User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #931
jimmyx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Cry Headlight Quetion

I have an '01 brp and am installing dual headlights( old school, side by side, honda baja style), 55w each?. Just picked up a 200w ricky stator and ac voltage regulator do I need anything else? I currently have BD dualsport set up, 35w headlight, taillight, turn signals etc. Any info would be great.

Thanks,

Jim

This is the type of light i picked up

Dorothy Parker

jimmyx screwed with this post 05-17-2012 at 09:32 PM
jimmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #932
SwampFox89
Old Skool

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
A short! You need to break out a meter and check for continunity to ground from that blue wire.
Well I'm an idiot. I found my short. It was so obvious after I walked away from it for a bit. Thanks for all the help folks :)
Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #933
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 151
back up LED to HID single lamp setup

Something I tried on my BD headlamp and it worked, a LED backup lamp set up on high beam.
I thought it might get too hot from the HID but I has withstood the test of time.
Its not bright enough to ride with but good enough to get off the road with

FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:30 AM   #934
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 151
Siginal indicator

On the cant remember to cancel my signal department,I used a three terminal flasher and a verry bright LED
Works grea,t no more leaving the signal on

FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #935
SpeedoJosh
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Trying to get the wiring all legit in my XR. Previous owner installed lights and blinkers. I didn't like the headlight, so I put a Cyclops on there (guy I bought it from wired it up). Worked for a little bit, then started flickering, then finally just stopped working. I'm pretty sure it's the wiring. So I took the light off thinking an easy fix, and found way more wires then expected, and no idea where to start. Is there a schematic of the wiring, or some type of diagram? Mainly needing from the forks, (where the harness plugs into) forward. Or better yet a wire harness that could be purchased?

Bike has blinkers, pulsating brake light, small battery, Cyclops headlight.

Few pics to help draw picture

'Cause I like to party - Story of 2 XR650s conquering Florida
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754094

SpeedoJosh screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 10:32 AM
SpeedoJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #936
dirtard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 228
okay fellas i got my bike all back together and reconnected the wiring, but dont remember exactly where a few wires go. i have a bd's quick kit where the battery regulator/rect is behind the headlight. i have a 2 wires running side by side from the headlight wiring along the frame to about the airbox. one is orange and one is white. what wires do these connect to? also the stock regulator was left in place and i dont think it was connected before, but i dont remember forsure. does it need to be? i connected everything were i though it was supposed to go, but apparently i was wrong somewhere in the connections at the airbox, because all my headlights work along with my front blinkers, but my taillight and rear blinkers do not. im thinking i have that white and the orange wires mixed up somehow.
dirtard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #937
rjvlieger
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I have a stock '01 650r as far as electrical. On a hot day through the trails it will use water so I bought the ktm fan to put on it. My question is...using the stock stator can I tap into the power going to the headlight and use it for the fan? If I do, I know I need to convert the current going to fan to dc but if at all possibilities I do not want to put a battery on it but would rather go the rectifier/condenser route. I'm sure there are many different sizes of rectifiers and condensers out there. What is a good sized one to use?
rjvlieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #938
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvlieger View Post
I have a stock '01 650r as far as electrical. On a hot day through the trails it will use water so I bought the ktm fan to put on it. My question is...using the stock stator can I tap into the power going to the headlight and use it for the fan? If I do, I know I need to convert the current going to fan to dc but if at all possibilities I do not want to put a battery on it but would rather go the rectifier/condenser route. I'm sure there are many different sizes of rectifiers and condensers out there. What is a good sized one to use?
Batteries can be had for 30 bucks these days and are small and light, I'd suggest using one so the fan can keep running when you stall. IMHO

Trail tech makes an affordable universal reg/Rex

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM   #939
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Batteries can be had for 30 bucks these days and are small and light, I'd suggest using one so the fan can keep running when you stall. IMHO

Trail tech makes an affordable universal reg/Rex
Why do you want the fan to run when the motor's stalled? There's no water circulating to cool off?
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #940
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtard View Post
okay fellas i got my bike all back together and reconnected the wiring, but dont remember exactly where a few wires go. i have a bd's quick kit where the battery regulator/rect is behind the headlight. i have a 2 wires running side by side from the headlight wiring along the frame to about the airbox. one is orange and one is white. what wires do these connect to? also the stock regulator was left in place and i dont think it was connected before, but i dont remember forsure. does it need to be? i connected everything were i though it was supposed to go, but apparently i was wrong somewhere in the connections at the airbox, because all my headlights work along with my front blinkers, but my taillight and rear blinkers do not. im thinking i have that white and the orange wires mixed up somehow.
Search is your friend
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #941
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
XR650R Adventure Bike Build

I recently bought my third XR650R. It's a mint 2005 that looks like it came right off the showroom floor. It's almost too nice to work on!

Anyways what I plan to do with this one is to make an adventure touring bike. I already have much of the mechanical stuff figured out and already many of the parts in my collection. The electrical stuff is a little harder to get started on. I know what I want but not sure the best way to do it.

Here are my requirements;
Grip heaters, Rad fan, GPS connection, LED signals and taillight, keyed ignition plus regular street stuff like headlight, horn etc.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for individual components, wiring diagrams, electrical connectors or any thing else that might help.

Specific questions;
on what dual sport kit would be best to start with, I was thinking the TUSK kit then adding a regulator/rectifier into the loop. Don't really want a kit with the guts mounted to the headlight.

what type of fuse/terminal block would I need to run all the accessories? What thermoswitch? would I need to control the fan?

Lots of questions I know. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian
ODSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #942
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODSC1 View Post
I recently bought my third XR650R. It's a mint 2005 that looks like it came right off the showroom floor. It's almost too nice to work on!

Anyways what I plan to do with this one is to make an adventure touring bike. I already have much of the mechanical stuff figured out and already many of the parts in my collection. The electrical stuff is a little harder to get started on. I know what I want but not sure the best way to do it.

Here are my requirements;
Grip heaters, Rad fan, GPS connection, LED signals and taillight, keyed ignition plus regular street stuff like headlight, horn etc.

So, I'm looking for suggestions for individual components, wiring diagrams, electrical connectors or any thing else that might help.

Specific questions;
on what dual sport kit would be best to start with, I was thinking the TUSK kit then adding a regulator/rectifier into the loop. Don't really want a kit with the guts mounted to the headlight.

what type of fuse/terminal block would I need to run all the accessories? What thermoswitch? would I need to control the fan?

Lots of questions I know. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian
Congrats on your new bike. Others have built the kind of adventure bike you're talking about and you'll find all the answers to your questions on this thread. Going back through the postings may also give you ideas for things you haven't thought of. I know they did for me. Regarding the Tusk kit, the handlebar switch they use is the K&S Technologies model and it's only rated at 72 watts, so if you want to run a high powered headlight you'll need to use a relay so all the current doesn't go through the switch. Also, you'll want to make sure the keyed ignition switch can handle the current you need to run through it. Another thing to consider is that the wiring gauge used in the various kits is marginal when you connect all the options (high powered headlight, fan, heated grips, gps, driving lights, etc.) so many have created their own wiring harness using heavier gauge wiring. To me, It's been more than worth the time and effort involved to have peace of mind when I'm out in the middle of nowhere, plus after doing it yourself you'll know your electrical system inside out and will be able to quickly solve any problems that might occur. Just my 2 cents worth.
Gildus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #943
ODSC1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildus View Post
Congrats on your new bike. Others have built the kind of adventure bike you're talking about and you'll find all the answers to your questions on this thread. Going back through the postings may also give you ideas for things you haven't thought of. I know they did for me. Regarding the Tusk kit, the handlebar switch they use is the K&S Technologies model and it's only rated at 72 watts, so if you want to run a high powered headlight you'll need to use a relay so all the current doesn't go through the switch. Also, you'll want to make sure the keyed ignition switch can handle the current you need to run through it. Another thing to consider is that the wiring gauge used in the various kits is marginal when you connect all the options (high powered headlight, fan, heated grips, gps, driving lights, etc.) so many have created their own wiring harness using heavier gauge wiring. To me, It's been more than worth the time and effort involved to have peace of mind when I'm out in the middle of nowhere, plus after doing it yourself you'll know your electrical system inside out and will be able to quickly solve any problems that might occur. Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start re-reading all the posts with the intent of putting together my own DS kit. The switch with the Tusk kit has either a horn or kill switch but not both so I'll rule that one out and go with the other DOT switch from K&S.

Brian
ODSC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #944
frickenmotarded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Mystery Stator

Hey guys I picked up a 01 XRR a couple weeks back and I've been slowly making my way through all the maintenance to get it right. The previous owner had some unknown high output stator in conjunction with a BD DSK installed when I picked it up which has since died on me. It started to dim and flicker until there was almost no light output at all. The battery is rather large and tests well mounted in a ok-ish mount over the trans under the tank. It's wired following http://www.bajadesigns.com/docs/tech...-sport-kit.pdf but flickers and barely makes any light which means its wrong. I'm going to go complete DC system since I'll end up with HID's shortly I'm sure.

So I really just have a couple questions:
EDIT: Electrosport maybe?... I'm Going to be pissed.. Wiring seems to differ from electrosport. and there is no continuity between the 2 legs.
1# Does anyone recognize this stator? It has 17 poles and 6 Wires headed out. Black and Red to coil, Yellow and Orange on 1 leg and white and green on another leg. The Harness also has the 2 wires for the trigger.

2# Since I don't know what kind of stator it is I'm unsure of the wattage and thus have to find a High wattage R/R so I don't potentially toast it. Could I run 2 BD R/R's in parallel 1 leg each into 1 battery and dc circuit? Or would that cause a problem since the 2 legs and R/R's might be charging at different voltages. I know RickyStator makes a 200watt R/R but I also know that there are stators that make more than that.

Thanks in Advance!

frickenmotarded screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 05:56 PM
frickenmotarded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #945
Gildus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I you place the entire current from a fully wound stator (250/250W) to the DC or AC side of the stock wiring harness, somethings going to to go sooner or later. Just too much power for that thin gauge wire. If you want all DC, I'd suggest building a new wiring harness with thick gauge wire. I use a BD stator (250W) and a Ricky Stator rectifier (250W) to handle the power and it works like a charm with my beefier harness.
Gildus is offline   Reply With Quote