User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #1111
TunaGod06
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Good Evening,

I'm wrapping up converting an XR650R to street trim. I originally purchased one of the BD battery packs, but it couldn't run the brake lights and ignition switch/relay more than 10 seconds without dying. I upgraded to one of the 1.3ah SLA batteries recommended in this thread.

I'm planning on installing an RFID ignition switch and have that part working, but I'm worried about draining the battery having it run the ignition system, lights, etc before I can get the bike started.

My question is, can I wire in a relay from the RR to switch on the brake lights, radiator fan, trailtech, etc once the bike is running? Do you guys see any issues with hooking things up this way?

Thanks!

-Tuna
TunaGod06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:17 AM   #1112
baachor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Wink another messy electr ic R

Hello,

just got me new XR650R 2001 plated (CALIFORNIA). I'm on post #115 so far. Didn't find answer yet.

My bike has some kind of basic street legal kit on it. It even doesn't have a battery,horn (because it wouldn't have enough juice? ).

It got some tiny flashers by front light. Previous owner put some "hard to be seen on streets" rear blinkers so close to exhaust that they burned on my way home from him

So I put newer super bright LEDs. But they won't flash now. So reading here found out and ordered TUSK flusher.And horn BD.

What is the cheapest way to get it to work? As I've read here that bikes in here in California has to be able have a light on for 20 min with engine turned off? wow

Can't afford BD rewired stator (yet).

Can anyone tell me (from pictures) what are my options?

Thank You

(you can see burnt blinker by exhaust,I changed it and bigger tank too)

baachor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #1113
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaGod06 View Post
Good Evening,

I'm wrapping up converting an XR650R to street trim. I originally purchased one of the BD battery packs, but it couldn't run the brake lights and ignition switch/relay more than 10 seconds without dying. I upgraded to one of the 1.3ah SLA batteries recommended in this thread.

I'm planning on installing an RFID ignition switch and have that part working, but I'm worried about draining the battery having it run the ignition system, lights, etc before I can get the bike started.

My question is, can I wire in a relay from the RR to switch on the brake lights, radiator fan, trailtech, etc once the bike is running? Do you guys see any issues with hooking things up this way?

Thanks!

-Tuna
Yes, I was going to do the same thing for the same reason.
Running a split stator ac/dc. I was going to use the ac side to power an AC relay to switch the battery on an off. So when it runs the batt is in the circuit, when its off the battery is out of the circuit.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #1114
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

You should be fine once you install a LED flasher, but the lights will flicker at idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baachor View Post
Hello,

just got me new XR650R 2001 plated (CALIFORNIA). I'm on post #115 so far. Didn't find answer yet.

My bike has some kind of basic street legal kit on it. It even doesn't have a battery,horn (because it wouldn't have enough juice? ).

It got some tiny flashers by front light. Previous owner put some "hard to be seen on streets" rear blinkers so close to exhaust that they burned on my way home from him

So I put newer super bright LEDs. But they won't flash now. So reading here found out and ordered TUSK flusher.And horn BD.

What is the cheapest way to get it to work? As I've read here that bikes in here in California has to be able have a light on for 20 min with engine turned off? wow

Can't afford BD rewired stator (yet).

Can anyone tell me (from pictures) what are my options?

Thank You

(you can see burnt blinker by exhaust,I changed it and bigger tank too)

Old 06-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #1115
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Did the turn signal work on this bike?It sounds like the PO never even had direct current on this bike.You need dc for turn signals+ horn or any led lights.The stock stator will make dc if connected to a regulator/rectifier assembly.In stock trim everything on a xrr is a/c.The beauty of the system is that the ignition is a completely separate circuit and is not dependant on the battery(if added).You could run a rectifier/regulator in parallel with the headlight to get dc and it will charge a battery but not fast.I have all led lights on my xrr + radiator fan and only need 100 watts .ther is a web site called the pig pen that has an article about winding yout own stator.

oldxr screwed with this post 06-25-2013 at 12:24 PM Reason: spelling
oldxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:37 PM   #1116
baachor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
You should be fine once you install a LED flasher, but the lights will flicker at idle.
Hopefully crypto666

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
Did the turn signal work on this bike?It sounds like the PO never even had direct current on this bike.You need dc for turn signals+ horn or any led lights.The stock stator will make dc if connected to a regulator/rectifier assembly.In stock trim everything on a xrr is a/c.The beauty of the system is that the ignition is a completely separate circuit and is not dependant on the battery(if added).You could run a rectifier/regulator in parallel with the headlight to get dc and it will charge a battery but not fast.I have all led lights on my xrr + radiator fan and only need 100 watts .ther is a web site called the pig pen that has an article about winding yout own stator.
Yes,all blinkers (LED,flash) worked before. I put new ones in back (brighter ones) and it just lid up tiny bit,no flashing. Hopefully TUSK flasher will fix that. And probably because of not enough "juice" there is no HORN

I was looking at that rewinding article,it is bit old (2003) not sure if I can find same parts. Might do it thou.

That sounds great,all from 100watts? Where do I find out how to do it. I'm not electrician but I can learn easily
I don't even know what all those "things" are under the seat. Assuming one is the regulator. Totally noob here.
The manual should be here tomorrow,I guess I can find some parts names in there
I love learning about this bike

Thank You Advriders for your advice
Old 06-27-2013, 01:47 AM   #1117
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,063
Stock stator is supposed to be only 35 watts.The stator only puts out a/c current.On the original xrr wiring everything was a/c current-no need for d/c.There might be some dual sport kits that can run a/c turn signals but i have not heard of this.Any LED lights need d/c.Gps units need d/c.My xrr was not converted by me.I have a big ball of connectors behind my headlight.I dont like that. If I were to do this over everything would be run under the seat and all connectors would be there.Everybodies xrr's end up being almost a custom built bike.
oldxr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #1118
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hopefully crypto666

Yes,all blinkers (LED,flash) worked before. I put new ones in back (brighter ones) and it just lid up tiny bit,no flashing. Hopefully TUSK flasher will fix that. And probably because of not enough "juice" there is no HORN

I was looking at that rewinding article,it is bit old (2003) not sure if I can find same parts. Might do it thou.

That sounds great,all from 100watts? Where do I find out how to do it. I'm not electrician but I can learn easily
I don't even know what all those "things" are under the seat. Assuming one is the regulator. Totally noob here.
The manual should be here tomorrow,I guess I can find some parts names in there
I love learning about this bike

Thank You Advriders for your advice
Well, the regulator does not look like a stock reg, and more like a regulator/rectifier. So I am assuming you have a dc system already.

If you don't have one, buy yourself a DMM (digital multi meter) so you can check voltage and such. Beware however, that without a battery or any other kind of buffering in the system, you may get some bizarro readings.

Gobrushless.com has good mag wire. You want good mag wire, not ok mag wire (its the coating thats important).
Old 06-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #1119
baachor
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldxr View Post
Stock stator is supposed to be only 35 watts.The stator only puts out a/c current.On the original xrr wiring everything was a/c current-no need for d/c.There might be some dual sport kits that can run a/c turn signals but i have not heard of this.Any LED lights need d/c.Gps units need d/c.My xrr was not converted by me.I have a big ball of connectors behind my headlight.I dont like that. If I were to do this over everything would be run under the seat and all connectors would be there.Everybodies xrr's end up being almost a custom built bike.
oldxr,
I hear yea. When I went to look for bikes I saw 5 bikes with totally DIFFERENT "custom built" electricity
One of them looked like yours,lots of cables. I was about to get that one (already set up for GPS,battery....) but overall bike looked beaten up. So I choose the one I have,almost pure stock an nice condition. But electric too basic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Well, the regulator does not look like a stock reg, and more like a regulator/rectifier. So I am assuming you have a dc system already.

If you don't have one, buy yourself a DMM (digital multi meter) so you can check voltage and such. Beware however, that without a battery or any other kind of buffering in the system, you may get some bizarro readings.

Gobrushless.com has good mag wire. You want good mag wire, not ok mag wire (its the coating thats important).
Crypto666,
looking at Manual (learning part's names) looks like that this bike actually has original A/C regulator

I don't get it why blinkers won't work now.

Anyhow. How can I fix it? Rectifier and battery from BD? Anyone can help me how to wire it up? Also wire horn in it too.
Thanks

added: thanx for link on wire, I might do it soon by myself ;) how many did you use? I just saw they have bullet connectors that someone here is using...cool link

baachor screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 09:50 PM Reason: adding
Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #1120
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,137
mine was a mess of wires till I cleaned it up

Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 PM   #1121
baachor
Adventurer

great job! nice set up
Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #1122
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,137
Quote:
great job! nice set up
Thanks ... it was about a days work but now its done and been running for 6 odd months with no issue's im glad I did it

The best part about it tho is I did it all and im a dumbass when it comes to electrical ....so I know it back to front and could solve and issue in min's if need be

running a thermofan, spotlights, twin tail light, 12v outlet, grip warmers, gps,vapour and anything else I would like to wire up, fuse blocks make it a lot neater IMO
Sean-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #1123
baachor
Adventurer

Wink help with wiring DC into stock

Do you guys still enjoy electric puzzles? lol

NOTE:I've never messed with electric so pardon my noobiness.Learning a lot!
added: btw,up untill I bought this bike I knew AC/DC only as a rock band haha

Here's the bike I just bought:

Looking at Stock diagram and my bike,basically my bike (plated) is STOCK (55W Stator,all AC,35W headlight) with ADDED:

-LED blinkers
-BD LED tail/brake - with stock tail missing
-"Leonelli Art 074 Pat" handlebar switch (WTF google won't find much details haha)
-flasher (TUSK LED one since NEW rear blinkers didn't and still don't flash after I changed them)

Learned here that I need to make it DC in order to run horn and LED flasher (also California law:light must be on with engine off for 20 min).

So I bought:

-horn (BD)
-reg/rect (BD wired one with fuse)
-Battery (BD)

On what I have learned/read so far is that all DC must be floated (not grounded to frame).
Headlight must be on DC (CA law) - not that I care that much actually

How do I connect it all?

This is what I think how to do this (just would like you guys to confirm,add,suggest,help please ):

1. Change AC reg(Yellow,white & Green) to BD reg/rect (Yellow & Yellow ????)
2. BD reg/rect BLACK -> Negative on Batt.
RED -> Positive on Batt. -> RED w/ Fuse -> Load
3. ground from Tail,blinkers,horn to NEgative on battery (float) ???
4. there is black (ground?) on handlebar switch that goes to blinkers,should I leave it (not sure if it is ground)?
5. assuming stock Headlight is not High beam,means I need new Headlight that stock 55W stator would be able to handle= 35W? this sounds intresting $$
6. also assuming I have to wire Headlight to DC too?
7. current FLASHER has 2 wires, ONE to blue on Headlight and OTHER goes to ORANGE on Hendlabar switch,leave it?
8. do I need 16 AWG wire?
9. do I need FUSES?
10. I'd like to wire it for "possible" future BD stator rewound setup
11. and thinking about installing BD key switch also
12. Thinking about getting fan too, in near future

I have to say I like RideFreak's wire diagram but I don't have dual stator (yet=$$).

Thank You all for helping in this amazing post

baachor screwed with this post 07-07-2013 at 09:59 PM Reason: adding
Old 07-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #1124
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,331
Sounds like you have a good idea of what you need to do. Since nobody makes a good harness for the XR I suggest you make one yourself. In the long run it's the best option if you get decent connectors and make good crimps. My suggestion is this, leave the stock harness unmolested. Build a simple harness that will go from the AC wires at the stator connections to the battery, VR/Reg and headlight area items, everything that needs DC. Later if you decide to get a dual (Hi) output stator you'll be able to plug one output into the Harness you made and one into the stock harness giving you AC and DC and plenty of power to run the list of items you've come up with.

The wiring diagram I posted is about as basic as it gets, if you can apply those circuits and design to your situation you'll be in good shape.
RideFreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #1125
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Baachor, all I can say is congratualtions. Most people get scared an run away, but you went headlong in to it.

I second that it sounds like you are on the right track.

Fuses are good, but I use the small self-resetting circuit breakers that plug in to a fuse holder. Either way is fine.

Are you in the US? I will sell you my old stator if you want something to rewind.