cognugget
n00b

Oddometer: 243
Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #1127
baachor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Thanx RideFreak,

great idea. I will do that. So from stock I just have to put headlight into DC harness. Just to make sure,I have to float all DC. What about kill switch?Which is frame grounded?What else I have to make sure is not frame grounded?

I appreciate your time helping us here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
Sounds like you have a good idea of what you need to do. Since nobody makes a good harness for the XR I suggest you make one yourself. In the long run it's the best option if you get decent connectors and make good crimps. My suggestion is this, leave the stock harness unmolested. Build a simple harness that will go from the AC wires at the stator connections to the battery, VR/Reg and headlight area items, everything that needs DC. Later if you decide to get a dual (Hi) output stator you'll be able to plug one output into the Harness you made and one into the stock harness giving you AC and DC and plenty of power to run the list of items you've come up with.

The wiring diagram I posted is about as basic as it gets, if you can apply those circuits and design to your situation you'll be in good shape.

Thanks Crypto666,

which fuse holder are you using? Which circuit? I have no idea how it looks like,where to get it,which kind...

Assuming your stator you are offering me is stock. Yes I'm in US,Calif. I'm not sure if I want to do it myself. Might be easier and safer for long run to go with BD instead of doing it myself.I've read a lot of unsuccessfull rewinds.
Thank You for offer thou, and helping all in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
Baachor, all I can say is congratualtions. Most people get scared an run away, but you went headlong in to it.

I second that it sounds like you are on the right track.

Fuses are good, but I use the small self-resetting circuit breakers that plug in to a fuse holder. Either way is fine.

Are you in the US? I will sell you my old stator if you want something to rewind.
What can I do about the headlight? It is not highbeam right?
baachor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #1128
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by baachor View Post
Thanx RideFreak,

great idea. I will do that. So from stock I just have to put headlight into DC harness. Just to make sure,I have to float all DC. What about kill switch?Which is frame grounded?What else I have to make sure is not frame grounded?

I appreciate your time helping us here

Thanks Crypto666,

which fuse holder are you using? Which circuit? I have no idea how it looks like,where to get it,which kind...

Assuming your stator you are offering me is stock. Yes I'm in US,Calif. I'm not sure if I want to do it myself. Might be easier and safer for long run to go with BD instead of doing it myself.I've read a lot of unsuccessfull rewinds.
Thank You for offer thou, and helping all in here

What can I do about the headlight? It is not highbeam right?
You'll need a hi/lo setup for the HL with a handlebar switch. As you can see this isn't bolt on a few items and run through inspection. You mentioned getting a stator later, the stock stator will never keep up a battery with what you require (Lights work for XX min engine off) I'd show up at inspection with a well charged battery that can meet the insp requirments, then setup up the way that makes the most sense after it's tagged. Running a HL for xx min engine off isn't what you want or you'll be lugging a significant sized battery around.

I prefer to leave the stock harness grounded as it comes, (at the ign coil and at the AC reg) The DC doesn't get grounded, all grounds tie into the batt (-). The Vr/Reg is the only exception, it is usally bolted to something metal, that never effected mine. (rickystator Vreg/Rect) I prefer a dual winding ac/dc setup, it's simple to wire up and allways worked great for me.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Canyonlands Adventure Ride 2013 / 700 Miles of Scenic Utah Backcountry / VIDEOS
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #1129
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
I agree with RF, do what you have to do to get tagged, then you can add or lose what you want.
When I lived in Utah, I would show up with everything including a horn. That only lasted a couple hours where it would all come off until next year.

Nevada, hell they don't even know I actually own a bike or what it looks like as long as I pay the money.

I have a mechanical high beam using a modified Ricky Stator light bar and dual PIAA lights. When I see on coming traffic, I reach forward and push the light down. After they pass, I reach forward and pull it back again. Simple, but works. The tough part is getting the right tension so they don't move on their own.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #1130
baachor
Adventurer

RideFreak,

I don't have to go though inspection.It is plated already. Yea I know

Yea I like idea of having lights on AC (in case battery dies or whatever). It is CA law thou,not sure if I should worry about it.

What is Vreg/rect? what V means?

So doing dual I'd leave stock with reg,and add rectifier? But that's only with rewound stator right?

And what about low/high beam light? Sounds like I need either new light,or is there just bulb with high beam that would fit in stock?

Sorry I'm new. And I should also mention that english is not my born language so some words are new to me. Please be patient with me

Anyhow,it sounds like it would be better if I just did rewound through BD rather than messing with it now and change it later since I will need more POWER (watt) later anyway.
BD is so close from me and it takes only 2 days for order to get here. Well there is also $ part.

Sounds like I just need about $160 for stator and that way it would be all set up for future (and light,fuse holders,wires,connectors...wow boy $$$)

Do you by chance have a pictures of how and where you mounted it all?

Thank You for your help!

btw i did my 1st valve adjust and cleaned carb bit for 1st time,getting there

Quote:
You'll need a hi/lo setup for the HL with a handlebar switch. As you can see this isn't bolt on a few items and run through inspection. You mentioned getting a stator later, the stock stator will never keep up a battery with what you require (Lights work for XX min engine off) I'd show up at inspection with a well charged battery that can meet the insp requirments, then setup up the way that makes the most sense after it's tagged. Running a HL for xx min engine off isn't what you want or you'll be lugging a significant sized battery around.

I prefer to leave the stock harness grounded as it comes, (at the ign coil and at the AC reg) The DC doesn't get grounded, all grounds tie into the batt (-). The Vr/Reg is the only exception, it is usally bolted to something metal, that never effected mine. (rickystator Vreg/Rect) I prefer a dual winding ac/dc setup, it's simple to wire up and allways worked great for me.

baachor screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 03:09 PM Reason: typo
Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #1131
baachor
Adventurer

Maybe I should move to Nevada

My bike is plated already,DMV here in CA won't plate them anymore for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I agree with RF, do what you have to do to get tagged, then you can add or lose what you want.
When I lived in Utah, I would show up with everything including a horn. That only lasted a couple hours where it would all come off until next year.

Nevada, hell they don't even know I actually own a bike or what it looks like as long as I pay the money.

I have a mechanical high beam using a modified Ricky Stator light bar and dual PIAA lights. When I see on coming traffic, I reach forward and push the light down. After they pass, I reach forward and pull it back again. Simple, but works. The tough part is getting the right tension so they don't move on their own.

baachor screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 07:54 PM Reason: add
Old 07-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #1132
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Quote:
Maybe I should move to Nevada

My bike is plated already,DMV won't plate them anymore for years.
If it doesn't need inspected, I'd run the HL off the ac (100W) and run the rest (DC) off the second windings. You'll need a real light, stock light is pretty useless. I used a honda XR650L LH handlebar switch and changed the connectors to connect to the light (AC) and horn (DC). The Vreg/Rect is voltage regulator rectifier, the 2 of the stator outputs connect to it as well as the battery, it's shown in the diagram.

This is how I chose to do the battery. If I had to do it completly over again from scratch. I'd go 100% DC and run two 4" LED light bars, 6K lumins (3k each) I got to see a BD Squadron LED in the dez at night, very impressive.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to rather skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ... Holy Shit, what a ride!"
Old 07-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #1133
baachor
Adventurer

Chris,
I don't have 2 windings = stock stator.
Do I wire headlight to DC as well? Otherwise I'd have to keep AC reg for light which doesn't make sense to me(pls correct me).
added: is this a bulb I can add to stock light? what should I look for when buying bulb low/high beam?
Looking at how much $ I need for now (wires,light...) I will be ok with stock for while
I'm in last pages on XR650R electricity post and I'm so grateful for people like You!
Thank You

I like your small SLA battery holder. Btw,I've seen pictures of your bike elsewhere and I love your rear brake cylinder cover and one on other side,where did you get those shiny things?
You have very nice bike Chris! Very well taken care off.

Quote:
If it doesn't need inspected, I'd run the HL off the ac (100W) and run the rest (DC) off the second windings. You'll need a real light, stock light is pretty useless. I used a honda XR650L LH handlebar switch and changed the connectors to connect to the light (AC) and horn (DC). The Vreg/Rect is voltage regulator rectifier, the 2 of the stator outputs connect to it as well as the battery, it's shown in the diagram.

This is how I chose to do the battery. If I had to do it completly over again from scratch. I'd go 100% DC and run two 4" LED light bars, 6K lumins (3k each) I got to see a BD Squadron LED in the dez at night, very impressive.

baachor screwed with this post 07-09-2013 at 08:03 PM Reason: add
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #1134
Gunga Galunga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
x2

Quote:
I'm in last pages on XR650R electricity post and I'm so grateful for people like You!
Thank You

I like your small SLA battery holder.
I was thinking the same things.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #1135
sunnybandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Wink

does anybody have a pic or any clues on a propper rad brace for this IMS 7 gal tank I got ? I know Americas a well gassed up place but It would be nice to be able to ride for a while before having to stop. (and go explore places and not worry about gas to get back)

Thanks!!!
sunnybandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:55 AM   #1136
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

You def want DC available to be able to blow the horn and run LED lights (low power) the probalm is, the stock stator doesn't hardly put out any power. It will barely run the 35W headlight and at idle it's pathetic. That's why everyone rewinds their stator or purchases a higher output model. There's not allot of point changing bulbs around till you get the power up to a point where it usable. Stock, the bike doesn't make enough to provide usable light. Take it out on a trail at night with the stock light and see how it works. On a road with no light around you'll end up slowing way down because it's so dim.

We all came to this painfull discovery, (stock, the XRs electrical system won't work), not enough power to run a decent light plus it's AC so it won't run blinkers or a horn. It was never designed to run all that. If you put a Vreg/Rect on the stock system it will convert it to DC but it's going to loose some power doing it so there again your lights get even dimmer. At that point there's not enough power to to the 3 things you need:
Provide a usable light
Run the horn and blinkers
Charge a battery.

You have to decide, do I want this to actually work (provide usable light, horn, possibly signals) or am I going to run this all off the stock stator.

If you plan on going with the stock stator then I really can't help you too much because it doesn't really work, it's going to give you problems trying to get the street legal stuff to work and the results will disapoint you. This thread is full of guys who wanted to go that route, most ended up rewinding or replacing their stators when they realized it won't do what they intended.

Quote:
Chris,
I don't have 2 windings = stock stator.
Do I wire headlight to DC as well? Otherwise I'd have to keep AC reg for light which doesn't make sense to me(pls correct me).
added: is this a bulb I can add to stock light? what should I look for when buying bulb low/high beam?
Looking at how much $ I need for now (wires,light...) I will be ok with stock for while
Thank You

I like your small SLA battery holder. Btw,I've seen pictures of your bike elsewhere and I love your rear brake cylinder cover and one on other side,where did you get those shiny things?

Old 07-10-2013, 07:15 AM   #1137
cognugget
n00b

Laugh

Quote:
You def want DC available to be able to blow the horn and run LED lights (low power) the probalm is, the stock stator doesn't hardly put out any power. It will barely run the 35W headlight and at idle it's pathetic. That's why everyone rewinds their stator or purchases a higher output model. There's not allot of point changing bulbs around till you get the power up to a point where it usable. Stock, the bike doesn't make enough to provide usable light. Take it out on a trail at night with the stock light and see how it works. On a road with no light around you'll end up slowing way down because it's so dim.

We all came to this painfull discovery, (stock, the XRs electrical system won't work), not enough power to run a decent light plus it's AC so it won't run blinkers or a horn. It was never designed to run all that. If you put a Vreg/Rect on the stock system it will convert it to DC but it's going to loose some power doing it so there again your lights get even dimmer. At that point there's not enough power to to the 3 things you need:
Provide a usable light
Run the horn and blinkers
Charge a battery.

You have to decide, do I want this to actually work (provide usable light, horn, possibly signals) or am I going to run this all off the stock stator.

If you plan on going with the stock stator then I really can't help you too much because it doesn't really work, it's going to give you problems trying to get the street legal stuff to work and the results will disapoint you. This thread is full of guys who wanted to go that route, most ended up rewinding or replacing their stators when they realized it won't do what they intended.
Im running a LED dual sport kit and a 14.4w 1800 lumen led light on the stock stator

Old 07-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #1138
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

That's pretty impressive cognugget, LEDs are really the only acceptable option for a stock stator but then you're straying away from the street legal requirments. Personally I'd run the LEDs long before I'd go to the trouble to get it to conform to DOT standards, did that once it was allot of work.

Got a pic of the headlight? I'm thinking of doing a LED HL conversion for my 525, I've been looking at these.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/SR-Q2...p/sr-q2-dr.htm

Old 07-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #1139
cognugget
n00b

Quote:
That's pretty impressive cognugget, LEDs are really the only acceptable option for a stock stator but then you're straying away from the street legal requirments. Personally I'd run the LEDs long before I'd go to the trouble to get it to conform to DOT standards, did that once it was allot of work.

Got a pic of the headlight? I'm thinking of doing a LED HL conversion for my 525, I've been looking at these.

http://www.rigidindustries.com/SR-Q2...p/sr-q2-dr.htm
This is a spot light as it will be for street almost 100% when its dark.

I installed a dimmer switch too.

ADV monster m62 and rotary dimmer
Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #1140
sunnybandit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I have a stock stator in like new condition if anybody needs one to get rewound.
Matt

MSE mobile
sunnybandit is offline   Reply With Quote