I put a 100 watt 8" race light on my XRR along with 200 watt stator, capacitor (no battery) and a recomended heavy duty voltage regulator per the boys at Ricky Stator...its off an ATV.

PROBLEM:.............my voltage is crazy bouncing around.......ie. 14.4 to 11.3 to 12 to 7.8.then goes back up with crazy sequences.........when it hits 7.8 my gps says it has lost its power source...so every few seconds it will come up lost power source.........that is the only reason I knew there was something going on......I then set a data field to voltage and started watching it on the gps.........it seemed to be worse when I had my headlight on........but it still did it when off............It make NO DIFFERENCE what my RPMs are.........I have had 14 volts at idle and then 7.8 show up at speed. When you turn the bike off.......no power....no battery.....it will read 7.8.

I need to fix this as I have a Big Trip coming up...

Let me know what you think.........

Tim

Gunslinger1 screwed with this post 07-04-2009 at 02:51 PM
Gunslinger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #88
4play
Next?

I have not played with a capacitor in a DC system, but your symptoms sound like it's not working properly. When I added a larger battery to my rig it stabilized the voltage
Old 07-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #89
Gunslinger1
GIVE'R

Oddometer: 627
I think I have a bad V. Reg.....put the old one back on and the voltage is steady as a rock..

Thanks
Gunslinger1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #90
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Hope someone can help here.....buddy has a Ricky Stator 200 watt stator installed on his 04 XR650R....having a problem troubleshooting some electrical problems. One question.....checking the stator windings to ground...one white wire and one green wire are showing continutity to gorund. I know on the DRZ, this means the stator is shot. What about on the RS Stators for the XR?

Thanks for any help.

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote