Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #1096
bill pierce
I don't wana pickle

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintax View Post
Hey Guys,

Sorry to be a pest, but does anyone have any comments on this one?
I don't know about the BD kit for sure, but the switch I used was only good for 60 watts. I think your going to need a relay or your headlight switch won't last 10 minutes.

edit.. don't forget to fuse it as well.
Yamaha FZR 1000 (sold)
Honda Cr 500 sold
bill pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #1097
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill pierce View Post
I don't know about the BD kit for sure, but the switch I used was only good for 60 watts. I think your going to need a relay or your headlight switch won't last 10 minutes.

edit.. don't forget to fuse it as well.
Thats what i'm trying to get at, I dont think I want to run it switched. I think i'm just going to hardwire it on all of the time since its the only thing on that AC loop.
sintax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:38 PM   #1098
cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
I am looking to convert my xr to DC.

Currently I have the stock stator and a dual sport kit that runs off a small nicad pack, and a 50w headlight.

I want to remove the headlight and add a 14,4w led light. What is needed to complete this conversion?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #1099
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
I am looking to convert my xr to DC.

Currently I have the stock stator and a dual sport kit that runs off a small nicad pack, and a 50w headlight.

I want to remove the headlight and add a 14,4w led light. What is needed to complete this conversion?
Can you provide some more info on the DSK that you are running? That may give us some more clue as to what hardware and what configuration you need to have that hardware in.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #1100
cognugget
n00b

Quote:
Can you provide some more info on the DSK that you are running? That may give us some more clue as to what hardware and what configuration you need to have that hardware in.
Its just the tusk kit. Im looking to run the adv monster m62 with dimmer
Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #1101
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

ok, so thats the one where you have to manually charge your battery to run the DSK and the current headlamp runs off AC.

How comfortable are you with wiring and general electrical theory? IF you are comfortable rewiring the bike i'd suggest the following...

picking up a DC R/R, the baja designs unit is nice. You can run your power from the stator into that, you'll also want to pick up another battery pack, or reuse your current, and move it under the seat if you can fit it. You should be able to tie your existing DSK into the new system without much trouble. Just read this thread from start to finish a couple of times, honestly it'll take you a few min, but its well worth it.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #1102
BillyD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post

Any particular reason the grip heaters ground goes to the floated AC ground even though they are fed by DC positive?

KTM '08 690 RFR, '08 990Adv S (carbs), '07 640Adv, '03 540EXC, Ducati 851, Moto Guzzi 850 Lemans, Ercole & 2VT and Yamaha RD350.
BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:53 AM   #1103
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Any particular reason the grip heaters ground goes to the floated AC ground even though they are fed by DC positive?
Good catch! That was a mistake in the drawing. They can be run off ether one (AC or DC) but the ground is shown incorrectly for it to be fed from the DC.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #1104
cognugget
n00b

Quote:
ok, so thats the one where you have to manually charge your battery to run the DSK and the current headlamp runs off AC.

How comfortable are you with wiring and general electrical theory? IF you are comfortable rewiring the bike i'd suggest the following...

picking up a DC R/R, the baja designs unit is nice. You can run your power from the stator into that, you'll also want to pick up another battery pack, or reuse your current, and move it under the seat if you can fit it. You should be able to tie your existing DSK into the new system without much trouble. Just read this thread from start to finish a couple of times, honestly it'll take you a few min, but its well worth it.
Very comfortable, just looking for the best proven option. So If I am to pick up the baja designs rectifier/regulator will I still need the oem regulator?

cognugget screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 08:38 AM
cognugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #1105
sintax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cognugget View Post
Very comfortable, just looking for the best proven option. So If I am to pick up the baja designs rectifier/regulator will I still need the oem regulator?
It depends on what your plans are. The only reason you would need the stock AC regulator would be if you were going to run a rewound stator and were going to run an AC and DC circuit.

If you just plan on having 1 DC circuit, you wont need it.

My bike when I bought it, had been converted to DC only. I had Baja Designs rewind the stator. I kept the DC loop as is, and added the AC regulator back, and run the headlight off of that in an isolated AC loop.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #1106
cognugget
n00b

Wicked

Quote:
It depends on what your plans are. The only reason you would need the stock AC regulator would be if you were going to run a rewound stator and were going to run an AC and DC circuit.

If you just plan on having 1 DC circuit, you wont need it.

My bike when I bought it, had been converted to DC only. I had Baja Designs rewind the stator. I kept the DC loop as is, and added the AC regulator back, and run the headlight off of that in an isolated AC loop.
I will run all DC. Everything is going to be LED except the stock tail light. I will be buying the unwired baja designs regulator rectifier for my set.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #1107
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Arrrgh! WTF did I do? My bike had a key switch wired in I snipped it off and now none of my lights work.

Now I have this rats nest to work through.

Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #1108
lstzephyr
Solo con rambo

Oddometer: 1,778
Option 1: Put the key switch back the way it was. Leave it alone.

Option 2: Put the key switch back. Start checking and chasing connections to figure out where everything goes.

Option 3: Figure out what isn't connected.

Option 4: Make a new harness.

That is the way I see it. I bet they ran the power to the headlight through the key switch. I would start at the key wiring and see what is powered up while kicking/running and then hook it to the lights. It is usually easier to change things while they are working so I would most likely do number 2. Good luck.
lstzephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #1109
Woundflatout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstzephyr View Post
Option 3: Figure out what isn't connected.

Option 4: Make a new harness.

Good luck.
I thought about what was disconnected, and I took a chance at putting together 2 wires that were dangling...one was red which is universal for power and one was black...it worked and I didn't even fry my wiring!

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Jason
Rallymoto #159
Woundflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #1110
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Thanks Lex

Well, I finally got my own BRP. Thanks Lex for the wiring diagram. UPS has been busy making deliveries so we'll see how this electrical shakes out. Thanks to Mike @ Ricky Stator and Paul @ HDB for their help.