Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #1036
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLEISCOOL View Post
Sorry to chime in on this but I called baja designs and for the squadron he said I HAVE to convert to DC for it to work. Is he bs and just wants me to purchase more stuff from them?
Yes, he's right. A simple led diode will illuminate during 1/2 of the AC signal. The bright LEDs that you see being sold as driving lights and light bars require circuitry that is included in the lights housing. This circuitry (often called a controller) does not work on AC voltage. If you want an LED headlight you need DC.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #1037
KYLEISCOOL
Who

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Yes, he's right. A simple led diode will illuminate during 1/2 of the AC signal. The bright LEDs that you see being sold as driving lights and light bars require circuitry that is included in the lights housing. This circuitry (often called a controller) does not work on AC voltage. If you want an LED headlight you need DC.
Thank ya sir. Just needed some other opinion to make sure im not spending unnecessary funds. Now if im totally stock as for electronics and want to go with the squadron all I need to add is the reg/rec that BD sells and im good to go? Any removing of parts? Do I have to have a battery? Cause the squadron consumes 44 watts and i believe the pig can produce somewhere around 75 watts. Plus I have an led running brake lamp . but that I think only consumes a few watts. I dont want to run the headlight during the day so i can save the lights life. But dont i need something to be using up some power so i dont burn anything up? Ya its alot of ??? but I want to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #1038
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Thank ya sir. Just needed some other opinion to make sure im not spending unnecessary funds. Now if im totally stock as for electronics and want to go with the squadron all I need to add is the reg/rec that BD sells and im good to go? Any removing of parts? Do I have to have a battery? Cause the squadron consumes 44 watts and i believe the pig can produce somewhere around 75 watts. Plus I have an led running brake lamp . but that I think only consumes a few watts. I dont want to run the headlight during the day so i can save the lights life. But dont i need something to be using up some power so i dont burn anything up? Ya its alot of ??? but I want to be safe than sorry.
The VR/Reg has some loss associated with it, not sure how much, I'd call them and ask if it'd work on their light.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #1039
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
No, that is a POS. Burned one up already.

Nope, I am not seeing the one I have on that site. Maybe I didn't get it from them.
It is this one http://www.customled.com/products/fl...outRegion14LYR

It seems bullet proof, two wire hookup, in series.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #1040
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

You shouldn't have any problems running 44w through your standard cheapy motorcycle multi switch so you can shut it off during the day.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #1041
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
No, that is a POS. Burned one up already.

Nope, I am not seeing the one I have on that site. Maybe I didn't get it from them.
It is this one http://www.customled.com/products/fl...outRegion14LYR

It seems bullet proof, two wire hookup, in series.
That requires a dc source. I don't think an led AC flasher exists no?
Old 03-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #1042
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That requires a dc source. I don't think an led AC flasher exists no?

Umm, no ac led flasher. That would just be weird, like the man-bra.

However, I think that unit will still work with only ac going to it as long as it has leds in series with it. The leds, as stated earlier, act as a half-wave rectifier so the flasher will essentially only see a dc power source. However, you may run in to problems at or near idle.

I had an all ac system for a while with leds blinkers. I just added a full-wave recitifier to pull a dc source from the ac circuit.

My current system (ac+dc) runs the blinkers and that flasher just fine without a battery connected. Without the battery the dc source is messy and not far from being an ac signal because of the lack of buffering.

If your leds are working good on ac, wait until you see them on DC.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #1043
Jayrod1318
Poster

New headlight?

Yea, eventually ill break down and get a bigger stator and do a rectifier.
But I'm a cheap bastige.

On an unrelated note:

Here's an idea for someone who wants to update the stock headlight. How bout a stock crf250l fender and light? It was stroke of brilliance last night. I have not replaced the stocker because I haven't found anything I like the looks of. I saw that Crf light and instantly got excited. It will be perfect! I need to see one in person to make sure but I think it should work.

Jayrod1318 screwed with this post 03-14-2013 at 05:19 PM
Jayrod1318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #1044
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
But I'm a cheap bastige.

On an unrelated note:

Here's an idea for someone who wants to update the stock headlight. How bout a stock crf250l fender and light? It was stroke of brilliance last night. I have not replaced the stocker because I haven't found anything I like the looks of. I saw that Crf light and instantly got excited. It will be perfect! I need to see one in person to make sure but I think it should work.

I like the look, but isn't the fender that weird pink red?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #1045
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
But I'm a cheap bastige.

On an unrelated note:

The OE honda light assy is nice, that one is off the street legal version, pricey & very hard to come by used. I looked into a CRF(X) light one time, the cost was prohibitive for me.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #1046
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The OE honda light assy is nice, that one is off the street legal version, pricey & very hard to come by used. I looked into a CRF(X) light one time, the cost was prohibitive for me.
Same here. I watched e-bay for 3 months without a single listing. I also priced a new one from bike bandit. It was way high.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #1047
Jayrod1318
Poster

Headlight is 95 bucks ,plastic is 36 and the fender is 35. Bulb was 20
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #1048
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Headlight is 95 bucks ,plastic is 36 and the fender is 35. Bulb was 20

That's pricey for a particular look when the end result will be similar brightness as the stock light. You're almost at the price of a BD Light but you'd still need to switch over to dc.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #1049
kunz82414
n00b

Oddometer: 5
xr650r dual output stator and baja designs kit

new here; looks like a lot of good info.

I just finished wiring in my Baja designs dual sport kit and none of the lights or electronics work. I have a dual output stator and read that I need to put in a relay reccomended by Baja Designs. Does anyone know if this is the case.

I have the kit where the battery and everything is stored behind the front number plate/headlight.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
kunz82414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #1050
BuRPsa
Finally growing up..

Oddometer: 548
Guys,

got a Q: anyone knows of or has SW for drawing wiring diagrams?
Free intuitive stuff if at all possible please, and the use of colours would help a lot. I'm only looking for a picture, not simulations or why.
Anyone?
BuRPsa is offline   Reply With Quote